Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Ruger American PISTOL  (Read 11441 times)

Whathefff

New Ruger American PISTOL
« on: December 30, 2015, 05:44:59 pm »
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:51:49 pm by Whathefff »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Whathefff

Re: New Ruger American PISTOL
    « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 05:50:55 pm »
    Comes in 9mm & 45

Looks like the cost is just over $400

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:02:45 pm »
    Read about that. Mostly uninterested for the moment. Great price.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Wyatt Earp

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 06:46:20 pm »
    Looks ok, but has anyone done some firing tests of it yet?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

Wyatt Earp

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 06:54:08 pm »
    George Hill over at www.madogre.com was the first to review it AFAIK.  He's got a video and a write up of a range test and disassembly for cleaning over there.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:28:22 pm »
    Didn't know that was coming out either. I had been planning on another striker fired 9mm and had been considering either another G19 or to get the new SIG 320. I might have to add this pistol into that mix but I'll wait to see how they pan out. I've been apprehensive of any new Ruger products since they seem to often have problems to sort out with their new products. 

I like Rugers but I tend to stay with their long proven products such as their Mark series of rimfire pistols, their single action revolvers and their 10/22's. Anything besides their long proven designs I tend to shy away from.  However, I hope these turn out well as they appear to be a good value
    with that price point.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Whathefff

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 09:43:59 pm »
    I hope they make a compact version eventually / a Glock 19 size equivalent 

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 11:15:36 am »
    Looks a lot like the Taurus 24/7 to me.  Wonder if they've copied it same as they did the Kel-Tec P-3AT? 
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 11:52:13 am »
    Hmm? Wonder if the price of the SR series will come down? I got to handle a SR9c in SS, and while it had some things I didn't care for: mag safety disconnect, frame safety, it had one of the best triggers I've ever felt on a stock poly pistol.

Ruger does a poor job promoting it's pistols, if you ask me. This said they are the #1, in gun sales in the USA for a reason I suppose...
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    New Ruger American PISTOL
    « Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 01:19:03 pm »
    My Fave American Gun Company. (counting # of Rugers me an the wife own on fingers...) lesse we have 2-10/22's, a 22/45 Mk3 lite, Her Sp101 snub and The 4" Security 6 I got her, my Mini, and my SR9,SR9C tu-tone, and the LC9S replaced the Orig LC9 I had, plus I kept one of my late Uncles Blackhawks..so that's 10 Rugers..more then any other Brand. Prob had more at one point. I sold two of my late uncles Blackhawks plus his 44 Carbine.  My Wife still wants a Charger takedown.

I did see it coming because I have a good relationship with Rugers Dir of Media Ken Jorgensen and he told me last month in an Email they had something that would turn the SHOT show on its Ear. I didn't think it was another pistol tho, as Ruger has said that they would never make a semi auto without an external safety.We shall see....
    « Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:24:26 pm by Dr. Football »

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 01:28:47 pm »
    Looks a lot like the Taurus 24/7 to me.  Wonder if they've copied it same as they did the Kel-Tec P-3AT? 

The trigger mechanism doesn't really look anything like a 24/7 or any other pistol I'm familiar with.

Hmm? Wonder if the price of the SR series will come down? I got to handle a SR9c in SS, and while it had some things I didn't care for: mag safety disconnect, frame safety, it had one of the best triggers I've ever felt on a stock poly pistol.

FYI the magazine safety is really easy to remove on an SR.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 05:54:28 pm »
    They said they used a clean sheet using the U.S. Military’s Joint Combat Pistol Specification. So it should be a different design if the goal was producing a pistol that would meet or exceed the military specs. Here's a vid from the NRA's website.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 09:48:44 am »
    An early review of the pistol that they had just got on Monday.

Thomas Jefferson

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 01:55:24 pm »
    So one more review, this one by Jeff Quinn on Gunblast.  I really seem to like this pistol which is kind of strange for me since I rarely become enthused about any new production guns. 

Beside seeing how these work after they've been in production for a while (which is a problem with newly introduced Ruger products lately) my other stumbling block to buy this gun will the cost and availability of the magazines.

Makes one wonder why a manufacturer wouldn't incorporate allowing something like Glock mags to work in their design (kind of like rifles using the AR-15/M16 mags) rather always using a new propriety design. Since I want to get another 9mm pistol, it would be much cheaper for me to go with either a SIG or Glock since I already have plenty of magazines for them. But still for some reason this new Ruger is intriguing and I don't know why.

Thomas Jefferson

pyrguy

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12:41 pm »
    I'm curious about this one also. Seems like everyone is out of stock. Someone at SHOT is going to check one out and report back. Then I'll have to make a decision

Whathefff

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 11:41:12 pm »
    Anything new from Ruger will be hard to find for about the first 6 months unless you want to pay a premium, they have a huge fan base. 

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    « Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 03:44:03 am »
    I will be checking it out.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 04:28:28 am »
    Anything new from Ruger will be hard to find for about the first 6 months unless you want to pay a premium, they have a huge fan base.
    Huh? Might be where I shop... or my persistence.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

louie the lumberjack

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 10:40:25 am »
    I handled one yesterday at a shop on 32nd/Shea that I previously didn't know existed  ;-D.  Overall, I think the comparison to the Walther or HK is fair.  It feels the same as the other two except for the lack of finger grooves on the fronstrap.  The Ruger is flat but textured, and that threw me off a bit.  Trigger is nice but does not have as pronounced of a reset as the other two.  This will probably irritate a lot of people in Germany, but I'm cool with that.

louie the lumberjack
    "Can I ad hominem the shit out of him now???

Please say yes....please say yes" - LuckyLeaky

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 07:58:46 am »
    The feature that impresses me most (favorably) is the recoil reducing barrel cam.

I see it as the factor that enables the effective use of a lightweight slide, shifting a higher percentage of the overall weight to the payload.

When I move into AZ in the next few months, a pair of these in 9mm and .45ACP will be high on my list of priorities, along with a more basic version of the 22/45.

Greg
    « Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:02:28 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

Wyatt Earp

• Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: March 09, 2016, 05:32:37 pm »
    I got one in 45 from the local gun store.  It shoots real nice,  very smooth trigger and the reset is nice and sweet as well.  First mag was a little off, the second was all through the "X".
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

Wyatt Earp

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 10:30:50 am »
    So, I finally made it to AZ, and am getting my ducks in a row to enable a H/G purchase. Mine will be a RAP 9mm. H/G's have not been my thing for the past 18yr, and it's time. Not looking beyond the first purchase for now.

Enough awready; who has one and what do they think about their 9mm?

The potential exists for this H/G to be selected as the USGI Beretta replacement.

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 08:32:22 am »
    Well, I got my hands on one (RAP 9mm) yesterday. Somehow I had expected it to be a tad smaller, but Oh Well...

The grip appeared to have been set up with the smaller wrap-around. Aside from that, all the controls are very easily reached an operated, and the slide racks with surprisingly little resistance, which would be a plus for my Wife, who has some issues with her hands. I suspect the lighter recoil spring is a direct consequence of the recoil cam.

The trigger is very simply the smoothest and most agreeably light and surprising I have ever found on a factory firearm.

The dealer, however, is charging the full-tilt boogie factory list price of $579. Maybe a component of its newness; I think that's still pretty harsh. New dealer, grand opening, etc. When I mentioned I'd be looking for a pair, and could I get some kind of break, the fellow behind the counter mumbled something about how the boss might be able to take off a few bucks.

Too bad...; I'll just expand my radius and practice my patience.

Greg

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 09:48:00 am »
    Here you go Greg $399 with free shipping. Add another $15-20 for transfer fee & you're looking at $415-$420 out the door.

Good luck and good shooting.

http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95761#.VypcwlZ96bh

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 10:44:10 am »
    Thanks, I genuinely appreciate the energy and effort you've expended on my behalf.

Unfortunately, I just got hit with $3700 in contractor expenses to bring my old home up to code so it can legally be sold.

The codes changed in the 18 years I owned it.

I can write the check, but it will curtail some short-term plans.

With a will, there's a way...

Greg

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement