Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone use a shoulder holster?  (Read 6644 times)

BanxJ502

• Contributor
Anyone use a shoulder holster?
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:49:11 pm »
JUst wondering if anyone here carries in a shoulder holster? Ive been considering one for awhile. Mainly for driving but possibly other times as well.

Are they comfortable? I have so much stuff in my pockets already, phones (one work one personal), knife or knives, wallet etc that i was thinking it would be nice to get some weight off my belt.

I have been trying to search for pictures but so far its mainly just manufacture pictures and not "in use" pictures. Just to give me an idea of where the gun sits and where the extra mags sits on your person.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: Anyone use a shoulder holster?
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:00:07 pm »
    pros, comfortable

cons, everything else you can think of. i got one years ago for riding my motorcycle. soon after while training with it and wearign it around i quickly found out its a joke.

theres no rigidity for draw, you flag ppl when you draw, much slower and cross body movement , harder to conceal, even with the belt stays it flops around when you run, extra mags are often cross body aswell.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:07:50 pm »
    I tried one once... and nowadays only use a  similar holster for carrying my snake gun (Taurus Judge) in the desert.  Personally I think shoulder holsters work better for people who regularly wear jackets... or those named "Dirty Harry" Callahan.  :thumbup
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:36:33 pm »
    They are much slower to draw from. As others have said the cons tend to out weigh the pros. That said, they do have their places where they shine such as car carry, for those that spend much of their day behind the wheel.
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:40:07 pm by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 12:48:26 am »
    I do a lot of driving, so it would mainly be used for that. I do also wear jackets often.

The cons mentioned do make a lot of sense. They have belt tie downs but i dont think i would want to use those. Maybe ill hold off n the idea until someone i know gets one and i cant try it. I dont really want to drop 180$ on a holster if i dont think i will like it..

curtmini14

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:46:53 am »
    i use one all the time and find them very comfortable i use the galco with the gun one side and 2 mags on the other it stays and moves with you.i have tried every other system and like this the best for all around carry .it also does not matter weather i have a glock or a bhp.or full size 1911.the cheap ones are not good examples or any that hook to your pants.

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 03:07:41 am »
    i use one all the time and find them very comfortable i use the galco with the gun one side and 2 mags on the other it stays and moves with you.i have tried every other system and like this the best for all around carry .it also does not matter weather i have a glock or a bhp.or full size 1911.the cheap ones are not good examples or any that hook to your pants.

The one i am considering is the Galco Miami Classic. It looks fairly balanced with 2 loaded mags on one side and the gun on the other. I think it has belt loops but im pretty sure they are detachable so not a deal killer for me.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 05:42:03 am »
    I use one for hiking quite a bit.  I am a pretty thin guy and wearing something on my belt just seems to drag my pants down...and none of us want that.  As pointed out above it would not be good if you are going to be running as it does tend to flop and if anchored down on the belt it is not comfortable.  I have used some of the cheapo fabric ones and they are good to see if like you it before putting down money on a nice leather rig.  I have never tried the horizontal style only using the vertical.  Most of the firearms classes do not allow them as you can sweep others as you draw...at least that is what I have heard.  Adjustment is a big factor on how comfortable it is and that takes some trial and error.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 07:06:05 am »
    I have the Galco Miami Classic II. I only use it when I am out riding in the RZR. When I am riding, I only have 2 choices. Wear that holster or off body carry. I am covered with large straps and a 4 point harness. If I use a holster, there is no way I could get to it.

You are correct about the downsides. It flops around when trying to draw, and cross body draw sucks. I would still rather have this then nothing.

.:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 12:31:19 pm »
    They are best for hunting and riding. I ran one for a while before I got a new vest with a built in holster for my bike. When I am off the bike though, it goes in a pocket or an iwb. My lower back doesn't appreciate riding iwb
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

curtmini14

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 01:07:51 pm »
    The one i am considering is the Galco Miami Classic. It looks fairly balanced with 2 loaded mags on one side and the gun on the other. I think it has belt loops but im pretty sure they are detachable so not a deal killer for me.
           thats what i use the mags do keep it balanced well and i allways have a shirt or light coat over mine i never have a problem getting to my gun when needed.i think because i use mine all the time everyones issues are  moot to me and my pants stay up.good luck with your quest . :thumbup

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 06:34:50 pm »
    I have and had several shoulder holsters. A Bianchi X15 carried a 5" Colt 1911 under my sport coat when l worked in Edmonton. I had a Galco Jackass rig for a S&W 4" K frame with speedi strips and handcuffs on the other side. I still have a Gunskin which is a horizontal rig and its also for a 5" 1911. I have looked at buying another Jackass (Miami Classic) rig for a J frame but in this state, why. Shoulder holsters are not for everyone. I am a large guy with a barrel chest and the guns hides easily. You can not run with out being beat up unless you pinch the holster with your arm. The problem is the straps showing underneath your clothes and letting them show isn't cool. Sort of like women with a bad bra's on... If you spend a lot of time in a vehicle, or desk riding they are good. Drawing the gun takes  a lot of practice.  The moral is don't go cheap!

Starguco

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 07:02:57 am »
    Here are some pictures of my double rig holster that a friend of mine named Dave made. If you want a custom rig he can make them. I have his contact information. He is normal found in Sedona Uptown in the Cowboy Corral leather shop from Friday - Sunday 10-6 pm or at the leather store in the same mall after 6 pm till close.
    There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

Starguco

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 07:04:04 am »
    picture

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

Starguco

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 07:04:32 am »
    pic

Starguco

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 07:05:18 am »
    pic

Starguco

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 07:06:05 am »
    pic

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 04:52:01 pm »
    I used to wear a Miami Classic when I was plainclothes for vehicle surveillance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: April 23, 2016, 05:26:05 pm »
    Picked up a Leather shoulder holster for my G17 made by The Masters Holster. Never heard of them before but my local shop carries them and didnt have the galco in stock. It looks like it is every bit as good as the galco. Unfortunately i really dont care for it.. Its awkward and uncomfortable for me...

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 04:35:22 pm »
    I have one for a 3" heavy barreled round butt K frame S&W.  Made by Luke Adams from Adam's Holsters.  I like it - especially for driving.  It doesn't conceal particularly well unless I wear a jacket but it is in my carry rotation during the cold weather months.  As has been said, its not particularly fast compared to an OWB holster at 4:00 on your belt but I'm glad I have it as an option to that.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Mountain Man

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:26 am »
    Being Az I don't wear a jacket very often for concealed carry. That being said I do use one when carrying longer barrel handguns for hunting ect. such as Ruger Super Redhawk and T/C Contender.

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 01:12:57 am »
    Holsters are never one-size-fits-all. It really depends on your firearm, your planned activities, your personal preferences and the holster itself.

If you're doing a lot of driving, I would say it's probably the most comfy option for carrying on the body. You could also carry off the body. Get a sticky holster or something similar, and just tuck it between your seat and the center console for easy (in fact, easier) access. Only downside to that is if/when you need to get out of your vehicle. During long road trips, it's worth my overall comfort to carry off-body while driving, and then take the time to clip on a holster before I get out to gas up, take a break, etc.

There've been a few times I've worn a full leather suit while riding my motorcycle, i.e., no belt or waistline to attach a holster to. The shoulder rig came in handy then, as well, but if you also want to wear a backpack, make sure the straps don't accidentally unsnap anything. I almost lost a mag once or twice because of that.

I've also worn mine with a suit and tie for special events. I found it was easier and more concealable to find a good quality IWB holster in that case. In other cases, I've worn it with heavy, medium, and light jackets/hoodies that are just slightly too large and conceal just fine. This is usually ideal if I'm hiking or bicycling.

For a few months I've been carrying with a 5.11 "holster shirt". Different rig, but same positioning and concept. It worked for my concealability but was slow to draw (especially from underneath clothes), and with temps getting hotter, I did not see it getting any more comfortable. I ended up switching to a high quality appendix rig, and learning how to adjust my clothes to conceal it properly. My recommendation would be to find a way to try one out, if possible. Even if it's not with your own gun, but something similar in size/profile. Bring a couple shirts and jackets to see how well they work out with it. If you're going to be driving, test it while sitting in your vehicle, etc.

Also, if you do go with one, make sure you adjust the straps properly. I see a LOT of people wear them way too low... might as well just give them a belt holster at that point. :facepalm
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 03:27:32 am »
    Holsters are never one-size-fits-all. It really depends on your firearm, your planned activities, your personal preferences and the holster itself.

If you're doing a lot of driving, I would say it's probably the most comfy option for carrying on the body. You could also carry off the body. Get a sticky holster or something similar, and just tuck it between your seat and the center console for easy (in fact, easier) access. Only downside to that is if/when you need to get out of your vehicle. During long road trips, it's worth my overall comfort to carry off-body while driving, and then take the time to clip on a holster before I get out to gas up, take a break, etc.

There've been a few times I've worn a full leather suit while riding my motorcycle, i.e., no belt or waistline to attach a holster to. The shoulder rig came in handy then, as well, but if you also want to wear a backpack, make sure the straps don't accidentally unsnap anything. I almost lost a mag once or twice because of that.

I've also worn mine with a suit and tie for special events. I found it was easier and more concealable to find a good quality IWB holster in that case. In other cases, I've worn it with heavy, medium, and light jackets/hoodies that are just slightly too large and conceal just fine. This is usually ideal if I'm hiking or bicycling.

For a few months I've been carrying with a 5.11 "holster shirt". Different rig, but same positioning and concept. It worked for my concealability but was slow to draw (especially from underneath clothes), and with temps getting hotter, I did not see it getting any more comfortable. I ended up switching to a high quality appendix rig, and learning how to adjust my clothes to conceal it properly. My recommendation would be to find a way to try one out, if possible. Even if it's not with your own gun, but something similar in size/profile. Bring a couple shirts and jackets to see how well they work out with it. If you're going to be driving, test it while sitting in your vehicle, etc.

Also, if you do go with one, make sure you adjust the straps properly. I see a LOT of people wear them way too low... might as well just give them a belt holster at that point. :facepalm

Good points. When i first got it the gun and mags sat about 4" from my belt. WAY too low for my liking. I adjusted to a few inches under my arms but there is quite a bit of excess strap. I dont know if i should trim it or leave it. I have listed the holster in the marketplace but if it doesnt sell i may just keep it for when im riding my bike under my armored riding jacket or like you said, suit and tie kind of occasion where a hip holster is not possible.

Kronos

• Han shot first!
    « Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 08:58:56 pm »
    When i first got it the gun and mags sat about 4" from my belt. WAY too low for my liking. I adjusted to a few inches under my arms but there is quite a bit of excess strap. I dont know if i should trim it or leave it.

I had a ton of excess strap on mine. I fitted it several times, tried a couple different length combinations to see which worked for me, and then trimmed the straps once I was sure it's what I wanted. I think I left one or two extra holes in case I ever want or need to make adjustments.

Straps are usually a replaceable item sold separately by the manufacturers, too, so I never worried about cutting them.
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 09:36:55 pm »
    I had a ton of excess strap on mine. I fitted it several times, tried a couple different length combinations to see which worked for me, and then trimmed the straps once I was sure it's what I wanted. I think I left one or two extra holes in case I ever want or need to make adjustments.

Straps are usually a replaceable item sold separately by the manufacturers, too, so I never worried about cutting them.

Ill check with the manufacturer to make sure straps are available.  Its not horrible as is, just the doubled straps are twice as thick so less comfortable and a little less concealable.

I did notice you definitely want to have 2 fully loaded magazines to counterbalance the weight of the gun. In my case a Glock 17, otherwise the gun side will sag.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement