Username: Password:

Author Topic: So what's the deal with grip screws on new 1911's ?  (Read 3590 times)

Curmudgeon

So what's the deal with grip screws on new 1911's ?
« on: August 09, 2016, 09:31:51 pm »
THREE new model 1911 guns in the last 6 months.

Three different manufacturers.  Colt; Ruger; and Springfield Armory.

All three had some loose grip screws.  What? is that the last part they put on the gun, and Conchita has a problem tightening them properly?

Actually lost one on the Springfield, before I checked the others, and found them loose also.  Springfield sent me ONE.  Thanks guys.  hope that didn't break the bank  :-P

Took 'em all out, and gave 'em a dab of blue loctite, then tightened them properly.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    Re: So what's the deal with grip screws on new 1911's ?
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:06:12 pm »
    None of mine are loose...

One on the P220 worked itself loose.

:shrug
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 06:57:47 am »
    Given that I typically dislike the cheap stock grip panels that come on many new 1911's, my SOP is to immediately replace the grip panels when I get the pistol home.  For that reason, having loose grip screws isn't much of an issue for me.  That said I don't recall purchasing any pistols in the last few years that had loose grip screws from the get-go.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:59:27 am »
    Mine were loose ..but them again Remington doesnt reall have good quality assurance

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 10:58:18 am »
    1911 grip screws are very easy to overtorque. That's why bushings are employed, so a stripped screw hole ends up in a replaceable part and not in the frame itself.

IMHO, the Lok-Tite (Blue only) should be used on the bushings, and considerable caution should be used on the grip screws, to avoid stripping anything. Screws can be tightened periodically, and the grips are not a crucial part that must be retained at all costs.

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
    Having had problems with grip screws and bushings I found some very small, thin O-rings I would stretch over the threads to act as lock-washers. :coffee
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 02:24:13 pm »
    Having had problems with grip screws and bushings I found some very small, thin O-rings I would stretch over the threads to act as lock-washers. :coffee

If I recall correctly, VZ Grips gives out small, thin O-rings with some of their G10 grips.  I think I got some with their Beretta 92 grips.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 05:36:59 pm »
    If you go to your local big box hardware place and go to the plumbing section you can find #60 o rings and they just fit the shaft of your grip screws and hold them firm. You can also do what i do and use a drop of blue loctite and SNUG the screws dont wrench them down unless you want to deal with spinning stripped bushings.
    I dont know who conchita is or what part she might have in your build since i have never actually met anyone named conchita but maybe if your not smart enough she can help you apply the loctite you stupid racist fucktard.
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:45:21 pm by Alex »

N.M.Edmands

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 05:51:43 pm »
    please delete
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:56:53 pm by N.M.Edmands »
    Nat
    Politics is spherical; the only choice is which side of many to choose.
     But because politics is spherical there are only 2 sides--inside or outside.
     If I wish to maintain sanity I must choose outside.

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:55 pm »
    :-( :confusedDid I miss something ?

No just read the original post. I usually just let this stuff roll but i gotta say. Im kinda sick of the stupid shit after suffering a lifetime of it. I am really a very nice guy and have met a few people here personaly and think they can vouch for me but decided to call him on his assinine conchita statement.
    After that last economic cufufel i think alot of people with various backgrounds and from different races would be happy to have a job installing grips.
    « Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:59:59 pm by Alex »

Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 07:22:57 pm »
    Chill out.  It was not meant to be offensive. 

curtmini14

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 04:51:48 am »
    all that over grip screws  :facepalm

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 08:49:24 am »
    all that over grip screws  :facepalm
    Yea Your probably right. I blew up over something stupid. I guess it just hit a nerve. Im sick of the tenor of .... well of America lately. I have faced a lifetime of racism and am just tired of it in all its forms. I'm sick of black lives matter and blue lives matter and orange lives matter .. Im sick of Trump and the people he has drawn out of the woodwork .. I'm sick of Hillery (our next President) and knowing every word that comes from her lips is a freakin lie. Her face makes me ill. I cant believe there are people who think its ok for boys to use the girls room ... I'm sick of people ragging Christians, Im sick of white people complaining they are getting a  bum deal. I cant believe people are threatened by the AMERICAN flag in America. I'm sick of the new economy that seemingly left me out and took all my money with it. Im just generally sick of the state of affairs and I come here to talk something fun. Just guns and silly shit associated with guns. I think maybe I have been on the planet to long but at the moment my nerves are raw and I come here to have fun but maybe I should not play internet for a while. People are just losing their mind. Normal Polite behavior is a thing of the past it seems. I'm sick and tired of everyone just being sick and tired. I don't think I have ever seen a time where there was so little optimism and everyone was just mean. The Conchita thing just was a not called for.

No worries .. I will be quiet now.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 09:22:47 am »
    Hey, no need to absent yourself from this group.  We are a forgiving bunch.   :yes    You have to really screw up to get bonked with the "BAN HAMMER". 

Go listen to some music and then come back refreshed.   :thumbup

You aren't the only one who's noticed that things are going sideways: 

" A dying culture invariable exhibits personal rudeness.  Bad manners.  Lack of consideration for others in minor matters.  A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot."      Robert A. Heinlein
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:14:34 am »
    I have to agree with JarheadAZ. I have never seen a new 1911 have these issues. It almost always has something to do with taking the grips off and putting them back on without the proper tension.

Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 08:26:56 pm »
    They should change the name to gripe screws.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 08:43:16 pm »
    ^ :rotfl

Or screw gripes. :shrug Because those get old fast.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 08:49:51 pm »
    Those get older much faster.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 07:28:23 pm »
    Seeing what some of you guys said about 0-rings, I realized that the o-rings I use on my dart shafts would probably be PERFECT.

Too late now, because I already did the blue loc-tite deal,  But good to remember for future reference.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement