Username: Password:

Author Topic: Looking to get/build an MP5N, MP5K or clone  (Read 5099 times)

hikingwithguns

Looking to get/build an MP5N, MP5K or clone
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:58:31 am »
So I've always wanted to get an mp5 and I'm starting to look into both clones and the SP5K. It seems like it's going to be pretty expensive to go the sp5k route with all the things I would need to replace, barrel and paddle mag release for example. I have looked at zenith but I'm not sold on their quality yet or accuracy to the original. Anyone have suggestions? I would love it if PTR would make a clone but haven't heard anything about their efforts recently. Most likely looking at buying a pistol then going form 1, engraving etc.

Just looking for ideas.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:07:47 pm by hikingwithguns »
“Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.” Joe Biden

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    Re: Looking to get/build an MP5N, MP5K or clone
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:50 pm »
    Converting the CZ Scorpion is a popular option...

-T.

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »
    So I've always wanted to get an mp5 and I'm starting to look into both clones and the SP5K. It seems like it's going to be pretty expensive to go the sp5k route with all the things I would need to replace, barrel and paddle mag release for example. I have looked at zenith but I'm not sold on their quality yet or accuracy to the original. Anyone have suggestions? I would love it if PTR would make a clone but haven't heard anything about their efforts recently. Most likely looking at buying a pistol then going form 1, engraving etc.

Just looking for ideas.

I was in the same boat and decided to give up, I won't bring Turkish or Pakistani made firearms into my home (personal political ideologies and such) and the cost for them just seems hyper inflated. I too wish that PTR would make one but I doubt they will. If you are dedicated to the design: There is no cheap option, be careful with Zenith as they tend to mislabel their k guns "reverse stretch" when they really aren't, even HK's version needs those upgrades to make it "true" (three lug and paddle release) and unless you want the receiver markings for the full immersion I don't see the cost justified, Atlantic Firearms has Omega clones (haven't heard any reviews about them so that'll be research on your end).

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-pistols/omega-9mm-pistol-atlantic-exclusive-detail.html?Itemid=0

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 06:00:00 pm »
    Only advice I can offer is stay away from any older MP5 clones you may come across that are marked as Special Weapons, Coharie Arms or Bobcat Weapons.  Also, Top Notch and Black Market were companies that just sold parts.  Those guns, plus likely a few others that I'm unaware of, all had the infamous Todd Bailey associated with them and their quality is pretty spotty. Definitely a buyer beware situation. A quick google search will provide more bad news about Todd Bailey that you'd ever want to know.

I have never spent as much money trying to get a gun running right as I did with the Special Weapons MP5 clone I owned.  I poured a ton of money in it for parts and gunsmithing as well as a shitload of ammo burned up for testing.  I never could get that gun to run right and sold it for a big loss to a buyer who knew its ills but planned to have one of his HK auto-sears installed in it after having it rebuilt by a good HK smith. He eventually had to replace the receiver to get the gun right.

By around 2012 Todd Bailey's reign of terror ceased so newer MP5 clones should be much better although I have no direct experience them.  I do hear the  MKE clones are supposed to be better but I'd never do another HK clone again. For me a real deal HK is the only way to go as it'd be cheaper in the long run plus you have a gun with some real value.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

DuneShoot

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 06:25:50 pm »
    I've been reading up on these as well. The Zenith pistols seems to be made on HK presses bought from HK.
    Every review I've read on the MKE Zeniths have been positive. If I got one it'd be the P model with the 3 lug muzzle device installed.

Military Arms Channel on youtube has a couple good video's on them and one factory tour at MKE.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 06:37:24 pm »
    Had a Special Weapons MP5 clone on the rental range I worked at way back in the day - only firearm i ever saw with the ability to launch unfired ammo into the internals, missing the chamber entirely. We got rid of it ASAP, and never bought anything else like it.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:14 pm »
    I know a guy who put his Zenith on a form 1. He pretty much said what DuneShoot said. He did his home work on that brand and was sold on it. I just got to handle it. I never had a chance to fire it.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

hikingwithguns

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 10:50:32 pm »
    Yeah, I would like to take a look at the zenith models. Any places in the Phoenix or Tucson area keep them in stock? Seems most places it's special order only. I'm not willing to buy one without making sure I know what I'm getting, make sure it has 3 lug etc.

I'm leaning towards the Z5-RS at the moment. I prefer the full size if I have the choice.

Thx for the info everyone.
    « Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:13:04 pm by hikingwithguns »
    “Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.” Joe Biden

DuneShoot

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 05:47:19 am »
    Tombstone Tactical had a Zenith in stock last week.

hikingwithguns

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 12:22:43 pm »
    Yeah, they seem to be out of the RS though. Good find though.

hikingwithguns

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 07:08:21 pm »
    Finally picked up the full size. Still much to do, hurry up and wait.

EBR Works

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 07:34:07 pm »
    Nice looking pistol! If that's a Zenith, they are great guns. We have a Z-5P that we turned into a post sample. It's well built, runs flawlessly and is very accurate.
    EBR Works
    FFL07/02SOT

hikingwithguns

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:53:02 am »
    Yeah it is the Z5 full size.

I'll be hitting the range this weekend and put various ammo through it, from 115gr to 147 and even some HST 124 gr. I'll see how it does and report back.

EBR Works

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »
    So, how did it shoot?
    EBR Works
    FFL07/02SOT

hikingwithguns

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2017, 08:41:20 pm »
    I honestly have not shot it yet, too much family/friends stuff on the weekends. Will update once I shoot it.
    « Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 09:40:35 pm by hikingwithguns »

hikingwithguns

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 09:15:02 pm »
    Ok, I shot a few rounds recently. No malfunctions whatsoever, so that was good. I was using irons at 50 yards, accuracy was about a sapi plate, so I had some fun with steel.

I'm going to run a red dot on it next time to see if I can tighten up my groups and reach out to 100 yards. Tried the eotech but it was too big so I'm running a vortex sparc for now.

It definitely has that roller-delayed feel that I enjoy :)
    « Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:21:22 pm by hikingwithguns »

EBR Works

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 10:22:16 pm »
    We put a Sig Romeo 4M on ours and it's a good match for the gun.
    EBR Works
    FFL07/02SOT

hikingwithguns

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 08:46:49 pm »
    Nice, I do like the circle and dot reticle on that one, though I'm a fan of the Trijicon mro too. Hrmm.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 09:36:40 pm by hikingwithguns »

hikingwithguns

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 05:49:48 am »
    We put a Sig Romeo 4M on ours and it's a good match for the gun.

Do you know if the 4m is compatible with the B&t low profile mount? It looks like it should be...

EBR Works

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 10:24:36 am »
    Sorry, I don't know. We used the mount that came with our Zenith Z5P, which is not very low profile.

EBR Works
    FFL07/02SOT

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
    Looking to get/build an MP5N, MP5K or clone
    « Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
    Kiloguns located in N Phx just put a bunch together. https://www.kiloguns.com

Look on there Facebook page for more pictures

hikingwithguns

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 09:00:39 pm »
    Sorry, I don't know. We used the mount that came with our Zenith Z5P, which is not very low profile.

Interesting. I wanted to keep it low profile so I put my old sparc II on it with the low profile mount. It barely co-witnesses. The aimpoint t2 and h2 co-witness better but I didn't want to buy one since I have the sparc already.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement