Username: Password:

Author Topic: Got me a new shooter...  (Read 4105 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
Got me a new shooter...
« on: December 10, 2012, 02:50:16 pm »
...and it ain't a gun.   :P

Picked this up last night.  A Canon EOS Rebel T4i w/ two lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm). 

Still kind of learning how to use it effectively, but look for the quality of the pics I post to improve in the future.

Taken with the new camera...

:thumbup

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    Re: Got me a new shooter...
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:17 pm »
    You can't go wrong w Randy Couture!
    I know where my towel is.

Comanchero

• Master of Disaster
    • Burning gas and slinging brass!
    « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:09:04 pm »
    Just like mine  ;D
    You'll love it once you get it figured out!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."

Samuel Adams.

tknoll

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:43 pm »
    I have a Rebel xt, and an xti, both for me are like have an a formula one car to go to the end ot a 30 foot driveway, I will never see the potential it offers :).  I have a Tamron 28-300 lense for each and love it though.
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns!!!"

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 06:37:11 pm »
    I really need to break down and get a better camera.  My digital camera is simply ancient and takes horrible pictures.  Its just that I always seem to allocate money for gun, car and truck stuff instead!
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:35:23 pm »
    Really nice camera you got there. Slightly better than my Canon S100.  :yes :rotfl
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

john

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:56:40 am »
    Wow, that's amazing! I'm still trying to figure out how you took a picture of the camera like that.....   :-\

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:57:39 am »
    I'm really fast.

-T.

SurpShot

• Proud Defender of History's Patriots
    « Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »
    Very Nice.  :thumbup
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 03:03:18 pm »
    For all canon cameras, even the 3000 dollar ones, buy a 50mm fixed lense. They can be had for $95 new. You will learn to actually use your camera because unlike the other lenses you have there it doesn't have a focus the f is very good and it has very few lenses which gives it insane quality!
    Compare it to learning to shoot a 22  with a 4-16x50 mildot vs iron sights. Believe me. It's the way to go. Also get uv filters or all lenses you don't want scratches in the lense glass! As always, habe fun shooting lol :) 8)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »
    For all canon cameras, even the 3000 dollar ones, buy a 50mm fixed lense. They can be had for $95 new. You will learn to actually use your camera because unlike the other lenses you have there it doesn't have a focus the f is very good and it has very few lenses which gives it insane quality!
    Compare it to learning to shoot a 22  with a 4-16x50 mildot vs iron sights. Believe me. It's the way to go. Also get uv filters or all lenses you don't want scratches in the lense glass! As always, habe fun shooting lol :) 8)

Yeah... that's what I keep hearing.  So I do plan to buy a 50mm.  Probably this one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12140-USA/Canon_2515A003_50mm_f_1_4_USM_Autofocus.html

-T.

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 03:32:03 pm »
    https://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-Standard-AutoFocus-Lens/dp/B00005K47X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355869697&sr=8-3&keywords=50mm+canon

I went for this one for four reasons,

1) it was a lot cheaper
    2) it has fewer lenses
    3) constantly gets one of the highest ratings of all canon lenses for its miraculous glass quality and the effect thereof
    4) lighter

its your choice but i would rather save the 200 and apply them to a nice lense after you learn most the basics.

It is still one of the most used lenses in my box and my favorite by far. Nothing shoots like this one.

so pretty much get the cheaper iron sights that work more efficiently and once you are ready for the big glass apply your savings there ;)

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 02:53:50 am »
    Any news on the camera? How's it working out so far?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
    So far so good.  I took the recent Merry Christmas picture with it.

I also did a 10-minute timed exposure pointed at Orion...

I just need some more practice and opportunity.  I'll be taking a bunch of pictures at the shoot on the 19th.  Might even get to shoot some guns.  ;)

-T.

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »
    Great shot! Do you have a remote exposure device? How we looking kn the 50mm?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »
    I have an IR remote for the camera.  I also did get the 50mm lens that I mentioned in post #10.  I'm learning that that f/1.4 opens up huge possibilities.

My mother was a professional photographer for many years, and I did the photography thing in high school (won an award for one pic too!).  So while I am a newb, I do have a jump start on the basics.   :thumbup

-T.

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 09:11:59 pm »
    Good stuff! If you are going to invest in a software to edit pictures contact me first, I can give you the names and how I use them in my editing process. I do wedding photography senior pics etc..

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 09:19:39 pm »
    I already own and am well-versed in Adobe's Creative Suite products.  I've been using Photoshop and Illustrator for more than a decade (I designed the graphic content of this site after all  ;)).

I need a bit more practice with the video side of things.  Premier, After Effects, etc.  But I can hold my own so far.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement