Username: Password:

Author Topic: Am I the only one here that hasn't heard of the "Red Scorpion?"  (Read 286 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Sr. Contributor
    • QRZ - N5MKH
No not the crappy 80's Dolph Lundgren movie.

Two days ago I was in the garage moving boxes around and unpacking.  When I picked up one of the boxes, a good solid 35 pounder, a scorpion dropped off the bottom of it and ran down my leg.  Aside from the fact that I just combined 12 years of cardio and strength training and squeezed it into about 15 seconds of dancing around the garage and making noises like a turrets patient on Red Bull, there was no harm done.

He was about an inch to an inch and a half long.  Very slender.  and BRIGHT RED like a steamed lobster.  I had never seen a bright red scorpion before and thought nothing of it because hey, it ain't a bark scorpion so why worry.  Right?

So just out of shiggles I looked it up on the internet.

Turns out it's a Buthus Tamulus - The Indian Red Scorpion.  Looks to be non-native.
https://www.pestnet.com/scorpion/red-scorpion/

The deadly venom from the red scorpion is said to have anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties, and is currently being researched as a possible tool in curing or aiding in the combat against cancer. However, you probably don’t want to take the venom directly from the source yourself, as it will almost certainly result in death. Red scorpions exist commonly in the Americas, but are rarely ever seen. California, Arizona, Texas and other dry states are more likely to see or come into contact with them.

Da hell?  How is it that I made it to 47 and no one told me these ever existed?

Did any one else know they were a thing?  Have you seen one?
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

DClayton

Re: Am I the only one here that hasn't heard of the "Red Scorpion?"
    « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:03 am »
    Jeez, seems like you were lucky not to get a hold of it when picking up that box! I assume you burned the garage down out of an abundance of caution too?

I’ve never seen a scorpion in person and don’t mind it that way.

patkelly4370

We have a plethora of bark scorpions around our property. They keep the cricket population in check.
    Never been stung or pinched, though I'm willing to bet our has had her nose pinched. Scorpions & tarantulas seem to be the only critters she ignores.
    Yet to see a red scorpion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

grayland

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 08:16:34 am »

Tucson/Oro Valley area:

We have found 12 scorpions in the house.various places in the last couple of months despite careful spraying. 
    Most of them seem to show the effect of the poison as they are alive but not active.
      Not active at all after hitting the toilet bowl. ;-)

NRA Member...AZCDL Member..CCW..2A Supporter for over 60 years...

RJ

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 08:19:55 am »
    i live in central north phx, and we have a gaggle of them, and have to say, i do enjoy their choice of food, i have a lot of cactus wren who live on the lot, and they eat insects along with the scorpians, they do chow down on the ants, crickets, and other bugs. i hate bugs,
    old gal got stung in spring on her hand, she was in a lotta pain for a few days, first day was  ugly, but diminished a little more on second day, first time shes been stung, i've gotten it a few times, not pretty and hurts like the dickens,
    i'm down sizing prepping for retirement, so a lot of stuff on back half acre is gonna go away, and along with that will be habitat of the dinosaur, times they are a changing, watch out for the darkies, (black ones, was trying not to offend :whistle) they are somewhat larger and not as aggressive but will give you a jolt.
    glad you came away unscathed, hate to thing what the thread would read or say. :rotfl

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:42:03 am »
    I've still seen more scorpions in one summer working a farm / summer camp in Texas as a child than I have in a decade of living in Arizona.  Snakes too.  Out here Scorps and snakes are a three or four times a year occurrence and I'm usually looking for them because the wife saw it first.  Rattlers and bark scorpions specifically, maybe 1 every other year if I'm lucky.

I've not minded scorpions much in the past.  Like I said, my childhood was filled with them so I know to respect them and how to avoid them or find them if need be.  But this fire engine red scorpion was a first for me. Knowing that there is a lethal muther in the garage that's no longer than a match, I nuked it pretty good with Cy-Kick.
    https://pestcontrolsupplies.com/https:/product/cy-kick-cs/
    https://www.amazon.com/Cy-Kick-Control-Insecticide-Scorpions-Centipedes/dp/B004FBOTFM
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

qkarl

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 09:56:08 am »
    Wow I've never heard of red scorpions either. It's pretty unsettling to hear that they're lethal. Glad you're okay!

Dullahan

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 11:30:51 am »
    That Cy-Kick poison is extremely effective. I'll treat the perimeter of the house twice a year and we don't have many scorpions that make it inside. Maybe 2-3 a year and that tends to be my reminder that I haven't sprayed yet. Highly recommend it. It does kill every insect that touches it, so if you've got any beneficial ones you're trying to keep around, be aware.

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 12:33:21 pm »
    If you are a cat person, or can tolerate them, they are very effective scorpion killers.  Ours just considered them mobile cat toys, but after playing with them, all we found were piles of scorpion parts.  The cats aren't immune to the poison, but between their fur, thick skin and faster reflexes, then don't get stung.

Starguco

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 03:00:53 pm »

I just combined 12 years of cardio and strength training and squeezed it into about 15 seconds of dancing around the garage and making noises like a turrets patient on Red Bull, there was no harm done.

:rotfl
    There is no such thing as Overkill. Die Lehrer Klaus Horstkamp.

"We must reject the idea every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each indiviual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement