Username: Password:

Author Topic: If SHTF  (Read 17087 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
Re: If SHTF
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 06:10:06 pm »
Anyone know how to build a distillery? You could be VERY popular...
...hehehe... I might know a thing or two...
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #26 on: July 31, 2016, 01:26:28 pm »
    Gonna need protection - or your AZ Bathtub Gin Inc will be overrun and looted the first night. :whistle :'( :shocked

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #27 on: July 31, 2016, 04:50:01 pm »
    It should go without saying that anyone who's been a member here more than a couple days has some protection figured out.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 06:41:06 pm »
    SSHHHHH!!!  . . .   :saywhat  . . .  You're not supposed to mention stuff like that!   Next thing you know you'll have a video of the secret handshake.   :facepalm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JK357

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 06:55:20 pm »
     :rotfl

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #30 on: July 31, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
    Great Scott man, you were supposed to erase that video tape! :shocked

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 08:36:46 pm »
    And toilet paper, buy it cheap, stack it deep...or learn to love news print... :shocked

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
    • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
    « Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »
    I would have to look back in history and see what size population this area supported prior to the Industrial Revolution. What did they eat and how did they raise it? What changes in our area would preclude/encourage what type of life in a Post Industrial Age society? That is, of course, the Walking Dead/Jeremiah/(insert favorite end of the world movie/TV show here), and means that everything went bye bye and ain't coming back.
    Why would that be important? Because the game won't be there for you to kill, not for many years. The locusts will spread out after eating everything in the cities/towns/raided individual homes, the ones that survive. Back to Darwin - the ones who do survive are bigger, meaner and more ruthless than  the ones they killed. Maybe not QUITE the Lord Humongous...maybe.  Once the outside food sources are gone and raided to non existence, food must be grown/raised/hunted locally, and then it becomes a race for survival on who can produce and defend what they produce, who swears to what person to create the next feudal society. The game will be wiped out, some gone forever, in a very short amount of time. Might have to learn what coyote tastes like - take a lot of Tony Cachert's Creole Seasoning. That stuff will cover up the worst tasting junk. There will be many desperate hunters, not a few sport hunters afield, wearing blaze orange and sharing hunting tips. Many hunters will be untrained idiots who have no idea what they are doing or what to do with the animal after they kill it, if they accidentally figure how to do that. Even pigeons might come in short supply.
    Of course, that is the ultimate OMG situation, the famed zombie apocalypse of fantasy and sci fi. In that case I will die. Too old and fat to run, only place to castle up is poorly situated and has no permanent supply of water, to close to a locust highway, so my gear, what's left of it after I take as many with me as I can, (insert picture of fat old man puffing up chest trying to look like Mel Gibson from Road Warrior), will be split up among the locusts.
    SNIP...
    Feel free to tear my logic apart.  :coffee

Great post. :thumbup

I think you've definitely hit the nail on the head when you mentioned looking to the past for solutions. If our society collapsed tomorrow, it wouldn't be the first, second, third, or even 5th one to do so. We're not that special. :-P

Perhaps the climate, geography, and cultures have changed, but ultimately we will be very much living the same struggle for survival once SOMETHING interrupts the fragile, petroleum-based society we have.

brandyspaw, glad to hear you've made such good progress on your goals since starting this thread. :-)

I'm still working on having enough spare funds to put towards a long-range platform. :-\
    “Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #33 on: August 04, 2016, 07:19:01 am »
    idk maybe is just me but in SHTF, I'm not concerned about wiping my ass.

food water or ammo can take up that space
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #34 on: August 04, 2016, 09:20:09 am »
    You are in for one hell of a rude awakening, if you don't think TP is as important as food or ammo.  There is a certain level of personal comfort that is necessary to being "in the game," and that particular area of the anatomy can be a painful distraction.  So yeah, lots of TP.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

AIM9X

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2016, 10:36:51 am »
    I think you've definitely hit the nail on the head when you mentioned looking to the past for solutions. If our society collapsed tomorrow, it wouldn't be the first, second, third, or even 5th one to do so. We're not that special. :-P

As I've said in the past, the Arizona low desert can actually be a pretty survivable place, as long as you have water.  The Hohokam irrigation canals in Phoenix supported an estimated 80,000 people, with as many as 50,000 living along the Gila in the Coolidge/Florence areas, in 1300 AD.  The high country, once the game is hunted out, is more marginal - less water, poorer soils, and a very short growing season.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #36 on: August 04, 2016, 11:10:21 am »
    I think more practical arms for SHTF to use for hunting would be a good Air Rifle and a good Bow. They're quiet so you won't give away your position or the fact that you've found game to eat and you can stock up on a boat load of pellets for cheap and you can reuse arrows so ammo would be less of a factor as would having 270 Win or 30-06 on hand. 
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #37 on: August 04, 2016, 11:45:11 am »

You are in for one hell of a rude awakening, if you don't think TP is as important as food or ammo.  [...]
    Soooo. Costco trip? :rotfl
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #38 on: August 04, 2016, 09:12:34 pm »
    Nah.  You're thinking too small.  We should arrange a group buy - maybe a whole semi-trailer full.  Once we settle the details about texture and septic system compatibility we're good to go - in a manner of speaking.   ;-D
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #39 on: August 04, 2016, 09:25:53 pm »
    :rotfl

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #40 on: August 04, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
    Nah.  You're thinking too small.  We should arrange a group buy - maybe a whole semi-trailer full.  Once we settle the details about texture and septic system compatibility we're good to go - in a manner of speaking.   ;-D
    Outstanding! You're on a *roll*, or should I say pallets of rolls...
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #41 on: August 04, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »
     :thumbup .  .  .  :-P
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #42 on: August 05, 2016, 02:47:38 pm »
    Egads....just don't buy the stuff we use at work. We call it John Wayne, "rough and tough and won't take S**T from anyone"...

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #43 on: August 05, 2016, 02:53:29 pm »
    I remember 1000 years ago when i did basic training that the one thing that would be.guaranteed to be stolen if left out of eyesight for a second was ....... Toilet paper!

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #44 on: August 05, 2016, 02:54:19 pm »
     :hmm I just figured out what do do with the phonebooks that keep appearing in my driveway instead of dropping them straight into the recyclables bin.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #45 on: August 05, 2016, 07:59:33 pm »
    Field expedient measures.  Never mind the newsprint ink - it washes off.    ;-D
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #46 on: August 06, 2016, 12:34:41 am »
    Field expedient measures.  Never mind the newsprint ink - it washes off.    ;-D
    Hell - when things got really desperate back at ye old deer camp out house back in MI, it would not be uncommon to cut the tops of off my tube socks & return home with a whole bunch of newly tailored "ankle" socks...

When those ran out the T shirts become custom tank tops. Nearest store was 15 miles down dirty snowy frozen roads ... that will make you get creative quickly ;)

Desperate times = desperate measures...
    « Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 12:39:12 am by FreeInAZ »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #47 on: August 06, 2016, 12:12:31 pm »
    I was recently in Poland, apparently they have a LOT of leftover toilet paper from the Soviet era, made from what appears to be burlap....

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #48 on: August 06, 2016, 01:13:56 pm »
    The Hohokam irrigation canals in Phoenix supported an estimated 80,000 people, with as many as 50,000 living along the Gila in the Coolidge/Florence areas, in 1300 AD
    What are the current population levels of those areas now? No snark, seriously curious. How many "irrigation canals" are now supplied by easily cut off CAP water? Bloody wars could be fought over control of the Colorado River and water leaving there would likely be cut off at the source. This is, of course, in the full HOLY COW THE METEOR REALLY DID WIN THE ELECTION event.
    Imagine a "purge" if you will, of a population to drop to a survivable number based on location and available resources, especially renewable resources. I believe the saying on the Internet today is "fight like you're the third monkey on Noahs' Ark, and it's starting to rain." The cities would orgy in blood and death, then go quiet and still, populated only by the ghosts and ghouls.

Now back to that toilet paper buy - Safeway had a great sale for the bargain stuff for $2.99 for 24 rolls. Bought some. :) It's not soft as silk, but it's a lot better than Soviet burlap! Now wonder they were pissed all the time - bleeding anuses will do that to you.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #49 on: August 06, 2016, 02:21:28 pm »
     :wtf

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement