Username: Password:

Author Topic: H&R Pardner Pump Shotgun  (Read 4589 times)

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
H&R Pardner Pump Shotgun
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:44:49 pm »
Anyone have one or shoot one much?  Are they something decent to recommend to someone on a severe budget?

I've got an old friend who's trying to get something real cheap for a home defense shotgun.  I had recommended he shop around to find a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. He claims he can't find any reasonable ones in his locale but wants to buy an H&R Pardner pump from his local Walmart that are priced right at $200.

I don't know too much about them. I do know they're a Chinese copy of the Remy M870 even down to the parts (other than the barrels) interchanging.  In handling them, they seem very heavy.  I just have never shot one and don't know much more about them.   
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    Re: H&R Pardner Pump Shotgun
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:26:25 pm »
    The RIA M5 is also a cheap shotgun....can be bought for around 189 for a black and 219 for nickel

Glock

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »
    Like Lucky said.. or I got from Walmart and attractive stevens 320 ..it was same thing 200 at Walmart
    ~~NRA PISTOL INSTRUCTOR~~

NavajoWarrior

• NavajoWarrior's Youtube Channel
    « Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 02:12:02 pm »
    its a good gun, rez approved. Used it a lot for hunting coyotes. Dropped it countless times in the dirt, still shoots.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 10:36:27 am »
    its a good gun, rez approved. Used it a lot for hunting coyotes. Dropped it countless times in the dirt, still shoots.

I had a Norinco hawk 98 with ghost ring sights years ago. I frigging loved love that shotgun. Those pardner pumps are the same thing. Most of the parts are compatible with 870 stuff. I like em.  :thumbup
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

gamestalker

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:38:37 am »
     I've had and still keep a few of those on hand as training SG's for grand kids, my own before they grew up, and for those who have little to no experience with SG's. I've always considered them as a disposable SG though. After having the first one or two repaired when a firing pin broke, or the fore end stock retainer let go, and other break downs that border on expense out weighs replacement from an economic stand point. I decided it was just better to replace them and save the old one's for parts.

GS

gamestalker

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:41:02 am »
    Oops, I was thinking the OP was referring to the single shot H&R style SG's before I hit the post button.

GS

Fenderbassist

• Old School
    • GNU Linux, Music. Comedy, Movies, Books, Radio
      • Funny 1260 AM Comedy Radio!
    « Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 06:43:43 pm »
    Had one some  years ago, it was decent but I found that I liked a Mossberg better.  Not putting down the Pardner / Hawk 982, RIA/Armscor or any of the other options out there.  Was simply discovering my preference.
    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind. - William Shakespeare

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. - Douglas Adams

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 07:14:09 pm »
    If you shop around, you can actually find original H&R pump guns as well as High Standards and some of the contract guns made for retailers like Sears and Montgomery Ward's back in the day.  A lot of those old guns sat in a closet except for a few forays afield in search of quail once or twice a year and are still in fine shape.  The metallurgy and workmanship tend to be better than the foreign made knock-offs that are taking advantage of the expired patents.  The Savage/Stevens, Mossberg, High Standard, H&R & Winchester guns still have fairly decent parts availability as well.   Wandering around looking through used gun racks is a rewarding pastime even if you don't buy anything that day.  ;-)
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

1911_username

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 07:29:30 pm »
    Their just a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Rem 870. Their great for a spare paddle if you loose one duck hunting!

For HD purpose? Heck if it goes Bang Bang Bang...why not if price is a factor.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:25 pm »
    I've heard some folks have done metallurgy testing on these knock off vs the 870 express models. Shocking to find that the steel in the commie guns was actually better. Any way, here's a review from a reputable YouTube source (IMHO).

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »
    As to the Chinese guns vs the RIA... I will say my RIA is a good gun. That said the +2 speed feed stock it came with had a bad spring coil. I called their Tech support in NV, and got the run around for weeks. I finally clipped the bad end coil (bent sideways from factory) out and fixed the issue myself. Apparently the folks in their SG division also are the janitorial staff?  The M5 also has little to no upgrades available. I did order a pistol grip for it from RIA  which costs $25 + shipping and doesn't even come with the screw or washer .... needed. WTF?

RIA for 1911's I guess. For SG's not so much... IMHO if after market parts or support are important to you. Just my experience.

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement