Username: Password:

Author Topic: CatM4 Bolt cleaner  (Read 8909 times)

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
CatM4 Bolt cleaner
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:57:58 am »
Does anyone have one of these? Saw it on Hickok45 awhile ago and thought I would pick one up as my bolt is dirty as hell and I am tired of the time I am putting into cleaning it up.

www.catm4.com
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:30:00 am by LuckyLeaky »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

lesptr

Re: CatM4 Bolt cleaner
    « Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:45:13 am »
    I've had one for couple of years. It's probably the best money I've spent on cleaning essentials. It really does make short work of cleaning the bcg. In fact I like it so much that I've given 4 CatM4's as Christmas gifts.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 08:53:28 am »
    I didn't particularly care for em but ya know ive spent money on specific tools tht made the job just ever slightly easy before and it wont be the last. grab it if you have the cash, tools always pay for themselves
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:16:28 am »
    I bought an Otis "BONE" bolt cleaner.  I just got it and haven't used it as of yet. It seems to be a nicely made  compact tool.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »
    Magna- Matic Defence. com/ also make's one . Check it out ;-)
    Tony / Mighty Arms

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:12:02 pm »
    Magna- Matic Defence. com/ also make's one . Check it out ;-)

Looked at it and find the moving part being a major dislike. If it moves it can lose tension and not do the job it is intended to do.

I bought an Otis "BONE" bolt cleaner.  I just got it and haven't used it as of yet. It seems to be a nicely made  compact tool.

I like the Otis....I like how it can be used as a T-handle as well...multi purpose...going to look into it some more
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:16:27 pm by LuckyLeaky »

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:14:19 pm »
    Planning on buying this and testing it out cleaning the ar after it shoots tula....

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »
    I've not heard of these.  Interesting.

Thus far I've just used the scraper on my Leatherman MUT for bolt cleaning.  No complaints.

-T.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:37:17 pm »
    I've not heard of these.  Interesting.

Thus far I've just used the scraper on my Leatherman MUT for bolt cleaning.  No complaints.

-T.

Probably works better than my wife's cuticle remover.... :woot

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 02:09:21 pm »
    OK, I just took the time to use the Otis BONE tool today so I thought I'd report back. 

I had both a Windham heavy barrel Varmint rifle that I sighted last Saturday and my LMT Defender I shot yesterday to clean.  My other AR's hadn't been shot since cleaning and I was going to wait until more of my AR's needed cleaned before trying out the new tool.  However, I thought cleaning these rifles now would provide some of you get a little feedback since this thread is in progress.  The Windham Weaponry rifle only had about a hundred or so rounds of brass cased ammo through it.  The LMT, on the other hand, was super filthy having shot several hundred rounds of both Russian steel case and premium brass case ammo through it.

The Bone tool proved very handy for cleaning the carbon on both the bolts.  Much quicker (and a better) job of it than scrapping with a non ferrous tool like the scrapper on the MUT. It also cleaned up the firing pin very quickly.

Neither bolt carriers, however, seemed to have much carbon build up in them so it wasn't a great test of the BONE on them.  Maybe the tool didn't really scrap much out by design but it looked like the carbon inside the bolt carriers was pretty minimal on both guns.

Over all, I would recommend this tool to those wanting to save some time cleaning AR's.  I had approached buying this tool with a bit of trepitadtion since sometimes things like this are more gimmicks than useful.  But since I really hate cleaning guns and I have so many AR's to clean I thought it might be worth a try. 

Bottom line---If you want a way to save time cleaning your AR bolt carrier groups this tool is worth it at around $20.  Is it necessary?  No, but then most things gun related are based upon want rather than need.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:24:40 pm »
    OK, I just took the time to use the Otis BONE tool today so I thought I'd report back. 

I had both a Windham heavy barrel Varmint rifle that I sighted last Saturday and my LMT Defender I shot yesterday to clean.  My other AR's hadn't been shot since cleaning and I was going to wait until more of my AR's needed cleaned before trying out the new tool.  However, I thought cleaning these rifles now would provide some of you get a little feedback since this thread is in progress.  The Windham Weaponry rifle only had about a hundred or so rounds of brass cased ammo through it.  The LMT, on the other hand, was super filthy having shot several hundred rounds of both Russian steel case and premium brass case ammo through it.

The Bone tool proved very handy for cleaning the carbon on both the bolts.  Much quicker (and a better) job of it than scrapping with a non ferrous tool like the scrapper on the MUT. It also cleaned up the firing pin very quickly.

Neither bolt carriers, however, seemed to have much carbon build up in them so it wasn't a great test of the BONE on them.  Maybe the tool didn't really scrap much out by design but it looked like the carbon inside the bolt carriers was pretty minimal on both guns.

Over all, I would recommend this tool to those wanting to save some time cleaning AR's.  I had approached buying this tool with a bit of trepitadtion since sometimes things like this are more gimmicks than useful.  But since I really hate cleaning guns and I have so many AR's to clean I thought it might be worth a try. 

Bottom line---If you want a way to save time cleaning your AR bolt carrier groups this tool is worth it at around $20.  Is it necessary?  No, but then most things gun related are based upon want rather than need.

Awesome! Thanks for taking your time to review  the Otis cleaner. I think it will be the way I go now. Thanks again

Misfire51

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 02:32:35 pm »
    After looking at all these cleaner's, It appear's that the BONE is the only one that would remain stationary and not cock to the side and possibly gouge the bolt in any fashion. Amazon has them for 20+ change, I ordered one so will see how it goe's. JMHO.  ;-)
    Tony / Mighty Arms

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:40:19 pm »
    After looking at all these cleaner's, It appear's that the BONE is the only one that would remain stationary and not cock to the side and possibly gouge the bolt in any fashion. Amazon has them for 20+ change, I ordered one so will see how it goe's. JMHO.  ;-)

Just looked it up and sent the link a friend that works at one of the Amazon warehouses here in AZ...chances are that it is not at a local one as all the OTIS things I have ordered has come from one of the Nevada warehouses....

Kind of interested what he has to say about what it looks like because he cleans the shit out of his Ar's.....white glove material there...

-Edit-

Denied...None at his warehouse. Shot in the dark....missed completely...drats....Ordered it anyhow.
    « Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:47:56 pm by LuckyLeaky »

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 06:10:04 pm »
    I may have to get one of these. Normally though, I toss my disassembled BCG in the ultrasonic for 30 min in straight "Awesome", then wipe em down. no fuss at all. quick rinse/dry and a bit of lube and they're happy again until the next shooting session.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:44:01 pm »
    And I know we all know better but for some new guys please don't dig into the metal and gouge it. Let the tool work, it may take longer but if you start damaging parts it becomes a real issue. I just think back to the marine corps days and how many rifles they destroy cuz lack of knowledge
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Wyatt Earp

• Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: September 27, 2013, 09:27:38 pm »
    Sorry, I'm old school and just use a toothbrush and elbow grease.  Sucks but it's what I know.  Just like I don't the Eotech sights on my rifle either.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

Wyatt Earp

theultimatehic

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 11:17:12 pm »
    Sorry, I'm old school and just use a toothbrush and elbow grease.  Sucks but it's what I know.  Just like I don't the Eotech sights on my rifle either.
    That's how i roll to. Call me cheap call me old school.... I like my way though and i have more time then money anyways.
    I may not like what you say, but I'll defend your right to say it!

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 05:58:03 pm »
    I finally got to use the bolt cleaner....

I went with the KZ CRT Carbon Removal Tool and it works extremely well....

Only dislike I have found was the tool didn't do a real good job cleaning the Bolt carrier...or maybe I just need more practice with it ....

Only took about 3 minutes to clean the bolt though....

I would recommend it...

For 20 bucks its the cheapest one I have found...

AK47RND

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 10:14:54 pm »
    I finally got to use the bolt cleaner....

I went with the KZ CRT Carbon Removal Tool and it works extremely well....

Only dislike I have found was the tool didn't do a real good job cleaning the Bolt carrier...or maybe I just need more practice with it ....

Only took about 3 minutes to clean the bolt though....

I would recommend it...

For 20 bucks its the cheapest one I have found...

We have a few firearms you can practice on.   :-P
    "You Can't Move Forward, Until You Know Where You Are"

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 03:23:28 am »
    Pfft...im not even supposed to cleaning this one...Not my rifle  :-P

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement