Username: Password:

Author Topic: Uneven grind on Cold Steel blades  (Read 3567 times)

BanxJ502

• Contributor
Uneven grind on Cold Steel blades
« on: December 20, 2014, 05:39:02 pm »
I have several Cold steel knives, the voyager XL, the AK47, the kubun and the tuff lite. On every single one of them, the blades dont have a symmetrical grind. I know this because i use a fixed angle sharpening system with different angles, one side of the knife will be 25 degrees, the other will be 35.

Does cold steel use a kind of chisel grind or something or is their QC just lacking a bit?
I have other knives, Microtech, Spyderco, boker etc and they are all pretty symmetrical.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

freeman1685

• Contributor
    Re: Uneven grind on Cold Steel blades
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:00:38 pm »
    The final grind is done by hand actually.  On a belt sander.  A guy stands there all day doing one blade after another, day after day. 

Cold Steel is actually one of the better companies.  I've seen some blades that weren't even close to those angles.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 08:40:49 pm »
    I have a Cold Steel 58TPCH Code-4 Folding Knife Clip Point 3-1/2" that Lynn Thompson gave me along with all of his DVD videos. Nice blade but almost too large for the pocket.

Jon

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 10:52:01 pm »
    Its actually a fairly common problem with mass produced knives.   Quality control is sort of a mixed bag when your retail pricing is in the ballpark of Cold Steel's.  The only decent QC I've seen at that price point comes from Victorinox and Opinel and they don't do tactical.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Football

• Contributor
    • "Your Brighter then dead Lightbulb"-My Father.....
    Uneven grind on Cold Steel blades
    « Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:07:09 am »
    I have an old Cold Steel Tanto fixed blade that got me through a few bad situations when I still lived in The Bronx. I dated a gal several years ago who lived in a high security CO-Op Building, but it was in a lousy area, and a 4 block walk to public transportation. One lost the Sight in his eye ( as far as I know) from my swinging keychain, and the other got sliced with the Tanto from his Shoulder to his Elbow. They Ran. I hailed a cab to the local Police pct. surprisingly, because I had had the edge shortened to 3" I was allowed to keep it( that and a ph.Call to a certain Police Captain at NY's one Police Plaza who then called the Watch commander at the 34th Pct. To enquire about his Cousin who had foiled a robbery attempt......
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:12:18 am by Dr. Football »

BanxJ502

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 12:21:26 am »
    I figured it was fairly common. Didnt know they did the final grind by hand, but it makes sense. I love cold steel knives, the steel is very good for the price. Just a pain to sharpen when you have to keep switching angles. I guess you could re profile the edge but thats a lot of work.

freeman1685

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 01:58:55 am »
    I figured it was fairly common. Didnt know they did the final grind by hand, but it makes sense. I love cold steel knives, the steel is very good for the price. Just a pain to sharpen when you have to keep switching angles. I guess you could re profile the edge but thats a lot of work.

I do it all the time, on a coarse stone.  Yeah, it's a lot of work, it's time consuming.  But there's a certain amount of satisfaction to attaining a sweet edge.
    Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education or by legislation.  Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid.  But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.  RAH

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement