Username: Password:

Author Topic: Arizona shooting locations map  (Read 73415 times)

anm2_man

• Contributor
Re: Arizona shooting locations map
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 04:54:14 pm »
As being a member here & at AZshooting, I'm glad you didn't post the map link over there.  I'm the Storage_man there.  Posting the shooting map there will invite so many people that don't give a shit !   But after watching so many good shooting sites being destroyed  (Primarily Table Mesa - No body new about it 10 yrs ago - Today its trash), I commend you on your effort to document good desert shooting spots and manage it.   But in my mind they should be limited to responsible shooters (And I know its impossible to determine the word Responsible). 

I would like to submit a New site rarely used and the last time I was there it wasn't trashed.  PM me with what you need for Coord's for the map.

A old guy that's been here too long.

People need to be given the opportunity.  And then promptly bitch slapped when they violate that trust.

I can tell you that any location that goes on the map and begins to be regularly trashed will soon come off the map.

In the same vein, should we find that map locations are routine targets of dumping due to them being listed here, we would implement restricted access.

Don't ruin it for everyone folks.   ;)

-T.
"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 06:02:31 pm »
    PM sent.

-T.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 06:11:12 pm »
    I think the map should have controlled access and require authentication first (logged in). Potentially even a post-count requirement so that you avoid straw accounts just to get access to the locations. I've seen so much trash.
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:04 pm »
    I'll put this to the cabal and see what the group think is.  We wanted it to be a public service, but I do see the issue.

-T.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »
    A point was made during our admin discussion on this...

The locations are on public lands and most are well known to local shooters in their respective areas. I think the sort of people likely to find their way to the map at all are likely to be reasonably responsible folks. The jackasses who trash places are just going to drive around until they find a place to trash.

I think that's a solid point.  So for now, we'll give people the benefit of the doubt and leave it open.

Note however... we are not opposed to removing locations from the map, or even the entire map.  If it's discovered that people at large cannot handle the responsibility of knowledge, we can shut it down as fast as we brought it up.

-T.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 08:05:35 pm »
    As with the giveaway, anything involving a post count wouldn't be escape our scrutiny.

We're going to keep it public for now.  I understand if someone does not want to reveal their shooting location.  For our part though, we're of the opinion that most anyone that would put in the effort to find a place where they can legally shoot already has a streak of responsibility in them.

-T.

AzCharlie

• AZCDL Life Member
    « Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:29 pm »
    Mixed feelings about the post count. I joined back in the spring, and have only managed 21 Posts. I check and read the site several times a day, but rarely log in, and have been busy with a gun rights organization for years just trying to keep my right to own a firearm, intact. I guess I could manage a how do you do type post, daily, and run up the count, but....
    However, when I first saw the map, I said the usual - probably not a good idea. After reading the various replies, and going back and forth,  I realized
    one fact.
    Like myself, most people who have lived around the valley for years, have been pushed further and further out into the desert. As places we shoot at become trashed, and closed, we drive some more and settle in. The folks will follow. A 600yd spot I shoot at requires 4- wheeling, and is, as of now,
    unblemished. I know it want remain that way forever. People found my previous locations without the use of any map.

Education is part of every forum, and the disclaimers, notices, and warnings at the top of the map are part of that process. I would make them jump out more. BLM, and the N.F. will eventually close more and more areas if we do not educate.
    I champion your attempt at providing a service to the shooting public, but I can understand the restrictive view. I came close to giving up a spot yesterday for display, but....

Black Wolf CCW

• Facebook: Blackwolf Defense
      • Black Wolf Defense
    « Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »
    My shooting location is seen by 1000 people a year (minimul). So I don't care if it os posted.  :facepalm

I never look at post count, I just go out and post and have fun/learn.  :thumbsup

John
    Black Wolf Defense Firearms Training
    www.azccwclasses.com
    www.blackwolfccw.com
    (623) 694-0377
    Email: info@azccwclasses.com

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #33 on: September 18, 2012, 07:52:20 am »
    I can't really see the people who are likely to trash the desert or forest searching online for a place to shoot and dump their garbage. It doesn't fit the profile.

I really want to see a broader community of safe and responsible public land shooters in AZ and I think keeping the map available to everyone furthers that by making it easy to find the places to go and reminding people about their role as stewards for the land and ambassadors for the community.

B-rad773

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 09:41:54 pm »
    Fantastic job Guys!!! Thanks a bunch!!
    "It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."
    - Christian Slater

VVshooter

• Lurker
    « Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 06:47:55 pm »
    Check out this video about a new indoor range in Camp Verde, AZ. The owners are great people and very knowledgable about firearms.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #36 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:46 am »
    Nice looking facility.   :thumbup    I'll have to stop in next time I'm up that way.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #37 on: January 07, 2013, 12:34:30 pm »
    Check out this video about a new indoor range in Camp Verde, AZ. The owners are great people and very knowledgable about firearms.

Added!   :thumbup

-T.

Dabbott

• dabbottphoto.com
    « Reply #38 on: February 13, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »
    Excellent idea! I'd like to see more up here in Flagstaff. Anyone know a good spot in the woods you'd be willing to share?

I've been brought by a friend out to the pit off the I-40 Winona exit, but that place is trashed to hell and a LOT of unsafe shooters seem to hang out there more often than not. I guess it would be a goldmine for brass, if someone's interested.

I know I'm new here, so I'll add that I try my best to L.N.T. and pack out all targets and as much brass as I can.  Try to keep the forest looking like, you know...the forest?
    "I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." -Clint Eastwood

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 08:00:05 pm »
    i like the maricopa place we go shoot at -  but is there one closer to Tempe mesa are that you don't have to pay for?
    thx

Wolf

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 08:55:50 pm »
    i like the maricopa place we go shoot at -  but is there one closer to Tempe mesa are that you don't have to pay for?
    thx

Wolf

I understand your sentiment but recognize that Tempe is in the middle of everything.   :sarcasm
    I know where my towel is.

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
    Haha I understand but is there a place closer that's outdoors and not north east cause I don't like that area

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 10:37:19 pm »
    Not really.  You're pretty much relegated to indoor shooting anywhere nice or close to the city.

-T.

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 12:06:18 am »
    Ughh well anyone want to go shooting this week in Maricopa lol? I'll post my days off. T you got some time this week? I want to learn some reloading ;)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #44 on: March 05, 2013, 03:05:06 pm »
    UPDATE

We've made some chances to the shooting map that allow us to better display areas that are in question of have been closed.  The icons used to mark the area will be an indicator of the area's status (to the best of our knowledge).

= Shooting allowed, to the best of our knowledge
    = Area has an unknown status.  Most often this is private land.
    = Shooting is prohibited in this area.  This is usually, but not always, for closures.

Check it out...  https://arizonagunowners.com/shootingmap.php

As always, please clean up after yourself and use the land responsibly.  We want to see more of the first icon and less of the last.

-T.

MesaGlocker

• Young Gun
    « Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:12 pm »
    Nice update! Thanks!  :thumbup

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 05:55:28 pm »
    That's a very useful update. Removes ambiguity.  :yes
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 08:11:17 pm »
    Agreed, good update on the icons. I like the idea of having known shooting areas posted, even if they are not legal. That might educate some people on where it is not OK to shoot.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Wolfoholic

• Contributor
    « Reply #48 on: March 05, 2013, 11:51:06 pm »
    Isn't it just fine as long as you are not on private /Indian land. 400yd away from buildings and 150yd or something from campsites etc and you cannot shoot across rivers or roads.? Am I missing something?

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #49 on: March 06, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
    Can't shoot within city limits.  Can't shoot on State Trust Land.  Can't shoot across a road, trail, or wash.  Can't shoot with 500 yards of an occupied structure.

State and local lands are typically closed to shooting.  Federal land like BLM land and National Forests are pretty much all that's left.  And even some of those are closed.

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement