Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where to go for milsurps?  (Read 7483 times)

grossekatz

Where to go for milsurps?
« on: June 02, 2016, 10:12:36 am »
Are there any shops around the valley that have a good selection of old military rifles? All the ones I've been to carry mostly plastic stuff.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

6.5 Gunner

Re: Where to go for milsurps?
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:13:06 pm »
    I would be interested in that info too as a C&R collector. I know AZ firearms in Tempe has a few but I'm not a fan (overpriced on C&R guns and not allowed to CC in the store) and AJI in Apache Junction does but nowadays it's pretty slim pickings, mostly but not exclusively parts guns and sporters, because any C&R in good condition goes straight to gunbroker and never sees the rack. I've been lucky and found a few jewels from time to time though. If you have your C&R license I would just mail it to all the usual suspects and subscribe to a mailing list and pounce when a deal pops up.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:56:13 pm »
    Yeah, AJI or if you want to get out of the valley I think J&G up in Prescott has some stuff (or at least, they used to).
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:00:38 pm »
    Most of my milsurp stuff was bought at J&G.

-T.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »
    The only other place in town where I've seen more than one Milsurp on the shelf has been Arizona Firearms and Pawn in Tempe.  That said they don't typically have a large selection of Milsurps.

The last time I went looking over there I saw a 1903A3 and a later s/n 1903.  Price on the 1903A3 was pretty damn good until I looked closely at the rifle.  As it turns out, the 1903A3 had been SERIOUSLY BUBBA'd...  :facepalm
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 01:04:15 pm »
    Big 5 tends to have a few mosins, Turk mausers, and Swiss straight pulls in stock, they have sales on em pretty regularly.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 01:24:09 pm »
    Big 5 tends to have a few mosins, Turk mausers, and Swiss straight pulls in stock, they have sales on em pretty regularly.

^^ Indeed.  And the managers are sometimes willing to cut on the spot deals if you buy some other stuff (depending on a few variables which they may or may not have control over).  I've gotten just such deals a few times.

-T.

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:54:33 pm »

Which one(s)? They one by me here in Gilbert on Val Vista had nada the last few times I checked. Just some .22s, modern bolt guns, and some shotguns.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 03:53:20 pm »
    I forgot about Big5.. I bought my mosin from the one in Tucson in 1998 or 1999. They got a bunch in and had a sale, got to pick one out of the pile. I haven't really looked closely at one in awhile though.
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 05:05:51 pm »
    Pawn shops have good deals if you don't mind slumming it. :shrug I'd call around.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

grossekatz

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:34 pm »
    Thanks for the imput, I'll skulk around the pawnshops. 

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 11:11:19 pm »
    I'll second the mention of AJI out in the far east valley.  They have had a few dozen rifles of various types every time I've been there and usually ammo to feed them as well .   Are you looking for anything in particular?  Let us know in case anybody runs across one. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 06:07:09 pm »
    Which one(s)? They one by me here in Gilbert on Val Vista had nada the last few times I checked. Just some .22s, modern bolt guns, and some shotguns.
    Try Gilbert and Southern. I've bought a few M44s from the one on McClintock and Southern as well
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 07:05:23 pm »
    Try Gilbert and Southern. I've bought a few M44s from the one on McClintock and Southern as well

When was this? I think I checked there sometime last year around this time frame and it was almost the same as val vista. If I remember correctly they had some 91/30 rifles but at gouge prices so I passed.

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 08:01:40 pm »
    Have you got a C&R license? Kind of a hassle, but it's great for ordering milsurps from the big importers and suppliers. Gets a discount with places like Midway and Brownell's too.

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 08:11:15 pm »
    Me? Yea I have a C&R but nothing beats walking in and getting to handle it and bringing it home the same day.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 09:22:19 pm »
     J&G Prescott..get away from the heat

grossekatz

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 11:34:34 pm »
    So in my search for old rusty rifles I reached out to a dealer I know from Ca. He and his wife moved to Globe and have been setting up a shop there.  Currently they are only open only by appointment but their shop is pretty impressive!
    It's about 17k Sq ft of militaria, surplus and antiques. Racks and racks of bayonets, rifle stocks and field gear. As well as  hundreds of uniforms from all over the world. I didn't have time to check out all the firearms but I did see a hakim, mas 49/56,  type 99's, mausers and a bunch of neat old antiques.  It's totally worth the trip out there. Just give them a call and see if they have what your looking for.

http://fflgundealers.net/military-historical-arms-antiques.html

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: June 06, 2016, 08:34:21 am »
    I know a guy in Mesa with a bunch of Yugo Mausers...

StealthyMcStealth

• Bang
    « Reply #19 on: February 06, 2017, 08:59:17 pm »
    I know this is an old topic but I have to reinforce, Bear Arms in Scottsdale is probably your best choice in the valley (left/rear corner normally for what you are looking for) but you also need to check out AJI in Apache Junction. To me AJI is kind of like the super market, I plan regular trips there just because it's part of life.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: May 06, 2018, 03:12:52 pm »
    Not a lot of selection s in the valley, as noted, pawn shops are hit and miss, and occassionaly a local shop will trade into something. AJI i've picked up some decent deals. By far, by using the c&r and just plain old ffls, i've purchased from afar., copes , classic firearms, and centerfire. you can get on their mailing list and see what comes up. and join a couple sites that cater to the old stuff, the old guys are dropping like flies and their spawn sometimes does not want to own the old guy or gals collection.

Used to be quite a few  shops and decent gun shows back in the day, but alas they have gone by the wayside.
    the internet kills all of it.
    Rj

Dullahan

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2018, 05:22:34 pm »
    When was this? I think I checked there sometime last year around this time frame and it was almost the same as val vista. If I remember correctly they had some 91/30 rifles but at gouge prices so I passed.

I am also curious when you last saw one there. I used to see them all the time at that location, but nothing in a long while.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 08:45:22 am »
    Well, the post you are referencing is about 2 years old and referred to something seen the previous year so draw your own conclusions.    :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 01:22:17 pm »
    Or fire up the DeLorean and punch it, until you get to 88 mph, Marty! ;)

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 02:15:31 pm »
    I've driven by this 15k times.  Its in my hood.  I stopped in there once, a old guy owns it.   He had a ton of cowboy pistols and a bunch of rifles on a rack in the back.  The reason I stopped there I was looking for some Vickers parts (You never know what you can find in a old store).  He used to own a bunch of class III weapons.  I really don't know what the business name is (Its says GUNS in his sign), but here is a photo.  The address is 13439 N Cave Creek Rd, Phoenix.  Maybe worth it or maybe not.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement