Username: Password:

Author Topic: cameras  (Read 4596 times)

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
cameras
« on: June 04, 2016, 08:38:27 pm »
my wife just wants a camera with dvr or cloud system you can monitor from her iPhone for the house. any experience? i see a bunch of options but unclear whats decent thx
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
GLOCK Armorer

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    Re: cameras
    « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »
    I currently use IP cameras from Amcrest and Dahua at my house.  Previously I used Foscam cameras.  I have the cameras connected to an Amcrest NVR.  I can monitor my house using an app on my Android phone, my Android tablet, my work iPhone and iPad, or from a web browser on a connected PC.  My system also sends me notifications when someone walks onto my property or knocks on my door.  It took a bit of tinkering to get it set up exactly the way I wanted it... but at less than $100 per camera I'm quite happy with the result.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:24:53 pm »
    Yup - AMCrest or Foscam seem to be the best.
    You can go the Amazon route or have her call Scott Gorman at Scottsdale Geeks.

http://www.scottsdalegeeks.com/

His website is a little hokey but Dave is a solid guy.  Very smart.  He will cost more than doing it yourself, but if you need that level of education (because this is your security after all), then the price is actually pretty cheap.

Avoid MeShare and ZModo at all cost.  That's what I got originally and I'm changing it out to AmCrest / Foscam.  They aren't proprietary, where ZModo is.  I got some pretty cool video of the meteor at 3:56:36 the other morning and I'd love to share it but I can't because it is in their special ZModo format.  I hate that.

Getting cameras at Fry's electronics is another good avenue, but be wary of bad information there.  They are a good local option if you already know what you need but want to handle the merch before buying.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:51:58 pm »
    One advantage that I found to the Amcrest cameras over Foscam (Foscam supposedly helped Amcrest with their cameras) is that the ONVIF protocol seems to work more fluidly with the Amcrest cameras and NVR.  When I connect Amcrest ONVIF cameras to the Amcrest NVR they come right up and allow me to configure them via the NVR.  With the Foscam ONVIF cameras, on the other hand, they don't provide nearly as much flexibility through the UI on the Amcrest NVR.

Oh and the Amcrest IP cameras have internal Wifi antennas whereas the Foscam IP cameras have external dipole antennas...

RSM

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:20 pm »
    I checked online and the AMCrest systems had some good reviews. I've been thinking about getting a system but didn't know what was good and what to watch out for. Thanks for the info!
    « Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:19:58 pm by RSM »

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 11:22:16 pm »
    Basically like this:

1. Download the app on your phone or computer
    2. Plug in the camera
    3. The app will give you a bar code or QR code to put in front o the camera.
    4. That code tells the camera the network pass code and lets your WiFi see the camera and gives it an IP address.  Now you are streaming live video.
    5. You can get a cloud account and route your video off site for security or the app usually lets you store it on a drive.

It really is easy, but they are like tattoos.  Once you get one...........
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

RSM

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 11:29:16 pm »
    No tattoos. Now if you had said it was like getting new firearms I'd know what you mean lol.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 02:49:54 am »
    I have Dahua PoE IP cameras and a Synology NAS.  I looked at dedicated DVR solutions and they all suck horribly.

Synology's NAS products all come with security cam software (among other packages, like a VPN solution, which is helpful for remote viewing) that blow away what the typical Chinese consumer security DVRs do.  Even has a phone app.

-T.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 04:17:49 am »
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #9 on: June 05, 2016, 07:08:23 am »
    https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-IP2M-841-1920TVL-Security-Camera/dp/B0145OQTPG#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1465125348688

Would a few of those be decent?

And then does anyone use amcrest cloud ?

No on the cloud for me.  Mine all rolls to my hard drive.  I have an extra PC that I'm planning on installing as just the security cam PC when I add more cams.  Video takes up a lot of data.

As far as the cam you selected, its a good one.  If you want to save a little, the 720 resolution is good too.  1080 is great for getting little details like license plates if the camera is at the right angle and height - so that is a YMMV thing.

Here is something to consider.  I'm starting off with stationary cameras.  My friends that have the remote controlled ones love them because when someone is at the front door and they hear/see the cam moving, it always gets the attention of the person at the door.  Friendlies wave and buggers bug out.  But they all tell me that they have inevitably missed something in the neighborhood because they camera was looking away, down, or otherwise pointed in the wrong direction.  Stationary cams get everything all the time.

Remote controlled cameras are great if you want to save a little and have one camera do the work of three, but since they can easily be added later, I thought I'd go with one stationary on the drive way, one stationary on the front door, one stationary on the back patio that covers the slider and the pool.  If I get a fourth one it will be a remote cam that captures the natural area open space next to my house.

My only two obstacles are:
    1. HOA has rules about your cameras capturing your neighbors houses.  I've checked with my neighbors and they actually WANT my cameras to get their house.  Intention is to put them in, pass inspection, and adjust later.  But the remote controlled camera is a bit of a sticky wicket because it can be left pointing and zoomed in on your neighbors front door.  To the HOA is a little gimpy there.
    2. I need to add an outlet or two so I can mount these cameras where I really need them, not just where the electricity is convenient.

Start with one.  Play with locations to see what you like and what works for you.  I found that some places I thought I wanted a camera were actually bad locations because of sun / trees/ columns/ etc.  But with a 6' extension cord like you would use for a lamp, you can move the camera around until you have the exact right spot.  Also, if you are putting it on a covered patio, you can get away with the indoor models.  If you put it under an eve or towards the edge of the patio, you need an outdoor cam.

As far as night vision goes - the cameras will pick up IR images way out, but the little LED's around the camera only go about 10 yards.  You can get light bulbs in that wavelength and mount that fixture a little further out to extend your night vision range.  And if you have something white (like the back of my security alarm sign) it really reflects back and makes the camera adjust down so I plan to paint the back of my sign black in the near future to reduce reflected IR light.

lckjose

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 07:13:40 am »
    Check this out, I have been using this for about a 2 years now and it works great. And better yet i didn't spend any $,  just used a couple old phones i had.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 07:22:30 am »
    https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-IP2M-841-1920TVL-Security-Camera/dp/B0145OQTPG#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1465125348688

Would a few of those be decent?

And then does anyone use amcrest cloud ?

Be advised that those are their indoor cameras.  If you want to use them outdoors then you'd technically need to install them into a weatherproof enclosure.  They may well work outdoors for a period of time but one good rainstorm might be enough to fry their electronics.  Amcrest sells the following camera rated for outdoor use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WXCY3Q/ref=s9_al_bw_g421_i4

I have several indoors PTZ cameras that I use to monitor my 12 year old chocolate lab when I'm at work.  Outside my house, however, I have fixed outdoor rated bullet cameras like the one I linked to above.

I've never used Amcrest's cloud solution but, for a short time, tried Foscam's cloud solution.  It was OK but I ended up cancelling it because I didn't like how their pricing tiers were set up.  I've currently got 16 cameras running and I wanted them to archive video footage for a little while.  When I shut down the Foscam cloud solution, I replaced it with a couple of 8-camera Amcrest NVR's.  Each cost me around $150 plus the cost of a PC hard drive.  The one thing I really like about these cloud services is that the video is archived off-site.  If your house gets broken into you now have your video footage securely archived somewhere other than where the bad guy can find it and take it with him to help cover his tracks.

In terms of power outlets there is a way to power certain of these devices that does not require electrical outlets near each camera.  You can have a company come out and install network cables to each camera.  Using certain of their NVR's or certain model network switches you can provide power to the camera using a protocol called POE (Power over Ethernet).
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:33:48 am by Martimus »

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 07:27:43 am »
    Some really good info here on something I've been considering...maybe it's time to give it a shot.
    "Does your dog bite"?   Grrrrrr
    "He is not my dog"!

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 09:15:18 am »
    and my wifi doesn't like wires everywhere so I'm hoping the wifi ones work decent
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 10:00:14 am »
    and my wifi doesn't like wires everywhere so I'm hoping the wifi ones work decent

If you only have a few wifi cameras they should work fine over your wifi network.  If you end up with a lot of cameras they'll bog down your wireless network and slow down wireless performance for every wireless device at your home.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #15 on: June 05, 2016, 11:49:14 am »
    I wouldn't go the WiFi route.  Connectivity will suck and you'll have streaming gaps.  And it's easy to defeat the system if you're a competent bad guy.  Just interfere with the signal and you can black out the camera.

Also don't forget that you'll need power where ever the camera is.  It's far easier to pull a patch cable and run it PoE than it is to place power there. 

-T.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #16 on: June 05, 2016, 03:25:24 pm »
    I'm in a two story with no access to the crawl space between floors.  How hard is that to run Cat-5 through?  I'd go Power over Ethernet if I could but did wifi because if installation simplicity.  But since I'm looking to add cameras, this might be a good time to change things up.

AIM9X

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2016, 03:58:09 pm »
    I have 8 LaView HD PoE IP cameras on my house networked to a DVR.  I've been pretty happy with the system, although I haven't had time to really tweak and customize yet.  I had the perimeter of the house wired with Ethernet runs from a central closet when I had some work done on the house, so it was easy for me to set up.

Ed. - the base system I bought was similar to this.  https://www.amazon.com/LaView-Camera-Security-Channel-Surveillance/dp/B00KXB496M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465167538&sr=8-1&keywords=laview+security+camera+system

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »
    I'm in a two story with no access to the crawl space between floors.  How hard is that to run Cat-5 through?  I'd go Power over Ethernet if I could but did wifi because if installation simplicity.  But since I'm looking to add cameras, this might be a good time to change things up.

Not too hard with an adequate cable fish and some patience.  I wouldn't do it in the summer though.

-T.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 07:37:04 pm »
    ok so basic question then. my wife called amcrest and it was all automated so we left info.

whats needed to power these things up? i saw some are battery powered. I'm not tech savvy at all.

power cord and an ethernet cord into the wall?

or do these plug into something else?

NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

DuneShoot

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2016, 08:44:31 pm »
    A few people have mentioned Power Over Ethernet-One cable, an ethernet cable, carries power and data to/from each camera:
    http://veracityglobal.com/resources/articles-and-white-papers/poe-explained-part-1.aspx

One cable to each camera.

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 08:51:11 pm »
    PoE means Power over Ethernet.  A PoE device will only require one cable run; the ethernet cable.  Power and data run over that single cable.  You use a PoE ethernet switch at the other end to power the device and route data. 

Otherwise you need to run dedicated power to the install location or regularly change batteries.

-T.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 08:58:15 pm »
    ha ok duh. all these fancy terms. thx guys
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 09:22:39 pm »
    As you live in a single story home, running patch cables to outdoor locations would be crazy easy.

If you're in Phoenix at some point when you get home hit me up.  You can come by and see mine and how really simple all this is.  I installed mine in an afternoon.

And I can't stress enough how much better the Synology solution is over a consumer security DVR. 

https://www.synology.com/en-us/surveillance/7.2

-T.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 09:47:09 pm »
    I guess I really don't understand the difference between synology and the Costco ones.

Which one is that amcrest
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement