Username: Password:

Author Topic: Parts Case for Barrels & Springs Etc.  (Read 3446 times)

CaptBuddy

• Lurker
Parts Case for Barrels & Springs Etc.
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:19:44 pm »
Does anyone have a line on a good case to store my pistol barrels, springs etc.? It's hit or miss
at local stores & I'd like a decent case to store my parts, barrels & springs when I'm going
to the range.

Thanks!
"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
~Jeff Cooper

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    Re: Parts Case for Barrels & Springs Etc.
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 08:29:19 pm »
    You might try The Container Store.

-T.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:45:49 am »
    Depends on how fancy you want to be about it and how big it needs to be. You can get a Pelican or knockoff and cut out the foam. You can also get the foam and add it to just about any case you want (ammo cans for example).
    .:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:29:16 am »
    I get these really nice heavy duty plastic trays with snap on lids... I just have to eat the Moo Goo Gai Pan that comes in it first!  ;-D

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 08:56:52 am »
    Try a Harbor freight. Lots of cheap plastic boxes. 

CaptBuddy

• Lurker
    « Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 11:04:53 am »
    Thank you! I hadn't thought of getting fancy w/foam or my fav store Harbor Freight or the Container Store.
    I usually go with Plano boxes but can never find the arrangement I'm looking to stuff things into.
     :thumbup
    "Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician."
    ~Jeff Cooper

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:28:15 pm »
    I keep small parts ( pins, springs, screws,bushings, etc.) in small plastic bottles, segregated by the type of gun. I custom made a few small cardboard boxes from larger acceptable donor boxes and masking tape and these are for the larger parts like barrels, recoil springs, guide rods, grips, etc.  These smaller containers then go into a surplus .50 caliber ammo box marked either "1911 parts",   "S&W Revolver parts" or whatever else I may need.  I use the custom made boxes because its almost impossible to find exactly what you need to optimize the space inside the ammo boxes.   OK - I'm OCD  .  .  .   :facepalm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 12:56:54 pm »
    I keep small parts ( pins, springs, screws,bushings, etc.) in small plastic bottles, segregated by the type of gun. I custom made a few small cardboard boxes from larger acceptable donor boxes and masking tape and these are for the larger parts like barrels, recoil springs, guide rods, grips, etc.  These smaller containers then go into a surplus .50 caliber ammo box marked either "1911 parts",   "S&W Revolver parts" or whatever else I may need.  I use the custom made boxes because its almost impossible to find exactly what you need to optimize the space inside the ammo boxes.   OK - I'm OCD  .  .  .   :facepalm

Not really OCD.. They sell these fishing/tackle trays with adjustable sections. I have a few of these, one dedicated to AR parts for example, and it makes up a nice spare parts kit with everything from spare detents and springs to mil spec trigger parts (after upgrading triggers). I have other ones with pistol parts and whatnot too. I don't normally tote them around though, they stay on the shelf most of the time unless I need something because it went flying across the room =)

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 01:44:36 pm »
    I dropped a tackle box once.  It rolled a few yards.  Took me an hour and a half to get everything sorted out and replaced in said box.  :facepalm   That is when I started working on the system I use now.   I dropped the ammo box once - off the tailgate of the truck.  Set it back on the tailgate - popped the lid for a quick check - everything looked just like it did before the tumble, no problemo.    :woot
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »
    I'm reminded of these...

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammocanorganizer.php

Lots of online retailers have them.

Or these...

http://catalog.dewittplastics.com/viewitems/plastic-boxes/ammo-box-organizer-inserts-2

I've never used either of them personally, but they seem like a slick ideas.

Lots of DIY ideas too if you do a Google Image Search

-T.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 02:07:09 pm »
    Ohh yeah those are nice!

The tackle box things I am talking about look like the ones in picture #2. The latches are pretty strong for what they are, dropping it will not cause it to come open unless you don't close it tight =)

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »
    Yeah, the closed ones are a good idea - the lid seems to keep things from migrating.  The ones without lids though - the spaces between them let small stuff get scattered around in the event the whole box goes upside down.  The ability to customize them is the key to making them work well. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 02:36:52 pm »
    I use one similar to this from Home Depot for AR/AK parts,  The dividers come out so buffer tubes and springs fit.

Around $29

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-22-in-Cantilever-Plastic-Organizer-with-Metal-Latches-189746/202021301

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement