Username: Password:

Author Topic: Favorite Milsurp Rifle - and why?  (Read 38522 times)

Spartan301

Re: Favorite Milsurp Rifle - and why?
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2021, 09:55:24 am »
For shooting...the M1 Garand is the champ.  It has history...performance...the sheer enjoyment of shooting one.  It's maybe the most magnificent rifle ever designed and built.

For collecting...the 1903 Springfield.  There are more variations than most are aware of and just looks right.

I agree with your statement.  :thumbup

I'm possibly going to reduce my Mauser collection for another M1903!
U.S. Army/Sgt./67N (Aviation/1st CAV DIV, FT. HOOD/2nd INF DIV, S. KOREA/NTC FLT DET, FT. IRWIN)
Veteran '81-'86
NRA Lifetime Member, AZCDL Member,
USCCA Member,
Front Sight FTI First Family "Ambassador" Member

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #176 on: September 28, 2021, 11:12:43 am »
    YIPPERS,  Garand, M1 carbine, 1911 a1, grease gun, thompson, BAR, and ever loving Ma Deuce.

rj

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #177 on: September 28, 2021, 12:16:43 pm »
    For shooting...the M1 Garand is the champ.  It has history...performance...the sheer enjoyment of shooting one.  It's maybe the most magnificent rifle ever designed and built.

For collecting...the 1903 Springfield.  There are more variations than most are aware of and just looks right.
    No argument from me.  Anyone who shoots the M1 Garand enough to understand it and still doesn't like it just doesn't like shooting IMO.

The '03's and the ;later '03-A3's are beautiful rifles and most shoot better than they look at this point.  To me they carry a little better than the Garand and if your eyes are still good you can do some pretty fine shooting with the stock sights. 

Hard to argue with the brainchild of Paul Mauser as the grand daddy of them all though. The basic design is still as sound as the day the first one was made even if modern engineering and technological advancements have made the bolt action battle rifle obsolete.  Even the old 7mm Mauser cartridge is plenty capable - as is the entire first generation of cartridges for those rifles from the 6.5 Swedish to 7.5 Argentine to the 8mm Mauser. 

None out-perform our own .30-06 Springfield IMO but the combination of that cartridge in a clone of the Mauser rifle became the most popular target and sporting rifles for an entire generation of shooters. They just work.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #178 on: September 28, 2021, 05:07:44 pm »
    For me, the Garand is a small part of my own military experience (Marine Corps Infantry course 1966 -ITR- was where they took away our M-14's from boot, and put us on the Garands) and much larger part of my post-service competitive and recreational shooting experience. To me it is a rifle, and a bit more. It is an old friend of my youth, and my periodic time passing, maintaining the eight our VFW Post employs for ceremonial activities. That responsibility is one I jealously indulge. I have a nearly complete set of armorer's tolls (the only thing I can't do is swap  barrels - but there's no point since they are restricted to shooting blanks).

I refinished the metal and the wood. They each have jet black metal, and very subtly varying shades of lightly tan, nearly a pecan, color wood. IMHO, they're not to far off from being a desert camo color, and the wood grain contrasts quite sharply. They are a work of beauty. The day I'm gone, they will be my legacy to my Post.

I have one of my own, a luck of the draw DCM Springfield Armory version, five digit serial numbered 5XXXX, and very gently and lovingly restored to museum-like condition. The metal looks brand new, but that must be an arsenal refinish in the greenish Parkerizing, because it has a Winchester barrel, dated 1953.

I shot it in NRA National Match League events every month for eight years at 200/300yd distances at Cherry Ridge Range in NJ, and at 600yd at Fort Dix range 15 as part of the 44th Infantry Div Re-enactors' Association. Mine has a nearly infinite number of hand rubbed coats of linseed oil, one massive ding left in the wood for character, and my very first glass bedding attempt. It shoots exceptionally well for a rifle which has never had the accurizing steps done to the metal, and the ammo is my own handloads, constructed directly to M-2 Ball spec. Two years back, I went on a spree, and loaded up 1000rd of it in 8-round GI Enbloc Clips. It's what she likes.

Not available for Love, Blood, or Money; she's in my will...

Greg
    « Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:15:06 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement