Username: Password:

Author Topic: Little quail hunting trip  (Read 2748 times)

Slips73

Little quail hunting trip
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:19:48 pm »
Had a day off work and school so i got down to Prescott, AZ to visit my friend and go out for a little quail hunting before he got off work. No luck on the quail, I saw about 4 covey's of em right as I got back into the housing area off Old Cherry Creek road.

Outskirts of Bottle Ranch, met some friendly faces

There was some water in the creek where i parked so I was hoping to see some, but nothin'

My quail hunting setup, 1956 Ithaca m37 20 gauge and a 1950's no dash model 36 smith loaded with 2 rounds of snake shot and 3 rounds of lead swc

thanks for looking

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: Little quail hunting trip
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:59:46 pm »
    Even when you don't get anything it's hard to beat a day spent walking around in the fresh air and sunshine.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:50:42 pm »
    Nice pics.  That Ithaca 37 looks exactly like the one I grew up with watching my father use.  In my gun safe now and would never trade it of.  Looks like a great day afield.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 05:00:56 pm »
    Niiiiiiiiice.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:55 pm »
    Great pics as usual.  Hey, the worst day spent quail hunting is better than the best day spent at work, no?   ;-)
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Slips73

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 08:51:23 am »
    Great pics as usual.  Hey, the worst day spent quail hunting is better than the best day spent at work, no?   ;-)

considering I ride horses for work, its sorta a solid split haha, but i do enjoy a day in the field regardless doing some armed hiking

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 07:20:03 pm »
    OK - I'm officially on board with the idea that what you call work should be considered cheating.   :yes   Good onya'.   :thumbup
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 08:18:09 am »
    I think I'll probably get out for quail next Sunday for a day trip. Any thoughts on East Valley spots? I went out to Queen Valley last year and only saw one covey, and they were directly across the street from a residence...
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

AzShooter1

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 08:40:57 am »
    Great pics of a super area.  Funny how the quail seem to know you are coming and hide until you can no longer shoot at them.

I really miss quail hunting.  Hard to hunt from a wheelchair, but I use to have great  luck by Wickenburg.  I think quail season is the most fun of all the hunting seasons.  Very tasty birds.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »
    Hard to hunt from a wheelchair....

Are you a vet? If so, I seem to recall a program that could hook you up with a powered off road chair with rifle rest for little or no cost. I don't remember for sure what the program is called, but it's out there somewhere. Also, in AZ, if you are not mobile (in a chair, permanent crutches/cane/etc) you can get a waiver that allows you to literally hunt from your truck...like stick the gun out the window and boom. Pick up a copy of the regs or check em out online. Lots of opportunities to hunt in AZ, and very accomidating
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 06:48:08 pm »
    I'm guessing its technically possible but what he misses from the hunts can't be replicated by simply shifting you from a walking hunt to a driving one.   :hmm
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 07:15:34 pm »
    I totally agree. Just giving extra options.

hikingwithguns

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:11:42 pm »
    Nice  :thumbup some beautiful country there.

I'll have my six months and resident license soon, quail is high up on my list along with squirrel for the first year.
    “Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.” Joe Biden

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement