Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cosmolene, Gaack!  (Read 3631 times)

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    • Greg Langelius *
Re: Cosmolene, Gaack!
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 09:38:23 am »
Followup to the masking/Duck tape saga; it's been removed.

It came off, both together just like fresh masking tape. I think the Duck tape kept the masking tape adhesive fresh and lively.

The rifle is a Win '94AE 44 Magnum Trapper Carbine that I had gifted to my Grandson back in NY, and had never expected to see again. Well, he moved in with us, and I got to play with the Winnie again.

The wood is pristine, like new. There is absolutely no tape residue.

The project worked perfectly. I estimate that the tape was on the wood somewhat longer than a decade. IMHO, it protected the wood at least as well as Cosmoline, and I would even consider using it on metal for long term (like potentially eternal) storage, just like the Mosin's, etc..

I no longer worry about accidentally removing blueing. I've been maintaining Ceremonial Garands, and I started touching up nicks and scratches, as well a wear marks, on the metal. I'm using Brownell 44-40 Instant Gun Blue Creme. Fast, looks great, wears well; I'm a confirmed user.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Gun-Blue-Creme-Formula/dp/B01JUZCIHI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2DAWVBVZJ4FME&dchild=1&keywords=brownell+formula+44%2F40+instant+gun+blue&qid=1595868432&sprefix=brownell+44-40%2Caps%2C220&sr=8-4

I wear Nitrile Gloves while using it, clean the work piece off afterward with alcohol, and finish cure it with a saturation of good gun oil. It wouldn't hurt to wear eye pro, too.

Greg
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:57:38 am by JarheadAZ »
Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

h8pvmnt

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 10:53:04 am »
    Heat Gun on low heat works wonders to melt the cosmoline off. I put it in something to let it ooze into. Old box etc. Works well.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 12:03:47 pm »
    Yup.  Painter's tape works well to preserve what's underneath without becoming permanently bonded to whatever its stuck to.  I use it on quite a few things and have found it works well on wood, metal or leather without causing any chemical reactions.  So far.  Good to know that another layer of tape over the top of it preserves the integrity of the adhesive over the long haul.    :thumbup   
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

grayland

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 03:20:32 pm »
    There are a lot of good ideas and experience here.
    Actually, I hope to never have to deal with cosmoline again.

I am going to give the 44/40 Gun Blue  a try.
    NRA Member
    AZCDL Member
    CCW
    2A Supporter for over 60 years

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement