Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pocket pistol  (Read 760 times)

tlolesen

Pocket pistol
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
Iam looking for something that will fit complete in a back pocket of jeans, and I can place there and drive around or whatever​. Is there such a weapon or am I looking for Bigfoot. Thanks for any info caliber and # of rounds is completely up for discussion.

JK357

Re: Pocket pistol
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »
380 Something 6-8 rounds? :hmm

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:57:52 PM »
Not a fan of back pocket carry but there are plenty of options, LCP .380, Seecamp .380 or .32 , NAA Guardian .380 or .32, the R380.

LuckyLeaky

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
Better question is how big are your back pockets...

Jnco's can fit a 1911 with no problen
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

FreeInAZ

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
Not a fan of back pocket carry but there are plenty of options, LCP .380, Seecamp .380 or .32 , NAA Guardian .380 or .32, the R380.
Pick pockets LOVE back pocket carry....

StealthyMcStealth

• Bang
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
That video is crazy. Not many thieves would try such a stunt but then again it looks like it was hanging out of his back pocket. The idea of pocket carry, in ANY pocket, is to conceal the gun so the shape of the gun is not visible. Same with IWB holsters.

That said, aside from the pistol choice you have to buy the right clothing that suits where you want to carry. Pockets come in many different sizes and shapes so inspect them before you buy pants or shorts.

FreeInAZ

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 01:15:58 AM »
That video is crazy. Not many thieves would try such a stunt but then again it looks like it was hanging out of his back pocket. The idea of pocket carry, in ANY pocket, is to conceal the gun so the shape of the gun is not visible. Same with IWB holsters.

That said, aside from the pistol choice you have to buy the right clothing that suits where you want to carry. Pockets come in many different sizes and shapes so inspect them before you buy pants or shorts.
Yep, you & I and most here know clothes and discreet pocket carry matters, but you'd be surprised how many folks don't know what they don't know! I was in a pet store some time back and the guy a couple of spots in front of me with his hands full, has what looked to be a PPK pistol grip or similar sticking out of his back pocket... :facepalm:. Then there was the joker with jogging / running shorts on who kept nearly dropping his Ruger LC9/LCP380  as he walked through my local circle K. To the point I went way out of my way to put distance between us. I think he was just stupid but after the third fumble, I wasn't sure if he was the world's most uncoordinated robber... :eek:

So if you must back pocket carry.... wear a belt and use a pocket holster, and make sure it all fits without popping out BEFORE you go strolling around, please ;).

tlolesen

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 05:35:18 AM »
I usually we're a pair of wranglers. What do you guys think of something like a Derringer?

FreeInAZ

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
Maybe empty out one of your front pockets? Right if your right handed? Just saying its much more secure than back pocket carry. Maybe switch from normal jeans to painters jeans that have diagonal cut front pockets that allow for fast, yet secure drawing of a pistol...?

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »
^ Good advice there . . . ^  Something small and flat like a single stack .380 ought to work for you.  Maybe a S&W Bodyguard?    :shrug
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

tlolesen

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion I will not change my clothes to accommodate a weapon the weapon needs to fit my clothes. Iam someone who doesn't carry all the time but sometimes when I go to the mall or other public place would like to have something if some idiot starts shooting and I need to protect myself or my family. I can always open carry but sometimes don't want to.

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
  • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 07:25:10 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion I will not change my clothes to accommodate a weapon the weapon needs to fit my clothes. Iam someone who doesn't carry all the time but sometimes when I go to the mall or other public place would like to have something if some idiot starts shooting and I need to protect myself or my family. I can always open carry but sometimes don't want to.

In that case you could post a photo of a "typical" outfit you'd wear. Might give use more of an idea of what could work.

If loose clothing is your norm then somewhat baggy shirts worn untucked could help conceal even a full-sized pistol carried OWB. By conceal I mean disguise from casual observation. I normally OC but have gone "CC-lite" on rare occasion. :shrug
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

FreeInAZ

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
You're welcome. Good luck. ;)

pmanton

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »
I used to carry an AMT backup .380 in the right back pocket of my Levi's. At the pants wore the pistol would print the back pocket and new Levi's would be in order.
Now I carry a Ruger LCP in a side pocket.

Paul
Salome

Trident

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »
I used to carry an AMT backup .380 in the right back pocket of my Levi's. At the pants wore the pistol would print the back pocket and new Levi's would be in order.
Now I carry a Ruger LCP in a side pocket.

Paul
Salome

Pmanton,

Do you use a pocket holster or trigger shield or do you literally just drop it into your pocket?

The thought of not having something at least covering the trigger to prevent ND would make me nervous.

Ref:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:33:00 AM by Trident »
Getting better one shot at a time...

pmanton

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2017, 06:30:48 AM »
The LCP has a very long and stout trigger pull. It's in a roomy side pocket with nothing else. The only way for a discharge would be if I took it out with my finger on the trigger and pulled it.

Paul
Salome

Trident

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »
The LCP has a very long and stout trigger pull. It's in a roomy side pocket with nothing else. The only way for a discharge would be if I took it out with my finger on the trigger and pulled it.

Paul
Salome

Thanks for the response Paul.

BTW, My question wasn't to deride your carry method, more to inform and address my own phobias.
Getting better one shot at a time...

Whathefff

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 04:03:14 PM »

Paul
Salome

The LCP II is a whole lot better
“Maybe Poker’s just not your game, Ike. I know – let’s have a spelling contest!”

armoredman

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 12:00:09 AM »
Get a pocket holster - I pocket carried a PPK one day and by the end of the day I had a LOT of rust to clean off. :(
If you won't dress around the gun, yes, you are going to be very restricted on what you can use depending on your clothing choices. I agree on front pocket carry being the best of the pocket carry choices.

TNFrank61

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »
I'd say LCP II and ditto on emptying out your front pocket to carry in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.  That being said carrying a firearm isn't suppose to be convenient or comfortable it's there to save your life in a deadly encounter. You dress around the gun, you don't pick a gun to fit into your dress.   There are some options that are better than others but either way when you carry you have to modify your the way you dress to fit the gun.  I did the pocket carry deal with a Kahr CW380 and also with my Beretta Nano and it worked well but with my M&P Shield I carry with the 8 round magazine in a BladeTech IWB holster and it's as comfortable as can be plus I have more rounds on tap.  I could carry the Shield in the pocket if I wanted to but it's just so much easier to get to the gun in the truck with it in my waste band rather than in my pocket.  For a back up gun pocket would be ok but if it's going to be your primary I'd say look for a different way to carry where it's more accessible to you from a seated position. 
NRA Member

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
- Ted Nugent

twobadazbrothers

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2017, 06:48:09 AM »
I carry a keltec p32 in a pocket holster in front right pocket it's the most comfortable pocket carry IMHO and it's super reliable but just remember it's not my primary weapon I always keep a full size near by 😉

JarheadAZ

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
I don't carry regularly (yet...), but there is a S&W M&P 9 Shield in the household, and I'm thinking of bringing in another one for my own personal use.

...And while I'm probably a bit short of personally endorsing pocket carry, a quick Amazon search discloses this holster https://www.amazon.com/DESANTIS-Nemesis-Holster-Ambidextrous-N38BJE1Z0/dp/B0020HN0TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495125441&sr=8-1&keywords=s%26w+m%26p+shield+pocket+holster , which would probably be my selection for such carry.

I am also guessing that Alex here might be a good source for relevant advice and products.

Greg
Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
    • One Particular Harbor
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
I usually we're a pair of wranglers. What do you guys think of something like a Derringer?

Bond Arms use to make a Derringer style pistol (The Texan?) that mounted on a belt buckle.  It looked like a Rodeo Buckle.  Pretty sweet and innocuous.  Not what I would carry, but it might fit your MO.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

tlolesen

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestion butt it looks like I will have to continue to open carry, maybe an in waist band for when I want to be a little more discreet. I always tuck in my shirt so do you have to any suggestions on a 9mm or larger with IWB  holster. I need a new gun anyway so anything is an option.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 07:12:45 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestion butt it looks like I will have to continue to open carry, maybe an in waist band for when I want to be a little more discreet. I always tuck in my shirt so do you have to any suggestions on a 9mm or larger with IWB  holster. I need a new gun anyway so anything is an option.
Glock 43 for really small and 9mm
Glock 19 for lots of ammo and 9mm (I'm 5' 10" and 180# and can hide one in a tuckable iwb holster)
RugerLC9   ( Really thin, but I hate the trigger and feel of the grip)
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life