Username: Password:

Author Topic: Instructor accidentally shoots student  (Read 520 times)

StealthyMcStealth

• Bang
Instructor accidentally shoots student
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
 :facepalm

44-year-old instructor was conducting a class for people seeking concealed pistol licenses when he “pulled his gun out of its holster, pointed it at the door separating the two classrooms and fired a round.”

A 39-year-old Detroit man in another classroom was struck in both legs.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2017/05/04/gun-class-man-shot/101285576/

Amplifiedsoul

Re: Instructor accidentally shoots student
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »
Sounds like he violated all of 4 of Cooper's rules.

Rusty Young Man

• Open Carry advocate
  • "A Right unexercised is a Right lost."
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
Oh man. :facepalm

Here's hoping the guy who got hit recovers quickly.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.”-- Frederic Bastiat

I carry for self defense, desensitizing, and educating. In that order.

StealthyMcStealth

• Bang
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:09:45 PM »
Sounds like he violated all of 4 of Cooper's rules.

For sure! Even though I am a fan of carrying with a round in the chamber in public I am pretty sure that if I was teaching a class where I had to unholster the gun many times for training purposes I would carry it with no round in the chamber.

patkelly4370

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 03:58:17 AM »
Title should be:
"Instructor NEGLIGENTLY shoots student"
Hopefully ex-instructor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 04:00:46 AM by patkelly4370 »

PPD7800

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:41:13 AM »
I would love to know more about this "instructor", like his experience, credentials and how long he had been teaching.

I thaught for 8years full time dealing with about 2800- 4000 students a year, having to switch gears from semi-autos, revolvers shotgun and rifle. Luckily I always team taught so I never had to have live Ammon on me when I was the lead instructor.  I would run a red gun or dummy rounds only, the rest of the team would have live ammo to do live fire demonstrations and would not do non firing demos unless the were facing down range.

Regardless if I was running a red gun or dummy ammunition anytime the gun came out of the holster for a non firing demo it was checked to ensure it was unload and always pointed in a safe direction. This is not done just because it is the right thing to do but it also impresses on the student good gun handling skills and habits, because the student is going to immulat what the instructor does. But on the flip side that instructor certainly demonstrated what not to do and what can happen when you don't follow safety protocols. 
"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day"

StealthyMcStealth

• Bang
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 06:39:57 PM »
I'm no expert but I have heard that it is pretty easy to pass the written test that gives you the credential of "NRA Instructor." Now... I would HOPE that any business that trains the public would make sure the people they hire actually know what they are doing instead of just having a piece of paper that says NRA Instructor on it. But you never know...