Username: Password:

Author Topic: SIG SAUER P320 X-Five Review  (Read 327 times)

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
SIG SAUER P320 X-Five Review
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:15:32 PM »
The other day my better half and I went over to C2 Tactical to send some rounds down range.  One of the primary weapons we brought along on this range trip was our new P320 X-Five.

The P320 X-Five comes with a large black grip module with an attached magwell.  One of my pet peeves with the firearm was that while I could install any compatible grip module onto the weapon, the magwell was fixed and could not move to a different grip module.  What I ultimately want on the X-Five is an OD Green grip module.  I can do this now but will likely wait until Sig Sauer releases grip modules with the attached magwell.  No real reason why I want the magwell aside from the looks.  I found the P320 X-Five to be comfortable to hold and shoot.  The boss, on the other hand, found the P320 to be much too large for her small hands.

The P320 X-Five does with an upgraded trigger from the factory.  It ships with a Sig Sauer flat trigger.  Trigger feel is a definite improvement over the stock P320 trigger.  In my opinion it feels great and has a very apparent reset.  One of the first changes I made to my other P320 was to swap out the stock Sig trigger to an Apex flat trigger.  While the Apex trigger is a great improvement, the P320 X-Five trigger just feels better than the Apex.  The P320 X-Five sites are different than what I'm used to.  The front sight is a fiber optic site but the rear site is a blank site; no dots, fiber optic elements, or tritium vials.  It took us a few rounds to orient to this but we were ultimately able to shoot this pistol pretty darn accurately.

We fired about 200 rounds through this pistol during the range session.  We placed a full sized profile target at about 30 feet.  After a few initial rounds we both were able to basically cut big holes in the target chest and head.  The pistol feels a bit heavy so it's probably not an optimal choice for carry...

The one thing I noticed about the P320 X-Five that I was less than thrilled about was that it got really dirty really fast.  When we got the pistol home, I broke it down to clean it.  What I found was that parts of the barrel and frame were black.  Also, towards the end of our time at the range, we found that by the 150 round mark (more or less) the pistol started to have FTE issues.  The empty brass would stove-pipe once or twice per loaded magazine.  Now that the pistol is cleaned and lubed I'm going to try to take the pistol back to the range in the next week or so to put more rounds through it.  Hopefully the FTE issues were an anomaly and won't happen again.
"If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."  ~ W.C. Fields

870policemag

• Sr. Contributor
Re: SIG SAUER P320 X-Five Review
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 08:09:46 PM »
Great write up.  :thumbup
Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Trident

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 09:40:50 PM »
Thanks. When I first saw the P320 X5 I thought it looked like it had a high bore axis. Then I saw that Max Michel set a world record in steel challenge on Smoke and Hope with a Production P320, faster than even the open guns.

I've been lusting for one ever since.

Do you plan to shoot IDPA, USPSA or Steel Challenge with it? I'm interested in hearing how it stacks up against a G34 or 5" M&P Pro. (or M 2.0)

Thanks again.

Getting better one shot at a time...

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
Thanks. When I first saw the P320 X5 I thought it looked like it had a high bore axis. Then I saw that Max Michel set a world record in steel challenge on Smoke and Hope with a Production P320, faster than even the open guns.

I've been lusting for one ever since.

Do you plan to shoot IDPA, USPSA or Steel Challenge with it? I'm interested in hearing how it stacks up against a G34 or 5" M&P Pro. (or M 2.0)

Thanks again.

I'd love to shoot competition with the X-Five but, to be bluntly honest, I'm not that good a shooter!  And, since I'm being honest, I'm much too slow and too damn fat to be marginally competitive.  And even if I quadruple the number of minutes I spend each day on my elliptical I doubt that it'll make that much of a difference in the short term.  On the other hand, one of these days I'm gonna try steel challenge just for the hell of it.

I purchased the X-Five mostly because I like the P320 line and have a personal affinity towards long slide pistols.  One of my longer term plans is to take the X-Five along with my Rock Island Armory 1911A2 (that's their 2011 clone) to the range to see which I prefer shooting.  It's gonna be interesting since I really enjoy shooting both of these pistols!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:02:14 PM by Martimus »
"If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."  ~ W.C. Fields

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »
Oh and one other thing I noticed on the X-Five, it looks like the slide is cut for an optic

I have no idea how to remove that insert, and I likely have little interest in installing an optic on the X-Five.  I'm happy, on the other hand, to see that Sig may have given people the option to install optics if they want......

Trident

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
I had my first Steel Challenge match this past weekend, I think you would really like it. Not a lot of motion, but balancing speed with accuracy was harder than it seemed like it ought to be.

My squad had very diverse firearms. There were a few 9mm carbines, a few rimfire pistols and an 8 shot 9mm revolver. The other guys on my squad were at least 10 years older than me (And I'm not young) and to a man beat me. They were really helpful introducing me to the sport. I'll definitely be back and try to be a bit more competitive.
Getting better one shot at a time...