Username: Password:

Author Topic: Modern Round - Anyone been lately?  (Read 244 times)

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
    • One Particular Harbor
Modern Round - Anyone been lately?
« on: May 16, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »
Wife and I have been trying to go since it opened, but every time we call to get a reservation they are booked.  Part of this is our fault because we don't start thinking about this until Friday night and scheduling it for the CURRENT weekend.  I think we'd be better off scheduling a week out.

Just wondering if it lives up to the hype?  Cool spot?  Good food?  Good service?  Fun time?

I don't want to spend all week looking forward to this and then get there and its a meh...
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

ynotaz

Re: Modern Round - Anyone been lately?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:40:12 AM »
If you want serious “range time” don’t go.  That's not to dissuade you but MR is meant to be an entertainment venue.

The wife and I have gone since their soft opening, have never had a bad experience, and my wife loves the food and shooting.  The food is very good and the beer is 29 degrees.  Now the shooting:

If is a HUGE video game so you will not hone your tactical skills.  While you're having fun however you can practice ammo management, target selection, shoot don’t shoot, and snap shooting.  On the real-life scenarios, they can all be beat, when you first try some of them you won’t believe that.  When you learn, what is going to happen in the RL scenarios, you can beat them.  There are over 100 RL scenarios and they do update them so it doesn’t get stale.

The firearms are interesting.  They are working with several different types and trying to update what they currently use.  The Glocks and Ars run on CO2 so you have to do mag changes and there is sound and slight recoil at the firearm.  Another pair of Glocks, one heavy the other lighter, have laser aiming with no CO2.  The Glock safety on the trigger turns the laser on.  That is the only part where they deviate from real firearms handling; you have your finger on the trigger and you are applying pressure in order to aim long before you're ready to shoot.  The ARs are MIL spec except for the receivers which house the electronics. 

They are constantly working on upgrades.  I ran a prototype MP5 that was as heavy as the real one and at the end of running through a couple snap shooting drills, I was physically tired.  The trigger pull on the original laser Glocks would wear out your trigger finger after 2 zombie attacks.  They have lightened the trigger pull considerably.

Between food service and Real Life scenarios which have a lot of character interaction to develop the shoot don’t shoot decision, you can eat up a one hour time slot quickly.  We usually do 2 hours, early is the day is cheaper, Groupons has 50% off and Mondays are 50% off.  You have to join and it is a $5 annual membership per person.  If it is your first time there they ask you to run through the firearms safety video, which covers the 4 basic rules of firearms handling and asks you to treat the replicas as real firearms.

Like I said if you’re planning to go for "range time", take a pass, otherwise it's a blast. 

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
    • One Particular Harbor
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 11:17:51 AM »
AWESOME!

Certainly not looking for "range time."  Looking for a "good time."

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

ynotaz

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
Only one other comment:  If you or your wife are easily offended by language, use caution.  If you get the Real Life scenarios there is language.  Even if you don't and a neighboring booth does, you will hear it. 

If that is not an issue take advantage of one of the discount methods and have fun.

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
    • One Particular Harbor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 08:40:41 PM »
Offended by?

Fluent like a second language is more likely.
It's quite possible there might not be enough profanity.

Last time we went out drinking my wife started a China Syndrome chain reaction meltdown of profanity that had all the sailors muffle their ears and run screaming out of the bar like little girls.  I think we'll go okey-dokey.   ;-)

ynotaz

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:32:27 PM »
The language is in the police RL shoot/don't shoot, not the military or any of the games or drills. 

I'm interested in your take on MR when you finally get there.

AZ Husker

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:52:48 AM »
The food is very good and the beer is 29 degrees.
Cold beer and shooting...a perfect combination to hone your skills!  ;-D