Username: Password:

Author Topic: Need advice on a chronograph  (Read 565 times)

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
Need advice on a chronograph
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »
So I'm looking at picking up a chrono. Purpose is just track my hand loads and Measure deviation in different loads, and to give me a better starting point to develop a dope at long range. Would like it to work for pistol and rifle.

I'm leaning towards this one
Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0028MTBJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BQLhzbMS14D9X

I curious about how well the magneto ones work. My issue is you can't use it with a pistol that doesn't have a rail. If I did get one I was looking at this one. Magnetospeed V3 Chronograph Barrel Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JZR1C10/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ITLhzbAET15V1

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
Re: Need advice on a chronograph
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:14:32 AM »
I've had my Magnetospeed V2 for 3-4 years now in HARD USE.

Nate has the sporter Magnetospeed

we both love em and I personally wouldn't buy anything else. Ryan Hey is a good dude to talk to if ya had questions.

the magneto can be used for pistol if ya put the blade in a gun vise. its just not ideal but will still give ya readings. maybe some errors.
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
Glock Certified Armorer

armoredman

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:04:58 AM »
I've been using a ProChrono for a few years now, but it doesn't see a whole lot of use, maybe a few times a year. It's been just fine for what I need, but if you get just the unit without any way to remotely operate it, bring some opera glasses to read each readout between shots in a string, or wait to run out past the line during a cold line to run it all down for each string. I wait until I have an empty line and go from there. :)
My first chronograph was a Chrony - it lasted 6 rounds...number six went through the front of the box instead of the skyscreens. Oops.

MisterHemi

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »
Have you considered an Oehler?

anm2_man

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
Magnetospeed Works great for Rifles, and if that is your need I would recommend it as "Car_ram_rod has stated, but its kindof useless for pistol rounds.  I believe that the RADAR Chrony http://mylabradar.com/ is the way to go.  Works with any kind of firearm, ITS expensive but fills all of the needs.  Thinking about buying one (and Renting It out), since I've shot more chornys between the LCD Screens. 

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »
C-R-R, what was the big difference between the V2 and the sporter? The V3 was a little more then I wanted to spend.

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
That Doppler radar one is amazing but I'm not ready to drop 6 bills on one.

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 04:40:59 PM »
Have you considered an Oehler?

Oehler stopped sell Chrono's around 4 years ago. Not sure if they are back selling them.

I bought a CED and put it up against my buddies Oehler and they were within 1 FPS at 2300 fps so that's not bad as Oehler is considered the industry standard.

The Doppler is neat but I am not doing research work so that's a bit of overkill for what I want. I have even done shotgun work with the CED.

Jon

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »
C-R-R, what was the big difference between the V2 and the sporter? The V3 was a little more then I wanted to spend.

the V3 has a larger strap i believe and stronger retention system. then they upgraded it to transfer data to your cell phone which IMO is awesome

the Labradar is "good" but its not near as rugged as it should be. it also is useless at a range unless your alone. it'll pick up shooters shots near ya. Frank Galli has broken 2 of em so far. My V2 has been through hell!!! and still kicking.
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
Glock Certified Armorer

DuneShoot

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 07:06:55 AM »

TheCol.U.S.M.C.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »
Thank you all for the help. That is a good price too. Guess I got some thinking to do.