Username: Password:

Author Topic: Don't overlook the Bolt Action Shotgun.  (Read 4879 times)

TNFrank61

• Contributor
Don't overlook the Bolt Action Shotgun.
« on: June 14, 2017, 01:06:58 pm »
Many times folks looking for a fist shotgun for a younger member of the family or a second, beater gun go single shot but why? You can pick up a good bolt action shotgun for the same amount of money or even less and have faster second and third shots then you can with a single shot and almost as fast as with a pump gun.  If you're in the market for a good, inexpensive shotgun give some of the older bolt action guns a close look. You just may find one that fits your needs without breaking the bank.

Luke 22:36 (NIV)
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
- Ted Nugent

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Administrator
    Re: Don't overlook the Bolt Action Shotgun.
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:31:03 pm »
    I agree.I still own the first shotgun I learned on. It's a bolt action full choke J.C. Higgens/High Standard in.16 gauge. Lord only knows how many critters I've taken with that.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:12:40 pm »
    I've got a 410 bolt like that one.  Mine's a Savage I think?  Only the one shell too.  No magazine.  Full or extra full choke.
    Fun as hell to shoot!

Sounds cool!  Post pictures of it as I don't think I've ever actually seen a 410 bolt action before.

I went the opposite direction on 410's........ I picked up a lever action 410.  Feeds my lever gun addiction in a 410 gauge form factor...... Woo Hoo!
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

patkelly4370

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:18:40 am »
    I was given my Grandfathers Mossberg K187, 20g bolt-action shotgun. Two round mag, 1 in the chamber. Has the "C-lect" choke, just twist it in or out to constrict or expand the muzzle/choke.
    It has been passed to my oldest son, so it's on its 4th generation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:27:12 am »
    We did have a tube fed bolt action 410 in stock but someone jumped on it before I could get it. Anyway, I think the 20ga will be more to my liking for dove hunting. I guess I should look for an extra magazine just in case I need one but the one that came with the gun seems to function fine.
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 12:23:37 pm »
    Sure.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:20 pm »
    My old man refinished the stock decades ago. I've been thinking about refinishing the whole gun

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 10:55:31 am »
    My dream shotgun is a Savage 220. I prefer 20ga for reasons of recoil and medical history. I have three 20's already, but they are a Mossberg rifled 20ga and a pair of 20ga semi's. The Mossberg and the Savage 220 each have 2rd detachable box magazines. If I can't down a deer with 3 rounds, I have no business being out there hunting them.

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:59:05 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 11:09:47 pm »
    Twenty is plenty.  :thumbup   A rifled slug out of that Savage should be good out to roughly 150 yards .   
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 12:14:25 pm »
    Played around with this shotgun for the first couple days of Dove Season and it's nice enough but I just want to get into something else. If anyone is interested I posted a For Sale thread in our For Sale Area. Thanks.

- Ted Nugent

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 10:34:53 pm »
    A guy at work bought it so it's sold. Thanks.  ;-)

- Ted Nugent

Arizonagunsmith

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 10:00:37 am »
    I agree.I still own the first shotgun I learned on. It's a bolt action...

I still have my first shotgun. Given to me for my 12th birthday, Winchester Model 12 in 12 gauge. Around 17 years old, I stuffed the barrel with snow getting over a fence. Just as my feet hit the ground the dog flushed a big male pheasant. I took the shot not knowing the barrel had filled up with snow. Barrel looked like a banana peel and that rooster got to live another day. I cut the end off and continued using it ever since. In 1981 while at the police department a Model 12 came up for destruction. Talked to the property control Sgt. who told me to take it to the Armourery and just return the receiver to him. Welded up the serial number on the extension and sent it to Simmons to have the rib installed. They stamped the extension to match Winchester's stamps as my stamps did not match in the font style. I have an unofficial 2 barrel set.

Jon

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 10:29:28 am »
     :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

MyMalteseFalcon

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 03:35:55 am »
    Seeing this is an old thread, perhaps it needs reviving...

I still have my first shotgun I ever purchased, for $75, back in 1980, was gently used. I believe it was manufactured in 1974. Bolt action Mossberg 595 12 ga with 3 rd detachable mag.
    Also, has the select choke, that has been a lot of fun back in my old turkey hunting days. Back in those days, with young family it felt good to have some security in the home.

Had a bit of rust issue back in the '90s so had it parked grey which gave it lot more character. The wood stock is still nice, with no dings or scratches in the wood.
    Still a nice shooter after all these years. Of course I don't do any bird hunting these days, but it still works flawlessly. This is one gun that's getting passed on to my son.
    Like to add that few years back Mossberg had a safety re-call on a few models, it was the 695 & not the 595 that they re-called for safety issues, just to clear this fact up.
    « Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:40:10 am by MyMalteseFalcon »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement