Username: Password:

Author Topic: Cool New Knife, Viper Scout  (Read 308 times)

Alex

Cool New Knife, Viper Scout
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:19:23 am »
I usually prefer hand made knives but I kind of got burned on the last 2 I bought and was on the search for a small/medium fixed blade that I could actually use. I have a couple in this size range but I like them to much to use them. I know, stupid to buy a tool and not use it but.

I had an Ontario Tac1 which was about the same overall length but it always seemed so large for the actual cutting edge. Odd .. it just seemed BIG and heavy for a medium sized knife. I also have a 7 inch ontario rat which is one of my favorite knives. Awesome knife.

I was kind of setup to buy an Ontario Rat 3 but then saw this beauty and vacillated for a few weeks and finally pulled the trigger.

It is From Tops and is called the Viper Scout. It comes in this kind of red/clay color and an antique white paper micarta. My Blade measures 4 1/16 from the scales to the tip and overall is a hair under 8 3/4. I have smallish hands and my army dress gloves which I still have and use are a size 7. From all the pix I was afraid this would be too large for me to get a comfortable grip because of the large belly on the handle but what I wasn't able to see was how thin the handle is. The handle at its widest is .55" making it crazy comfortable and especially nice when pinching to say cut steak. The blade thickness is .13" which I find to be perfect mix for durability without giving up cutting ability. I DO NOT dig the 1/4 stock knives and still dont know what you do with them.

The knife weighs in without sheath at 5.5 ounces and is light and lively in the hand due to the balance, ergo's and light wieght. Reminds of a new puppy bouncing around with anticipation ... come on come on lets do something!

The knife is beautiful and came Crazy sharp. Now I enjoy sharpening and RARELY do I get a knife I dont think needs a bit of work but this one is a laser. It even has a descent heavy leather sheath and I even like the color of the sheath but the welt wasnt trimmed proper and extends to far into the sheath but I think I know where I can score another leather sheath.  :-P

There is some very nice jimping for your thumb that lives in a notch and whats great is it holds fast but is not so aggressive that it bites. The knife design feels like someone grabbed a piece of clay and squeezed it and then designed the knife around that.

It is 1095 .. a favorite of mine and Supposedly the coating is durable from online reviews but I think I would have preferred a naked blade to the black but I am kind of a traditionalist.

Only negative I can add. I am to damn old for silly pseudo tactical names. I dont wear watches that say navy seal and I would have preferred that VIPER SCOUT was not tattooed on the blade. I think Viper Scouts are the enemy of GI Joe or was it power rangers... I dont know but that is what it sounds like and it even has a little viper head on the blade .... Ugh.   :facepalm

but I can forgive that because I do intend to scratch this sucker so it wont matter.

The scales are amazing. The texturing looks crazy aggressive but it doesnt feel it. Very sure grip but no pain and I think they are neat looking. They are removable which I like because I will make some wood scales just to switch it up from time to time.

I got mine from https://www.sharpernow.com/ which not only had it at the best price with free shipping but as you may know from some of my other posts I am a bitch about customer service and this place was one of the best experiences I have had. They shipped same day and they send you alerts of its progress along the way by sending emails to let you know when it shipped, when its out for delivery and when it was delivered. I was pretty impressed. My Cost was 95.00 shipped

Oh and it came with a tops rape whistle or some such!? I don't know .. I used to buy cracker jacks for the prize so I like extra gadgets and now maybe I can be a true Viper Scout. If it came with one of those tattoos you used to lick and stick on your arm it would have been cooler still and I think they dropped the ball there.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:46:46 am by Alex »

Alex

Re: Cool New Knife, Viper Scout
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:38:37 am »
Opps Double

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
Re: Cool New Knife, Viper Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 07:17:13 pm »
Nice looking blade.   :thumbup   The handle scales are a little busy and aggressive for my taste but I like the color. 

Over the years I have found that I typically need about two thirds of the blade size I normally gravitate to.  If its sharp and the steel holds an edge well I can generally make a smaller blade work for me.   :shrug
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday