Username: Password:

Author Topic: play stupid games ! win stupid prizes  (Read 1586 times)

Alex

• Contributor
play stupid games ! win stupid prizes
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:40:07 am »
http://www.fox9.com/news/264375166-story

HALSTAD, Minn. (KMSP) - In what family members describe as a YouTube stunt gone wrong, a 22-year-old man from Halstad, Minnesota is dead and his pregnant girlfriend is charged with manslaughter.

Around 6:30 p.m. Monday night, Norman County sheriff’s deputies responded to the 500 block of U.S. Highway 75 on a report of a shooting. Live-saving efforts were made and a medical helicopter was called, but 22-year-old Pedro Ruiz was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ruiz’s girlfriend, 19-year-old Monalisa Perez, has been charged with second-degree manslaughter. According to the criminal complaint, Perez said Ruiz wanted to make a YouTube video of her shooting into a book held to his chest, and he believed the book would stop the bullet. Ruiz convinced Perez to participate in the stunt by showing her a different book he had shot, and the bullet did not go all the way through.

Perez told investigators she fired a 50 caliber handgun from about one foot away while Ruiz held the book to his chest. The book did not stop the bullet, and Ruiz was killed by a single gunshot wound to his chest.

Ruiz’s aunt told Valley News Live that the couple had been trying to get famous on YouTube, and their pranks were escalating. Other pranks the couple posted to YouTube included sneaking a hot pepper into a sandwich and putting baby powder on a doughnut.

"He had told me about an idea. I said, don't do it, don't do it,” Claudia Ruiz said. “Why are you going to use a gun? Why?”

Perez told investigators the shooting was captured on video. She pointed out two GoPro cameras that had been set up -- one on the back of a car and one on a ladder. Deputies seized the cameras as evidence.

Perez will make an initial appearance in Norman County District Court via interactive TV on Wednesday afternoon.
---------------------------------------------

I have shot into dry thick NY phone books lying on the ground and in 9mm and 45 it penetrated book one and lodged in book 2. What book had he shot with a .50 that stopped the bullet?? Two lives gone for some dumb stuff.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

6.5 Gunner

Re: play stupid games ! win stupid prizes
    « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:35:51 am »
    Two lives gone for some dumb stuff.

Three, that baby she's carrying will probably end up in the hell that is the foster care system. There are good fosters out there but most are in it for the check. Waste of life  :smh

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 12:08:27 pm »
    In Minnesota, Manslaughter is a 10 year/$20k fine max. Unless the judge wants to make an example, her lawyers should be able to get her down to 3 or less, or possibly even probation and time served by the time she goes to trial.  Won't look good on a resume, but in all likelihood, she'll move in with family, keep the kid, and be able to move on from this

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
    A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:
    (1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or

The consciously part is what the defense lawyer will use. The  prosecutor will have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, that she did not think the book would stop the bullet. If the defense proves that she felt it was a totally safe situation and there was no chance of injury, they'll have to go to a lesser charge.
    « Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:14:05 pm by steve2md »
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:43:23 pm »
    It's like the Demonrat murderer at the Republican baseball practice - he is not to be held as an example of all Democrats HOWEVER at the same time he is held to be an example of all gun owners. So of course we who run YouTube gun channels, your truly included, will be blamed.

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 07:15:55 pm »
    I dont know? I would think gun review and reviews of gun related material like ammo is a money maker for google in advertising dollars. I cant see them wanting to eliminate that which is of value. Fortunately its what is of value to gin owners. If they want to critically review dumb asses doing dumb ass shit with guns and curtail it ... Im all for it

StealthyMcStealth

• Bang
    « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 08:29:24 pm »
    He deserved to die. Simple. I don't have sympathy for her either. I wouldn't even shoot a blank at a book on someone's chest, let along a live round of ANY caliber.

No2aNoUSA

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:25:18 pm »
    Wow! I had not heard about this. Tragically stupid people!
    FFL07/02SOT

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement