Username: Password:

Author Topic: Moving question  (Read 390 times)

TacticalShadow

Moving question
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
I've asked a few people and have received different answers, hoping I can get an answer on here to clear it up for me. I will be moving to the Columbus, OH area for work (hopefully for just a few years and I'll be back), and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in regards to my form 4 for my suppressor. Is there something I need to submit for my address change?
Sorry if this has already been answered before, I looked through old threads and did not see anything similar. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thernlund

• Administrator
Re: Moving question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:51:25 PM »
You need to file a Form 20 and receive approval before moving the items.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/atf-f-5320-20pdf-0/download

Also be sure your items are legal at your destination and comply with any requirements there.

-T.
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

TacticalShadow

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
Awesome! Thank you very much. Any idea how long these usually take? If I give a rough estimate for the dates it will be in transit Is that acceptable?

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
I personally have never filed a Form 20.  So I couldn't say what the turn around is.  My understanding though is that it's much shorter than Form 4 wait times.

-T.
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

anm2_man

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 02:00:29 PM »
From talking to  out-of-state shooters at the Big Sandy MG Shoots over the years, Most state that it takes 60-90 days on the average for a 5320 to be approved.  Don't know about this year, things always change. 

RetroG

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
When I moved here I got the form OK'd pretty fast, but that was when the time to get a Form 4 was a few months max.

TacticalShadow

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 07:37:37 AM »
So I went to start filling out my form 20 this morning and it states that the form is required for any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled rifle, or short-barreled shotgun. Doesn't say anything about suppressors. I'm wondering if this is why I got mixed answers with those I first asked before coming on here. So is it just recommended to use this form for a suppressor, just to eliminate any possible issues? To me, after the back and forth with shouldering the sig braces on AR pistols when those first came out, I've gone into the mode of if it doesn't specifically state it, don't ask the ATF more questions  :coffee

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:34:29 AM »
Strictly speaking, you don't really need to do anything for just a suppressor.  The rules don't technically apply.

Most people file the form anyway though when the move is permanent.

I guess you could just not do it. Realistically, nobody is going to come to your door and arrest you for it, or even take your item away. I expect the most that would ever happen if you even ended up on the ATFs radar (huge 'if' to begin with) is that they'd frown and give you a month or whatever to submit the right form.  And that's if they even cared to begin with.  I know ATF examiners personally, and all they really care about is helping you be compliant.  Jamming you up is a headache for them too. 

You asked, and that's the form and procedure if you feel you must file a form.  Lots of people use it for suppressors.  Me though, unless I had another NFA item that wasn't a suppressor, I'd just blow it off, pack up my items, and move them just like all my other stuff.  :shrug

(^^ That answer is not typically we'll received, so I was reluctant to give it initially.)

-T.

RetroG

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
When I moved here from Florida, I did some research on what the law says.  As TS found out, it doesn't specifically say silencers on the form.  And the law (from the ATF website) only states that if you own a silencer, you need to inform the ATF when you permanently change addresses, but doesn't state how to do it.  So I used the form.  But if I hadn't gotten approval in time, I would have just moved, since the ATF had the form.

Thernlund

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
I've heard of people just writing a letter to the ATF containing all the details and calling it good.

-T.

Gran Torino

• Get off my lawn
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 02:42:45 PM »
When I moved back to Tennessee from Arizona I used the form as I recall and eventually they sent me a confirmation letter. I didn't even send the form until I was physically back in Tennessee.
If there is no such thing as a stupid question do stupid people suddenly get smart before they ask a question?

https://www.pinterest.com/donaldbeeler/my-knives/