Username: Password:

Author Topic: Serious question for gun owners  (Read 440 times)

Treviend

• Lurker
Serious question for gun owners
« on: August 06, 2017, 10:48:06 PM »
I just moved to Arizona and I currently just got my Arizona state ID can I legally purchase a firearm? My friend told me that I have to have my driver license first

Thernlund

• Administrator
Re: Serious question for gun owners
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 11:34:33 PM »
State-issued ID is fine legally.  A given shop might give you grief though.  Some can be funny about different things. 

-T.
    The views expressed in this post are personal views only and not those of AZGO.  AZGO doesn't have views.  It's a piece of software.

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 11:36:54 PM »
I just moved to Arizona and I currently just got my Arizona state ID can I legally purchase a firearm? My friend told me that I have to have my driver license first

It's my understanding that you can use a state issued ID in lieu of a drivers license.  The following is what is indicated on the ATF web site:

"The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm
"If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."  ~ W.C. Fields

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
1. Are you a RESIDENT of Arizona or a person who resides in a different state but spends considerable time in AZ?  i.e. College Student / Snow Bird?
2. Are you over 21?
3. Are you a Felon or do you have any misdemeanor domestic abuse charges?
4. Are you addicted to any substances? Drugs? Booze?
5. Have you ever been committed to a mental rehabilitation facility by the courts?
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Gran Torino

• Get off my lawn
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 01:39:19 PM »
While I lived in Arizona while my wife finished her military service the ID was what I got in lieu of a drivers license. I knew we were moving back to Tennessee and had no intention of changing my license. I bought several guns with just the ID.
If there is no such thing as a stupid question do stupid people suddenly get smart before they ask a question?

https://www.pinterest.com/donaldbeeler/my-knives/

Alex

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »
If a gun shop gives you sh*t about using a legal form of ID that is not a drivers license you don't need to buy from them ... Period!!

I dont know when a drivers license became defacto ID but I hate it. You aren't required to drive a motor vehicle or show that you have the required proficiency to drive a motor vehicle to own a gun. They are not remotely related unless you are a turret gunner and then ... you wouldnt be driving anyway!!

FreeInAZ

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
He could always give them his passport if he has one and watch their heads explode...

The only issues I've heard people having with state ID'S is when they list a P.O. box as their mailing address. (Think RV crowd).

Alex

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:02 PM »
He could always give them his passport if he has one and watch their heads explode...

The only issues I've heard people having with state ID'S is when they list a P.O. box as their mailing address. (Think RV crowd).

Break'in  out a passport would be EPIC!

There is a comedian who does a bit where he tries to use a credit card at ihop. He is there w his young son and daughter. Waiter asks for drivers license. Comidian says i dont have one but here is my passport. Waiter says we dont accept passport only drivers license. Young daughter asks "isnt this the INTERNATIONAL house of pancakes.

True story or not ... I think its brilliant
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:34:05 PM by Alex »

armoredman

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
Yes, when I worked at a gunshop, a DL with PO Box was not legal. Has to have physical addy.

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
Does it have to be PHOTO ID?

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 10:50:04 PM »
Does it have to be PHOTO ID?

Per out "friends" at the ATF...........

"The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals."
"If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."  ~ W.C. Fields

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 06:37:27 AM »
Damn.  I was going to go buy a gun just to see them flip when I slid the Ham Radio License across the counter.  But alas no photo.  Probably a good thing too.  Most Hams run the severely aesthetically deficient side of the scale.  No pictures please!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 12:21:19 PM »
You mean they got faces for radio?   :pfft
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

FreeInAZ

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:08 PM »
You mean they got faces for radio?   :pfft
Hey... I resemble that remark...

I oughtah...

Moe, Larry...

freeman1685

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 05:37:59 AM »
I've used my Voter ID, and a passport to make a gun purchase.  All you have to do is prove you are an American citizen, and a resident of Arizona with a current address.

NMPops

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 11:08:21 AM »
I've used my Voter ID, and a passport to make a gun purchase.  All you have to do is prove you are an American citizen, and a resident of Arizona with a current address.

Exactly. When I leved in AZ I had a PO Box listed on my AZ DL and my Voter ID card served to show my physical address.
Livin the Dream - Be Safe Out There