Username: Password:

Author Topic: Square trigger guard question  (Read 1005 times)

• Contributor
Square trigger guard question
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:13:43 am »
So many pistols today have square trigger guards today.  The older style were rounded.  What is the purpose of the square or flat front trigger guards?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Administrator
    Re: Square trigger guard question
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:19:20 am »
    It results in flatter shooting duh! I'm just kidding. I think it has a lot to do aesthetics more than anything. Some of them are textured to let your weak side index finger hang on to. I know the M9A1 trigger guard has been squared off but that's to get the light closer to the trigger guard. 
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:55:33 am »
    Yea I dont know if they are still teaching that method in other parts of the world but there is still a strong contingent of people that do index finger in front of the trigger guard to help control recoil. I tried it once and couldn't get any appreciable recoil control but that doesnt mean it doesnt work for others.

My memory may be wrong but I think when my buddies in NYPD went from revo to glock they were taught that method.
    « Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:57:56 am by Alex »

coyotesfan97

• Paws before boots!
    • Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:49 pm »
    Yea I dont know if they are still teaching that method in other parts of the world but there is still a strong contingent of people that do index finger in front of the trigger guard to help control recoil. I tried it once and couldn't get any appreciable recoil control but that doesnt mean it doesnt work for others.

My memory may be wrong but I think when my buddies in NYPD went from revo to glock they were taught that method.

I tried it too and it never did anything wrapping my index finger around the grip didn't do. I saw no reason to switch to it.
    The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.  Thucydides 471BC

"Hey!  Let's be careful out there." Sgt Phil Esterhaus played by Michael Conrad

Whathefff

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:29:13 pm »
    I shoot with my finger on the guard but it has nothing to do with recoil control, it just feels better and my accuracy improved with doing it that way. I've been "corrected" a couple of time by some know it all's but they didn't seem to shoot any better than me so...

Last year I put a light on the night HD pistol so I'm trying to go back but it feels weird now.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:00:20 am »
    The weak hand finger on the front of the trigger guard was popular in the 80s, and it never really went away.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 09:46:20 am »
    I guess I'm just weird but, depending on the pistol I'm shooting, I sometimes lay my off hand index finger alongside the trigger guard - especially the squared off ones.   Seems to help with some - not so much with others.   :hmm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement