Username: Password:

Author Topic: Damn ... dont know if I should practice this more or not  (Read 381 times)

Alex

Damn ... dont know if I should practice this more or not
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:02:35 pm »
Went out with the wife and a bag o guns. Still really impressed with that Canik t100 CZ clone. Best bang for the buck. That thing is dead on accurate and a slightly nicer trigger than my 200 bucks more CZ.

I finally got to try the SR22. Neat ass little gun and my wife after her first mag was again steller with that gun and also shot her canik impressivly well. I would put her against most of the people I see in adjoining lanes ever as far as accuracy.

I was killing it with my CZ and we bought the targets with several smaller targets and 2 inch groups off hand at 21 -30 ft without much effort. Cool. Bought one silhouette target and did a bunch of Mozambique for grins and and was killer. Pretty damn good for a guy that can hardly see the front sight.

Then I took out my revo .. which I had previously been very accurate with. Man oh man .. it took about 3 cylinders before i was shooting well. I didnt throw any off the little targets but my 2 inch group opened up to 4 and just sloppy nasty stuff.

I havent had the revo out in a while but I think  .. after firing 160 rds through some very nice single action guns the revo took a bit to get going on. I was looking to stage like you might at a reset but .. well that wont work. In all I shot ok and better than many but not MY best.

I am thinking I either have to continue doing that  .. shoot my DA/SA and SA then the revo just to train it out of me or ... maybe next time is just a revo day and I dont shoot the others so they dont mess with my trigger control just before I shoot the revo.

I mean .. I am not really training for the apocalypse .. I just like to shoot. If it happens that all that practice playing makes me better ready for the zombies .. cool.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
Re: Damn ... dont know if I should practice this more or not
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 05:37:38 pm »
I ditched all my other pistols and stuck with flicks for the same reason.
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
Glock Certified Armorer

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:38:12 pm »
I don't always but I try to....
Start with the 22 to limber up.
Then take ONE pistol out and shoot it.  Not all of them, just ONE.  Usually that's the 9mm EDC.  Sometimes its the 357 wheel.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:36:40 pm »
That's pretty good advice.   :yes

Always seemed to me that there's a lot of muscle memory going on with a revolver.  And, at least in my case, some of that muscle is between my ears.  :facepalm   It literally starts with loading it and progresses through holstering it, drawing it from the holster, bringing it to bear on the target and beginning the trigger stroke and finally finishes with the decidedly unique recoil impulse you get from any revolver suitable for "social work".   They are not easy to master and if you don't practice with them pretty regularly you will get rusty.  Unless I'm out with the kids or a new shooter my range sessions are always segregated - either revolvers or automatics but never both on the same trip.  Seems to help me with my mechanics by not switching from one to the other.    :shrug
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

rfriedman5

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:32:57 am »
I am happy to see this post. Lately, I’ve been taking as many as six handguns with me to the range and rotating through them, firing as many as 25 rounds each, often quite a bit more. That’s because, no  matter what the gun, even my most reliable easy to shoot favorites ,Springfield Range Officer .45 and Sig 226 9 mm, there is some degradation in my skills if I don’t shoot regularly. But I think I stumbled on a bad idea. It would probably be best to practice with the guns that I most rely on and not try to be all things with them all –about ten—total.
Revolver is another matter. I have only a Ruger LCR .38 Special and after a short time of not using it, I can’t even track where the rounds end up for the first or second load. Even at 12 feet.

Alex

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 01:19:20 pm »
My CZ is my carry and have carried a cz or clone in plstic or metal for almost 2 years so I was glad that I was very good with it and the clone.

The bone head in me says that if I cant switch from gun to gun flawlessly then I must beat it out of me. An early life of lots of competitive sports I think. That and I am sure there is some left over catholic thing going on  :hmm

The older kinder gentler SMARTER me says I wasted 18-20 rds of somewhat pricey ammo because I had to play with the revolver after playing with my other guns and continuing to do so with no goal except not admitting defeat (or being human) would be frustrating for me, less than enjoyable and wasteful. Bottom line was it was a day out for the wife and I and I had a grin from ear to ear because of my shooting that day and hers and it did kind of temper my mood when I started shooting sloppy soooo I think next time if I bring out the revolver I will bring only it and focus.

In the past I always shot the revo first and followed up all the shooting with a mag or two from my CZ just to stay sharp on my carry. That seems to work better.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:07:29 pm »
Dry firing practice is your friend.  Loading and unloading dummy rounds still counts as a reload for practice purposes.  Drawing and re-holstering still counts as practice even if the gun is unloaded.   Range day is supposed to  be fun - it damned well ought to be for what it costs these days -   :shocked

I have seriously considered picking up a pair or two of Crimson Trace grips and a rail mounted laser to facilitate dry firing practice.

I think if you have honed your muscle memory at home the range sessions will likely be more satisfying.   
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday