Username: Password:

Author Topic: Seems like I keep outgrowing my "gun room"  (Read 555 times)

Curmudgeon

Seems like I keep outgrowing my "gun room"
« on: August 28, 2017, 04:12:34 pm »
I have a nice sized room (around 17x20) in my house, devoted strictly to my guns and reloading.

Gun safe is in there.  Workbenches set up for cleaning, and what not.  Nice big bench holds my Dillon 650, my Hornady LNL, and a little Lee press used for miscellaneous crap, like "bulge busting".  Heavy duty shelving holds containers of polished brass, primers, powder.  Separate (even heavier duty) shelf holds bullets.  Containers of "overflow" loaded rounds go on the floor

Was storing my un-polished brass in there as well as my brass separating and polishing stuff.  That crap started to crowd me out a bit.  I moved it all out back, to a building where I have my gym equipment, and workshop.

Got a little sloppy there, because the tumblers, buckets, media, etc., were all spread out on the floor.

I realized that t'is obviously the new home for that crap, so I had to tighten it up somewhat.

Hung a shelf on the wall to hold the tumblers.  Made it high enough so I could double-stack my brass buckets below it.

My wife even helped.  She was delighted that I was freeing up some floor space finally.

Sitting here.  Having a beer, and admiring my work.  YES.  It looks 100 percent better.

Now I have to continue to straighten out my main gun room.  For some reason, that's a mess again.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
Re: Seems like I keep outgrowing my "gun room"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:59:54 pm »
Yeah, I think organization is the key.

Lately, I've been dismantling my gun room and packing stuff into storage in order to sell the house.  Since doing so I've amazed myself on how much gun crap (brass, ammo, components, etc.) I've acquired in the last several years since I'd moved here.  I've got much more brass, components and loaded ammo packed under benches and in closets than I thought I had.  Without proper organization you just don't know exactly how much you're really got or if you can easily find it when you need it.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:20:10 pm »
Yeah, I think organization is the key.

Lately, I've been dismantling my gun room and packing stuff into storage in order to sell the house.  Since doing so I've amazed myself on how much gun crap (brass, ammo, components, etc.) I've acquired in the last several years since I'd moved here.  I've got much more brass, components and loaded ammo packed under benches and in closets than I thought I had.  Without proper organization you just don't know exactly how much you're really got or if you can easily find it when you need it.

OMG.  Yes.  Been there.  My stuff was very well organized when we lived in FL.  But I knew we were moving eventually, so I packed all the ammo, bullets, and whatever stuff that wasn't moving fast into small cardboard boxes (like stock ammo comes in).  We stacked all our packed boxes against walls for months.

When my buddies came to help load the truck, they almost shit themselves....  "Whatdafuck is with all these little heavy as hell boxes"?

I guess I had a lot more than I figured.  Leaf springs on moving truck were almost bending in the opposite direction.  I managed to skip every single weigh station from Fl to here.  Hit the Border check with my Rottie riding shotgun.  Guy says: What's in the truck?  Told him it was our entire life in there, including the car on the trailer I was towing, and the Van that my wife was driving right behind me with the other 2 dogs.

I don't know how far you're moving, but good luck!

JarheadAZ

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 07:02:19 am »
Honestly, do you have enough stuff? Might you have too much stuff?

There's collecting, and then there's prepping, and then there's hoarding.

I moved from NY to here a little over a year ago. By my own definition, if I haven't unloaded the box by now, it's actually surplus. I have surplus.

Right now, I'm sorting out that surplus into two categories. Cat 1; shoot now. Cat 2, divest soonest.

I expect to be shooting some of it tomorrow. Our Granddaughter and my Buddy will be along, and he's a candidate for some of that stuff I'll be divesting. If I'm not going to use it, it's his.

Greg
Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

rfriedman5

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 07:19:40 am »
I reorganize all the time. It is still a mess. My wife asks me constantly, “What do you do out there all the time. I can’t afford to buy everything I want. I’m retired with limited income. So I play with what I have. Over and over. Around and around. It looks pretty good right now, but I’ve got corn cob dust all over the place and I needed a few shelves in one of her cupboards for brass and some other items. It does feel good, like you say, when your get it just right. Doesn’t last long, however in my experience.
A friend said he had a years supply of toilet paper. The discussion got around to hoarding. I think I am on the edge of hoarding, especially ammo. I find myself thinking more about buying more and where to put it than about shooting it.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:18 am »
don't know how far you're moving, but good luck!

This move will be easy as it'll be here in Arizona and likely no more than a 30 mile radius from where I'm currently at.  It'll be nothing like the 1,000 plus mile move like when I retired and moved to AZ.  However, there's also a lot more crap than what I had. 

Also, I have to agree with Greg as my stash has totally gotten out of hand over time.  My goal, which I started several years before I retired, was to have enough on hand to never need to buy more ammo or components for the rest of my shooting life. 

The problem is, without decent organization and some type of inventory method,  I've wound up with more than I'll ever need.  I really should have done my current packing and reorganization back when there was still a demand for ammo and components.  It would have been a good time to sell off some stuff before the demand died.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:14:40 am »
My goal, which I started several years before I retired, was to have enough on hand to never need to buy more ammo or components for the rest of my shooting life. 

The problem is, without decent organization and some type of inventory method,  I've wound up with more than I'll ever need.

What's enough vs. what's too much is a fine line.  I used to have the same thought.  Get to a point, where I can shoot, and NOT pick up the brass anymore

That day hasn't come yet, but maybe pretty soon.  I just topped off my primers about a month ago.  Back up to around 70 K.  I think I'm good on those for a while.  Probably won't buy more until they get REALLY low.  Pretty good on powder also.  Only thing I have to keep replenishing, are bullets.  I guess we all run across that situation.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:29:52 am »
What's enough vs. what's too much is a fine line.  I used to have the same thought.  Get to a point, where I can shoot, and NOT pick up the brass anymore

Well, at least these days its easy to replenish your stocks if you have to.  Its expensive of course, but at least the stuff is available again.  When I first started laying in "supplies for life" things were easy to find and generally available.  However, during the Kenyan's 8 year reign things changed drastically but lets hope those days are gone for a good long while.
Thomas Jefferson

Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 11:46:28 am »
I have a good amount of components.  Think it's reasonable for the amount that we shoot.

However, some stuff that I have purchased, leaves me scratching my head.

Several years ago, I bought TWO GALLONS of Break-Free CLP !  What the hell was I thinking?  Still got a gallon and a half left.  I'm sure that full gallon will still be here, unopened, when I die.  I should probably sell it

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 03:49:14 pm »
Oh yeah, I know what you mean as I've accumulated a bunch of other gun supplies as well.  I just burned through to my last bottle of the original formula Hoppe's #9.  I had bought a case of the regular size bottles a couple of decades ago and despite giving away some of it I just got down to the last bottle.

Its amazing how even innocuous items like cleaning supplies, spare magazines, spare gun parts, etc, pile up.  One of my other hobbies are guitars and in that hobby they have the "GAS" vernacular.  Meaning that many guitarists suffer from GAS---Gear Accumulation Syndrome because of buying too many guitars, pedals, amps and other music and electronic gear.  Its a sickness.
Thomas Jefferson

lesptr

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 04:18:12 am »
There are support groups for both conditions. One meets at the local gun store, the other at the local guitar store. Help is available.

rubinschmidt

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 07:51:54 am »

I'm hoping you guys post your garage sales prominently here when you do decide to let go of stuff.  :whistle

Seriously though, I spent $75 for a table at a gun show a few years back and left with about 1800 dollars. The only gun I took to sell was a beat up old SMLE that was part of a trade, and I had never fired. Over the years I had accumulated way too many bargains when I saw them and needed to clear stuff out, and actually did come out ahead in the end. Things like boxes of Yugo 6.5x55 I bought for $2.99 back in the 90s flew off the table for 10 bucks. The same for boxes of bullets and unopened powder. I've never missed any of it, as I still have more to play with than I'll ever get around to.

As for organization, I found a place off 51st Ave (i think) south of the 10 that had a warehouse full of bookshelves.  I bought library quality (i.e. strong) bookshelves for $50, and these are wonderful for storing your components, loaded ammo, etc. They were heavy enough so that I was able to clamp them together into "walls" in the spare bay of the garage and build a joist and plywood ceiling on top to store light stuff up and out of the way.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:50 am »
Good idea.   :thumbup
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 06:26:38 pm »
That extra tall shelving idea would be good and I've been thinking when I finally get in my new gun room to perhaps accomplish it with multiple gorilla racks. That way I could have shelving that would go all the way to the 10 foot ceilings.  Then I'd likely cover the shelves with something that would also go as high as the ceiling like garage cabinetry in order to present a nicer look. 

I've also decided to get rid of as many cardboard boxes and oddball containers as possible.  I'd keep the cases of ammo in original boxes but get more ammo cans and uniform size plastic tubs to store bullets, cases, parts and loose boxes of ammo so things can be easy to stack and inventory at a glance. 

As stated in previous posts, I've got a bunch of extras on certain things but as my gun room was completely vacated I found I was lacking on some things I had thought I had plenty of.  All a part of a severe lack of organization and not knowing where things are.   
Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 06:43:29 pm »
Anyone looking for nice looking organized stuff might go to the Container Store.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 08:09:29 am »
Anyone looking for nice looking organized stuff might go to the Container Store.

I laughed when I first saw that place.  A whole store dedicated to containers?  Seriously?

My wife is really curious about it.  She keeps saying she's gonna check it out.

I guess I'll go with her  :-\

rubinschmidt

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 07:30:40 am »
Those cheap clear plastic shoeboxes you get at WalMart or the Dollar Store work pretty good for organizing and storing brass, gun parts, even boxed loaded ammo. Just avoid really heavy stuff like boxes of bullets, and keep them away from sunlight. They are easily stackable two high, and I have them on the upper shelves keeping the bulky stuff organized and easily identifiable.