Username: Password:

Author Topic: What did you do last night? Oh just a little B&E.  (Read 240 times)

GTGallop

• KG7NDC
  • Sr. Contributor
What did you do last night? Oh just a little B&E.
« on: September 20, 2017, 12:05:01 am »
Got a call from the neighb's last night.  They were locked out.
All of the key-less deadbolts were on except the one in the garage and the remote wasn't working or the garage door opener was dead.  Who knows.
They were just back from the Hospital and not in the mood to play "Bob Villa Bingo" and trouble shoot.  Understandably, they wanted to crash.

Don't want to go into how we got in and violate their Op-Sec. But yeah... In a stupor, still half asleep, getting in quickly and quietly was no issue at all.  Didn't really have to flex the brain too much either.  The right tool, minimal force, a little finesse and the next thing you know we are in like Flynn.

Tomorrow when the sun comes up we'll be looking at doing a security audit.

Just a reminder, folks.  Modern houses are like Swiss-cheese for the untrained sleepy guy who works in a cube all day long.  Imagine how sweet their are to a burglar who knows the tricks of the trade.  Upgrade your shit or the rest of it will walk off one night.
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.

Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

LuckyLeaky

• Sr. Contributor
Re: What did you do last night? Oh just a little B&E.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:14:28 am »
When my buddy was in the hospital and no one knew I did my own personal welfare check..broke in within seconds.. No tools needed... we revamped his security he had and it is mich better now
I definitely think it's a good idea to try and break into your own house to see if it really is secure
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 09:13:07 am »
Yup.  Preferably before you have to or before somebody else decides it looks easy.  Thanks for the "heads up" though.   :thumbup   It's easy to get distracted by day to day stuff and forget the problem that's been staring you in the face for years. 
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 09:16:55 am »
After suffering from break-ins both here in Arizona and back in Colorado, I've found that it certainly helps to do as many security precautions as you can afford.  However, bottom line, all you need to do is more than what the majority of your neighbors do for security. 

Regardless of what you do its impossible to keep a determined thief out.  Its just too easy to get into modern homes although it helps to get the windows and doors more secure and increase lighting and visibility.  What you're aiming for is making enough precautions to entice the beginner and journeyman thieves to look down the road for easier pickings.

Its kind of like the old bear joke.  You don't have to run fast from the angry bear.  Just faster than your companion.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

patkelly4370

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 09:33:12 am »
Not just your home.
Ask yourself, "if I was going to attack me, where, when, and how would I do it? Do I look like an easy target?".
It gets them thinking (and losing the earbuds).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

armoredman

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »
Don't get me started on earbuds - had to drop off my lazy son at school for missing his bus. I'd say at least three students walked in front of my moving vehicle, all with earbuds in, not GLANCING my way to see if I was moving, and one was on the street in front of the school! The zombie apocalypse has arrived.
As for breaking into my own place - can't, don't own it, landlord might not like that. But we do every thing we can to make it less of a target.