Username: Password:

Author Topic: 22 Long Rifle  (Read 329 times)

Bucksnort

22 Long Rifle
« on: September 30, 2017, 01:48:30 pm »
I sure didn't need any more 22 long rifle ammo but I just couldn't resist buying 1,000 rounds of Winchester, 40 grain 22s at Walmart for $50.   

sabo

Re: 22 Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 03:12:16 pm »
I know the feeling, but lately I have had to look the other way when I pass the Ammo case.
Down the Rabbit Hole we go.

RSM

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 08:49:24 pm »
Never hurts to stock up...

Bucksnort

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 08:58:05 pm »
Sabo,  how long have you had this disorder?  There is help available for you. 

sabo

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 07:48:29 am »
over 50 years 
Down the Rabbit Hole we go.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:19 am »
I've been ignoring the return of 22 rimfire as well.  Since the long drought started I began to shoot 22 RF less and less over time.  So now its gotten to the point where I doubt I'll ever need to buy too much of it again.  I just guess you could say I just got out of the 22 RF habit.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:37 am »
Not me.  Too much fun.  Too useful for teaching new shooters.  Too useful for pest control.  Too useful for keeping sharp on the fundamentals without spending a bloody fortune.  Its a necessity for me.   :shrug   
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

Cato the Younger

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 07:38:48 pm »
I just picked up a Ruger Bearcat to feed; I've been wanting one for about two decades now, so I guess I'm still in the .22 market.

I'm only just getting low on what I had stocked before the great .22 shortage of the 2nd millennium, so I think I should be good. 

Steven

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 09:59:18 pm »
I've been ignoring the return of 22 rimfire as well.  Since the long drought started I began to shoot 22 RF less and less over time.  So now its gotten to the point where I doubt I'll ever need to buy too much of it again.  I just guess you could say I just got out of the 22 RF habit.

Me too. Though it seams that my time at the range has gone down all together. I remember going shooting with my uncle when I was growing up and we would each shoot a box of 550 Federal .22lr in a day. Haven't done that in a long time. Now if I go out I usually don't even shoot a whole box of 50 unless I am shooting in a match. I just bought a 525 round box of Federal and I figure it will last me a while.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 08:12:05 am »
Me too. Though it seams that my time at the range has gone down all together. I remember going shooting with my uncle when I was growing up and we would each shoot a box of 550 Federal .22lr in a day. Haven't done that in a long time. Now if I go out I usually don't even shoot a whole box of 50 unless I am shooting in a match. I just bought a 525 round box of Federal and I figure it will last me a while.

Yeah, lately the only time I shoot much 22RF is when the grand daughter comes down for a visit.  Then we'll usually burn through a brick.  Otherwise, because the 22RF ammo drought had continued on for so long, I just gravitated to using centerfire calibers for the things I used to do with the 22RF.

Its certainly more expensive to use 9mm for handguns and 223 for rifles.  However, for me practice and training is more valid with the centerfires and the expense isn't that bad if you shop well.  And I found a quality air rifle is a better solution for pest control than 22RF.
So I've reduced usage of the round to the point of getting rid of many of my 22RF guns even though there's sentimental favorites I'll keep along with some practical survival rimfires.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 08:18:08 am »
Really?   :blink   You've switched to airguns for varmint duty?   :hmm   I'd be interested in knowing what your set-up is, although that might be best done in another thread.   I know they are capable of serious accuracy when properly fed and maintained but most seem down on power compared to the .22 rimfires .    Last time I checked I could buy a target grade .22 rifle for about the same $$ as a target grade air rifle and the air rifle was a single shot affair.   The pellets are generally less expensive than loaded ammo but you have to buy what your gun shoots best and those might not be the bargain basement stuff.   
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 09:22:22 am »
Really?   :blink   You've switched to airguns for varmint duty?   :hmm   

Yeah really.  Actually, I recall you were one of the members here who gave me advice on using air rifles as a replacement for rimfire.  I had been researching air rifles a few years ago and had asked for advice on AZGO although I couldn't find the threads when I just searched.  And perhaps this portion of this thread should be broken off from the main thread but here's what I'm using for pests:

I wound up heading up to Airguns of Arizona in Gilbert and they had an older used German RWS Dianna in 22.  To that I added an older Japanese made Bushnell scope that's held up surprisingly well for being on an air gun.  I got an assortment of pellets from AofA when I bought the gun as air rifles seem to be as ammo sensitive as 22 rimfire guns for whats accurate.

Now I wouldn't use this rifle for larger varmints/long range (that's what my Savage 223 is for) but for around the house to keep the ground squirrels from overrunning my acreage it works great.

Thomas Jefferson

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 12:05:18 am »
 :thumbup   Yup.  I remember us talking about it a few years back but I didn't recall hearing you say anything about what you decided to do.  Don't get me wrong - I really like some of the airguns.  They are hard to beat in terms of 25-35 yard accuracy but if it gets any larger than a ground squirrel I'm reaching for a .22 LR or better.   AoA is a top notch store.  Very knowledgeable folks there and patient with noobs as well.    :thumbup

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:30 am »
:thumbup   Yup.  I remember us talking about it a few years back but I didn't recall hearing you say anything about what you decided to do.  Don't get me wrong - I really like some of the airguns.  They are hard to beat in terms of 25-35 yard accuracy but if it gets any larger than a ground squirrel I'm reaching for a .22 LR or better.   AoA is a top notch store.  Very knowledgeable folks there and patient with noobs as well.    :thumbup

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't ever count on a 22 pellet gun for any long ranges but it has served it purpose since I'm only on a small acreage.  My shots are usually 20 to 25 yards at best.  And the pellets won't knock a divot in the block wall like the 22 RF did if I'm shooting along the perimeter and miss.  Even though I was using the CCI Quiets or other low velocity 22RF rounds they could cause some damage if not careful.  So the air rifle is a bit safer to use as well. 
Thomas Jefferson

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 02:30:12 pm »
 :thumbup