Username: Password:

Author Topic: Arizona Schuetzenverein  (Read 1585 times)

Steven

Arizona Schuetzenverein
« on: October 08, 2017, 06:26:16 pm »
Just thought I would throw a shout out to a group I have been shooting with lately. Though I don't make it to as many matches as I would like. If you are interested in a slower pace shooting sport, check out Arizona Schuetzenverein. They are a great group of guys with some amazing knowledge about the sport. They conduct matches fairly frequently at Ben Avery and sometimes at Phoenix Rod and Gun. You will see some beautiful iron and wood at these matches.

https://www.facebook.com/Arizona-Schuetzenverein-1239014899450933/

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    Re: Arizona Schuetzenverein
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:38:07 pm »
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 07:42:50 pm »
    As someone who is of German descent and quasi fluent in German, I........  Well........  Uh........

OK - I had to look that one up.  If you are wondering, "Der Fick ist das?" then here's the wikipedia link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sch%C3%BCtzenverein

A Schützenverein (German for "marksmen's club") is in a local voluntary association found in German-speaking countries revolving around shooting as a sport, often target shooting to Olympic rules or with historic weapons. Although originating as a town militia, a Schützenverein has no military aspects and in many cases often has a more social than sporting purpose.

Schuetzenvereins were founded in the United States by German-Americans and acted as a social club for their communities. Each club had a range for target shooting and often also a bar.[2] Larger clubs could have extensive facilities such as an inn, dance hall, music pavilion, zoo, bowling alley, roller coaster, refreshment stands, athletic field, picnic grounds, and other amusements. It was common for tens of thousands of people to attend a major event.

The popularity of these facilities began to decline in America around 1917, when the anti-German sentiment from World War I restricted the activities of German-Americans and led to the prohibition of the use of the German language in public. Many businesses and organizations changed their German names or dissolved. The American Schützenvereine were dealt another serious blow in 1919 when the "Prohibition Act" outlawed the manufacture and sale of alcoholic beverages, the consumption of which was casually mixed with shooting activities.

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:09:23 am »
    So, we used to have lots of Schuetzenverein with rifle ranges, dance halls and beer gardens.   :hmm    We got rid of those and now we have the ATFE. 

What a bunch of retards.   :facepalm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 12:18:08 am »
    So, we used to have lots of Schuetzenverein with rifle ranges, dance halls and beer gardens.   :hmm    We got rid of those and now we have the ATFE. 

What a bunch of retards.   :facepalm
    Quoted for TRUTH!
    Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:21:40 am »
    Yes.

We have literally traded this:

For this:
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2019, 08:07:35 am »
    When I (partly) grew up in NJ and became a member afterward in the Marine Corps League, our Detachment Shooting Team would periodically meet up at Scheutzen Park to shoot handguns and hoist some brew afterward.

Designated drivers were mandatory in our team, that brew could twist up your noggin.

The firearms themselves were an entirely different thing, and complete works of art.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&q=schuetzen+rifle&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZzaO6tbXmAhVDop4KHV1lDUYQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1920&bih=944

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 08:39:00 am »
    Agreed.  The old black power cartridge rifles were and are a breed apart.  Even into the modern era that discipline maintains an air of gentlemanly good sportsmanship and camaraderie that is increasingly rare.  A neighbor was heavily into it before he passed a few years back and alas, I could not afford to buy one of his magnificent old rifles but they were works of art wrought in blued steel and walnut.  There are a few magazines devoted to it that chronicle the news and doings of that fraternity - Single Shot Journal and Black Powder Cartridge News come to mind.   Good stuff. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

rjinaz86323

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 08:05:16 am »
    If any one of you Schuetzenverein guys have use for a shortened Savage-Anschutz 10A stock I have one I will give you if you come to Chino Valley or Prescott to pick it up.  If I don't hear from anyone in the next week or so I am just going to throw it away.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement