Username: Password:

Author Topic: Awesome Sharpening System.  (Read 159 times)

TNFrank61

Awesome Sharpening System.
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:20:15 pm »
The Work Sharp Guided Sharpening System is my "go to" at work and now I've picked up one for home use. Totally love this system since it lets me sharpen my knives to a razor edge quickly and I didn't break the bank buying it either. Anyway, enjoy and I'll talk to ya' later.

GOA Member

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
- Ted Nugent

Steven

Re: Awesome Sharpening System.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:42:19 pm »
Nice system. My Uncle has a system he bought at a gun show some years back. It holds the knife by the back of the blade (edge sticking 90* straight up), and has a stone on each side mounted on rods. You can set any angle you want and just alternate with each hand. It will put a super sharp edge on a knife in no time. Unfortunately he only used it for a couple months, now it just collects dust and has crap piled on it.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:25:45 pm »
That would be the "Wicked Edge" sharpening system. www.wickededgeusa.com  Not bad, but it suffers a lot of the same shortcomings of most such systems.   I do like the clamping mechanism that allows the knife edge to be held vertically as it allows good visual inspection of the edge while sharpening without having to remove it from the clamp.  It also helps when redressing a knife tip that was broken or neglected. 

If its just sitting around gathering dust you might want to ask him if you could borrow it or buy it from him.  They are fun to play with - especially for smaller knives. 
"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Robert A. Heinlein ,  Friday

Steven

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 12:34:57 pm »
That would be the "Wicked Edge" sharpening system. www.wickededgeusa.com  Not bad, but it suffers a lot of the same shortcomings of most such systems.   I do like the clamping mechanism that allows the knife edge to be held vertically as it allows good visual inspection of the edge while sharpening without having to remove it from the clamp.  It also helps when redressing a knife tip that was broken or neglected. 

If its just sitting around gathering dust you might want to ask him if you could borrow it or buy it from him.  They are fun to play with - especially for smaller knives.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that. Not sure if he would be willing to sell it or not. It must have come up in price quite a bit since he bought his. I thought I remembered him only paying around $60-$80, but it's been so long I could be way off. Doubt he would have spent hundreds on it though.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 03:52:46 pm »
They were originally a pretty simple affair without a lot of bells and whistles.  They sold a few and the reviews began to come in with suggestions for improvements ( particularly in the original clamping mechanism ) which they responded to with a new and improved system.  Then they upgraded the mounting base and then the abrasive blocks.  Pretty soon even the basic model was creeping up on $200.00. 

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. A lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." 

Steven

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 05:10:09 pm »
Ok. I asked him today, he said he didn't want to sell it.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
  • eccentric orbit
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 08:40:38 pm »
Well, nothing ventured - nothing gained.   Sometimes you can find them used - just be careful that the clamping mechanism is one of the newer ones and the jaws aren't beat all to hell.   I honestly think you could make something similar in your garage over the week-end with too much trouble or expense.  Once you get the general idea the pieces are relatively easy to come by at Home Depot.   :hmm