Username: Password:

Author Topic: OT--gun safes and wood floors???  (Read 204 times)

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
OT--gun safes and wood floors???
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:58:48 pm »
Anyone have a house with hardwood floors that you moved a gun safe through it?  We're selling our acreage and downsizing to a smaller home and a house we're looking at has engineered hardwood floors.  Is it going to be too much of a chance of damaging the wood floors when moving  heavy safes over them as compared to the ceramic floors? 

For that matter-----how smart is it to have wood floors in Southern Arizona with the long periods of low humidity down here and with concrete slabs that move around?  Any help would be appreciated as I need to know by Friday and every house I've had has been tile so I have no clue.

"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

anm2_man

• Contributor
Re: OT--gun safes and wood floors???
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:50:24 pm »
Any Engineered hardwood floors if installed correctly, will be more reliable than any ceramic tile floor.  I do need a BUT.  If the tile floor was correctly installed and is totally level, it will hold up just as well.  Also if your EHF floor is installed over a wood substrate, then all bets will be off.  If its installed over the slab, it probably will see no damage moving a heavy object.  EHF have a thin foam under layment which helps to make the floor level.  Most Safe movers use small diameter pipes which distribute the load across many square feet.   You should have no problem with professional safe movers.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »
Thanks for that info.  I'm not sure how you can really determine if the hardwood floor has been installed correctly but I do know that, according to the owner, the floor was glued down to the slab foundation.  So I doubt any foam backing on it wasn't helping to level it since it was glued down.

I just know that people are always complaining about wood floors being susceptible to damage from everything like dropping heavy objects on it to fat chicks with high heels walking on it.  That's also why I'm a little less than enthused with the idea of wood floors.  You do bring up a good point, however, in that people who moves safes professionally likely will not allow the safe to exert too much pressure on the floors in any one spot. So that concern is likely a moot point.  I'm still not so sure engineered wood floors are a great choice in this part of Arizona for other reasons.
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

anm2_man

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 06:05:00 am »
OH - don't know how large the area your dealing with, but gluing them to the surface is not recommended.  Wood will expand and contract based on the level of humidity, thus it needs to be free to move.  We have our kitchen that has EHF and it floats on the wood substrate that it sits on.   The only place that was glued was the stairs leading to the kitchen.   Since the area is much smaller gluing them has not been an issue. 

My big downside is the extra maintenance that is required to keep the floors looking good.  Ceramic tile floors can be mopped easily and made to look clean.   EHF floors require sweeping and then require the use of a polish cleaner.  Extra tools, extra work.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 08:31:56 am »
Thanks again for that additional info. I really appreciate the feedback.

The house we were looking at had a lot of wood as the kitchen, dining, family room, den, pantry and two hall ways were in wood.  The only tile was the bathrooms and the laundry room with the bedrooms in carpet.  However, the more I check into this wood thing the more I think I'm just going to try to avoid it.

Some of the wood floors really look nice but as I've gotten older I've become more a fan of lower maintenance.  That's the whole purpose of my downsizing from an acreage with a large house to a smaller home in town in the first place.  Its all an effort to have more time to do things I'd like to do while I can still do them instead of spending a lot of time to keep a place up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:37:30 am by brandyspaw »
Thomas Jefferson

Martimus

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:10:34 am »
One of the things that has soured me on the idea of wood flooring is termites.  Termite infestation seems to be a serious problem in some parts of the state courtesy of those !@#$% subterranean wood chewers.  Does anyone know if the wood used in making hardwood flooring is treated to prevent infestation?
"If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body, then left-handed people must be the only ones in their right minds."  ~ W.C. Fields

Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:48:40 am »
I have moved heavy exhibit materials over all sorts of flooring all over the country with pallet jacks. We always arrived with enough sheets of 1/8 -1/4 mdf to cover our path. My company would be backcharged at certain venues if we did any damage and I am proud to say we never ruined a floor.

Can be had cheap at any homedepot or lowes. If you get two sheets and just keep picking one up and putting it in front  you should be good to go.

RetroG

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 11:03:20 am »
I've had safes moved over both surfaces while living in Florida with no problems using professional movers.  They should have a safe dolly and mdf or plastic sheets to distribute and protect the floors.

Where are you going to place the safe?  I had a similar type of floor in Florida and it trapped moisture between the slab and the bottom of the safe and rotted out the bamboo flooring (essentially the same as engineered wood floors) in between.  Fortunately I had some leftover flooring to replace the rotted sections, as I was planning to replace that section for the holes drilled to secure the safe.  You should have some airspace between the safe and the wood to prevent this, as the slab absorbs and wicks moisture.

Alex

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »
I've had safes moved over both surfaces while living in Florida with no problems using professional movers.  They should have a safe dolly and mdf or plastic sheets to distribute and protect the floors.

Where are you going to place the safe?  I had a similar type of floor in Florida and it trapped moisture between the slab and the bottom of the safe and rotted out the bamboo flooring (essentially the same as engineered wood floors) in between.  Fortunately I had some leftover flooring to replace the rotted sections, as I was planning to replace that section for the holes drilled to secure the safe.  You should have some airspace between the safe and the wood to prevent this, as the slab absorbs and wicks moisture.

I will never have enough firearms or other goodies to require a large standing safe but I would love to hear how you might distribute the weight if you want air underneath. There are at very least two types of people I love to hear from and they are engineers and machinist. They have a certain gift/sickness that intrigues the hell out of me. I have taken build instructions from both with awe.

I am thinking you want to distribute that weight over as large an area as you can so it doesn't damage the floor but then ... you are right .. I have a half ton of steel sitting flat on a floor and that floor underneath is going to get trashed. Wood floors need to live some and move around for years. 500 pounds of steel sitting on it flat will destroy that area.

Putting the weight on say .. corner pieces like1/8" 2x2 mdf squares will get you some air underneath but will put all the weight on the four corners which will certainly dent the floor depending on time.

Its one of the reasons I have always liked genuine wood flooring to engineered. Break out a sanding machine and you can gently remove inconsistency in a full on wood floor. The surface of engineered floor seems harder but there is little room for repair.

I thought maybe some semi permeable membrane or a honeycomb type substrate but .. that would probably mean all you had was a honeycomb mark on the floor when you moved the safe again. I am not an engineer so my knowledge of materials is limited to having to solve installation issues which were always short or long term temporary. Now I know there are a host of different engineering fields and I also know you mostly have the same analytical mind.

I am looking forward to hearing from Retro G but my gut says .. moisture and rot will spread from the compression area. Put a heavy safe over an area and the spread of black mold and rot will be far greater than the foot print of the safe. Were I making a commitment to the house, meaning I am not looking to sell it in five years, I might cut away the flooring where the safe will sit and mount the safe directly to the sub floor. You can trim around the opening so it looks thought out and even lay another substrate that is equal in thickness to the flooring so the safe looks like its on the same plane. Sintra, Cork .. whatever.

Later if you decide to sell the house its not incredibly difficult for a talented flooring guy to fill in that space with new flooring and make it go away.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:34:42 pm by Alex »

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »
Where are you going to place the safe?
You should have some airspace between the safe and the wood to prevent this, as the slab absorbs and wicks moisture.

I'm going be putting my safes in one of the bedrooms.  I actually had been planning on getting rid of them and wanted to harden and fortify a walk-in closet instead.  But thats too much work and modification to the new house if the one we buy doesn't have walk-ins.  It seems most of the smaller homes only have walk-in closets in the master so I've kind of shifted back to keeping the safes and just putting them in a spare bedroom.

However, I've now given up on wood flooring for a number of reasons.  It looks like gun safes can be moved over the wood floors without damaging them.  But I decided I don't want to deal with potential water issues in the kitchen, wood drying out and periods of high humidity in S. AZ and the concern of the slab wicking moisture into the wood.

Plus, I just don't want to deal with the additional care that wood may need.  So we dropped pursuing the house with the wood floors.  In the area we going to there's not many resale homes with the configuration we want so we decided to have something built.  There's more brain damage doing that but at least we get what we want. 

Thanks to everyone for the input
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:31:19 pm by brandyspaw »
Thomas Jefferson

DuneShoot

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 06:13:12 pm »
No issues on our wood floors (with padding under) moving safes.
I have a set of safe jacks, each have 3 wheels.

I could loan then to you if I can get them back from the current person who is borrowing them.

How soon are you looking to move it?

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:09:46 pm »
How soon are you looking to move it?

No idea on when.  Our old house is listed but no contract yet.  We started shopping for our next home and that's what started my wood questions since we found a house that met our needs but it had wood floors. 

Its now a moot point as we just signed a contract to build a new home instead. Of course, we'll soon have to decide on the flooring options at the design center.  However, wood won't be an option we'll be considering given the choice. 
Thomas Jefferson