Username: Password:

Author Topic: recipe please How much titegroup  (Read 1356 times)

Alex

• Contributor
recipe please How much titegroup
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:29 pm »
I am using Berry's plated RN 115gr. Took me a couple of hours to switch my press over to 9mm and make all the adjustments but it is spitting out rounds that are the perfect length.

Next up .. set powder. The Lee Die set chart calls out 3.9 gr of titegroup for a lead unplated bullet. It doesnt have a measurement using 115 gr plated on the chart. I have notes from somewhere that called out 4.3 but on the chart it is the outer most range for a 115 gr lead unplated bullet.

I am looking for target ammo that will perform comparable to WWB or Federal FMJ. Should I just go with the 3.9 gr with the berrys plated? I only plan on making a test batch to try out on monday before I make a couple hundred.
Thank you fellas
Alex

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Arizonagunsmith

Re: recipe please How much titegroup
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:33:10 pm »
    Alex, reloading is one of those things that you should err on the side of caution. Go with the 3.9 and see if the cases show any sign of over pressuring. If not go up to 4.1gr. and shoot again and if it still no signs go up to 4.3 gr. You will note that sometimes the loads will have different points of impact so you need to take that into consideration.

Jon

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:35:39 pm »
    Alex, reloading is one of those things that you should err on the side of caution. Go with the 3.9 and see if the cases show any sign of over pressuring. If not go up to 4.1gr. and shoot again and if it still no signs go up to 4.3 gr. You will note that sometimes the loads will have different points of impact so you need to take that into consideration.

Jon
    Thanks Jon .. sounds like good advice. I will load up 20 rds with 3.9 and give it a go.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:36:31 am »
    If your only shooting pistol, you probably can push the Berrys plated up to 4.2, but nothing more.  Velocities start going beyond what the plating can handle and it start shredding and accuracy goes to crap !  If your going to shoot it in a carbine I would recommend staying below 3.9. 

JMHO.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 01:20:34 pm »
    I am only doing handgun and loaded them at 3.9 grains with OAL of 1.15 with Berrys plated RN. I checked the powder measure drop about 15 times before I started running actual cartridges.

I found the Berry's 9mm shape a bit of a pain in the arse. It is very rounded on the bottom which makes preliminary seating a bit of a pain. I didnt have issue when I loaded .45. I thought maybe my flair wasn't deep or wide enough but when I opened up the flair I was getting a poor bullet fit. I am still using a flair a bit more than the suggested initial adjustment but anything more makes a sloppy bullet hold.

I am using a well loved Lee Pro that was generously gifted to me but the powder disks give you a finite range in powder. I loaded up 25 rds and will give them a whirl tomorrow before I make any adjustments. I understand the concepts of reloading but am struggling a little with the machine itself. Today the plate stopped rotating and hung me up but I now fully understand the setting up of the dies and their adjustments so that is a plus.

Thankfully once the turret plate is set up you can remove the whole thing and just check adjustment when you switch between calibers.

My buddy showed me on a single stage and to tell true .. I think I may have liked the process more. Still ... it is fun to make your own cartridges. Just had to bite the bullet on a $2000.00 car repair so I am a little bloodied but I may pick up a lee single stage at some point soon. I am not sure I am someone that would benefit from the automation of the pro but I already have lee dies for the calibers I use.

Still .. the machine works and I just have to learn how to work it.
    « Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:12:07 pm by Alex »

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 12:12:29 pm »
    My reloads all worked flawlessly! Hooray. I am a newbie so that is happy enough for me. I mixed up my reloads in the mags with some American Eagle and I could not feel a difference. Had my wife try it also with a mixed mag and she couldnt either. SO .. now I can go run off a hundred or so.   :-)

patkelly4370

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 05:50:37 pm »
    My oldest son (27) loaded his first reloads last week, .45acp. He feels that reloading is a waste of his gaming time. "I just buy my ammo". I explained that's fine, as long as there's ammo on the shelves.
    The next day we went to the range.
    Watching the trepidation on his face when he got ready to shoot them, then the grin afterwards was priceless.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Alex

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 10:19:36 am »
    I started my reloading adventure because of the election. It looked to me for a bit there that Hilary was in and I remember the Obama driven ammo shortage and it was awful. I literally had guns I couldnt shoot for lack of ammo at the retailers. I had plenty of SD stuff but no plinking goods.

I don't think I am saving a ton reloading 9mm but I have been reloading .45 as well which is cost effective. I do it now so I can be better at it .. in case things go south in the next election .. but I think I will still be buying 90% of my plinking ammo since it is readily available.

I dont want to start learning when I need the knowledge .. rather practice in small batches now and get better and more efficient. Did 100 rds this weekend which I know to some of you guys is like a drip in the bucket but for me was somewhat of an accomplishment.

Vector16

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:41 am »
    Its cost effective if you load hardcast bullets. Doing so will also require less powder.  I buy hardcast RN 115 from Falcon bullets, 1000 at a time.  I load 3.0 gr of titegroup and 3.2 for a little more umf.  9mm ammo is cheap to buy but then again reloading is not all about price. Its about tghe quality of the product that you are producing and what you want out of it.
    If your are always prepared for an emergency, it seems an emergency will never arise.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »
    I started my reloading adventure because of the election. It looked to me for a bit there that Hilary was in and I remember the Obama driven ammo shortage and it was awful. I literally had guns I couldnt shoot for lack of ammo at the retailers. I had plenty of SD stuff but no plinking goods.

I don't think I am saving a ton reloading 9mm but I have been reloading .45 as well which is cost effective. I do it now so I can be better at it .. in case things go south in the next election .. but I think I will still be buying 90% of my plinking ammo since it is readily available.

I dont want to start learning when I need the knowledge .. rather practice in small batches now and get better and more efficient. Did 100 rds this weekend which I know to some of you guys is like a drip in the bucket but for me was somewhat of an accomplishment.

Very well stated.  Today, re-loading 9mm is not cost effective.  But since you like me want to learn more, last week I reloaded right around 800 rounds of 9mm.  Why well 300 were with CFE Pistol, since I'm still experimenting with this powder.   My last test that I need to do is with my SUB GUN, and since just doing 10 rounds in a weapon that shoots 600RPM, just doesn't won't work.  I have tested both pistol and carbine 9mm (Semi-Auto) and I have a favorite load. The last is the SUB GUN to be tested.  The other 500 hundred were with proven loads using TiteGroup (have much powder).  Since the press was set up and all of the necessary (Brass + Powder + Primers + projectiles) were at hand,  Why not. 
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement