Username: Password:

Author Topic: Please educate me about suppressors for handguns  (Read 1660 times)

javaduke

Please educate me about suppressors for handguns
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:09:14 pm »
First of all, I apologize for a stupid question, but being a recent transplant from Kommiefornia, I know nothing about suppressors, never handled one, let alone shot a firearm equipped with one. So, like many others, I'm going to keep a loaded handgun on my nightstand, just in case some thug decides he or she has a business in my bedroom at the middle of the night. The thing is, when it comes to life or death situation, I can imagine how the first shot leaves me and my wife deaf for the rest of my lives and the muzzle flush blinds me, So, I figured, a suppressor would take care of both of those issues. But, like I said, I'm completely ignorant about suppressors, so what should I look for? Any particular design/brand/features? Pros and cons for self-serviceable vs sealed cans? Is there such thing as multi-caliber suppressor (so that I can, say, take it off my 9mm and put on a .22 pistol or rifle)? Also, I'd assume ammo should be subsonic, so can anyone recommend any 9mm subsonic loads still suitable for self-defense? 
I apologize for so many potentially stupid questions, but any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: Please educate me about suppressors for handguns
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:24:31 pm »
    First of all, I apologize for a stupid question, but being a recent transplant from Kommiefornia, I know nothing about suppressors, never handled one, let alone shot a firearm equipped with one.No such thing as  stupid question. Gaining knowledge benefits all of us So, like many others, I'm going to keep a loaded handgun on my nightstand, just in case some thug decides he or she has a business in my bedroom at the middle of the night. The thing is, when it comes to life or death situation, I can imagine how the first shot leaves me and my wife deaf for the rest of my livesAdrenaline spikes the blood pressure in the heat of the moment in a gunfight and tends to somewhat protect your ears from permanent damage, though they'll ring for a few hours to a few days and the muzzle flush blinds meA temporary condition, but potentially fatal in this situation, So, I figured, a suppressor would take care of both of those issues Yes it will. But, like I said, I'm completely ignorant about suppressors, so what should I look for? Any particular design/brand/features?If it's gonna live on your nightstand and occasionally see the range,
     but not be an EDC, Weight isn't an issue, so go for corrosion resistance and sound reduction
    Pros and cons for self-serviceable vs sealed cans? Sealed cans are generally less expensive. User serviceable isn't really a necessity unless it's used for .22 lr.
     Centerfire ammo is not nearly as dirty and those cans can be cleaned in an ultrasonic or dip bath
    Is there such thing as multi-caliber suppressor (so that I can, say, take it off my 9mm and put on a .22 pistol or rifle) Yes, in a way. You can run any pistol or rifle can on a .22 rifle or pistol. You should not run a pistol can on a centerfire rifle due to pressures. You are legally allowed to swap your cans around on your weapons on your whims. For a "do all" pistol can, buy one for the largest caliber you have and get thread adapters for the rest. Works the same for rifle cans. ? Also, I'd assume ammo should be subsonic, so can anyone recommend any 9mm subsonic loads still suitable for self-defense?Most 9mm you buy will be subsonic, or close to it, though you can purchase  Specific subsonic ammo as well (sportsmans warehouse usually has some on the shelves) Look at the package for the velocity. Suersonic here in the valley is, though varying by temp and humidity, around 1100-1200 fps., Though I've had 1350 fps ammo suppress well with no sonic crack.  Subsonic ammunition in any centerfire handgun caliber will be perfectly fine for home defense use, as your average max range in a house is 22 feet, and average personal defense shooting distance is about 7 feet (Figures from Massad Ayoob based on actual recorded defensive shootings) 
    I apologize for so many potentially stupid questions, but any info or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
       Hope this helps some
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

romad7

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:06:12 pm »
    When looking at a do all can, 9mm suppressors will usually be shorter and lighter than 45 suppressors. I pretty much only shoot 9mm so I went with 9mm suppressors which are borderline unwieldy already.

I don’t bother with subsonic because I want higher velocity for hollow points. The crack isn’t too bad especially for the few rounds fired in a typical self defense situation.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 12:00:31 am »
    Multi-caliber suppressors are available but tend to be pricey.  What you'll see more often are single caliber suppressors that the manufacturer says can be used with other calibers.  For example my bargain basement Gemtech GM-45 suppressor can be used with .45ACP, .40S&W, 9mm, and 10mm.

Some of the more knowledgeable folks can correct me but I believe most of the subsonic 9mm ammo is 147 grain.  A lot of the "Internet Gun Experts" on Youtube use Hush ammo.  I've personally haven't tried it yet.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/9mm-luger-147-gr-rn-hush-new.html

To be honest I look at my suppressors more as a hedge against some future regressive gun ban.  I don't get out into the desert often enough to get all that much use out of them.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 06:30:54 am »
    Just some things for you to think about.

Will the can only be used on pistols?

Will any of he pistols be an AR or AK.  Some suppressors are only rated with barrels greater than X length so an 8" or 10" AK/AR will blow your warranty and possibly your suppressor down range.

How much 22LR will you put through it.  22 is dirty so it should be serviceable to clean up lead from 22LR or like mine, I blow it out with some 5.56 while the can is still hot

Make a list of the specific firearms you think you will use it on and see if adapters are available for the threads or mounts on those guns.  Adapters can run up to $150 ea and you can buy a 22LR can for $200

I use a YHM Phantom on rifles with QD mounts.  I shout 22lr, 5.56, 6.8SPC II, 300 whisper, .243, 7.62 and soon 6.5 Creedmoor through it.  I can find the mounts for around $55 and they make Flash hider or muzzle break mounts.  It is rated down to a 10” barrel and is machine gun rated so I don’t worry about 100 round beta-mag dumps.  The volume of this larger suppressor quiets the smaller rounds as well as cans made specific for them. 

I could have easily have spent several thousand on multiple suppressors and multiple tax stamps to do what the YHM unit does.  If you think through what your usage will be you can save yourself some cash.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement