Username: Password:

Author Topic: 300 Blackout  (Read 1329 times)

Vector16

300 Blackout
« on: March 25, 2018, 08:41:33 am »
I have a question regarding primers for the 300 blackout.
Currently I am using H110 with CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers.  I can also use CCI 400 small rifle primers.  My question is, since I am using pistol powder typically used for magnum loads, can I use small pistol magnum primers?
If your are always prepared for an emergency, it seems an emergency will never arise.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: 300 Blackout
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:07 pm »
    I used regular primers when I had my blackout
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Vector16

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:38:42 pm »
    Did you use pistol primers?  I just have a lot of the small pistol magnum.
    I was using the Small rifle magnum cause I want the extra pressure to bake the 147FMJBT to still be super sonic and want the 168 JHPBT to still be around 1800 FPS.

I just really need to know about the Small pistol Magnum primers
    If your are always prepared for an emergency, it seems an emergency will never arise.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:00 pm »
    Try a few (as always, back off and work back up). The numbers won't be much different. Pistol vs rifle primers sometimes seat deeper/shallower in the pockets, and pistol primers are sometimes a bit thinner/softer material.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Vector16

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 05:07:05 pm »
    Okay and if it turns into a full auto cause of slam fire, so be it

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 09:24:03 pm »
    use small rifle primers
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

lesptr

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 04:51:49 am »
    When I first started loading 300BLK, the online resources were calling for small rifle primers. Somewhere along the way, Hodgdon’s online resource was changed to small rifle magnum primers. Since I have 2 AR’s in 30BLK, I went with Federal’s small rifle AR primer so that I would not have to worry about slam fires. Yeah, I bought a case, so I have about 4700 remaining. While that seems to work fine in the ar’s, I have many failures to fire when using my Remington 7, which I’ve been trying to use for load development.
    I had horrible luck with H110. No matter what I tried, I was unable to get groups less than 6 inches at 100 yards using 125gr Sierra match kings.  I talked to several people who also said they were not happy with their results using H110, and they recommended  IMR4227. I’m having better results, but I’m still not happy with the groups. Maybe I’m wanting more than a Remington 7 will deliver with 125’s. I get better results with cheap plinking grade 120gr Remington ammo.
    It’s been an exercise in frustration. At this point I’m pretty much ready to move on and just buy my ammo in this caliber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vector16

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 06:27:23 am »
    I get great results with H110, CCI 450 and Hornady 168 HPBT. I am using a 16" barrel with a 1:7 twist. It has a pistol length gas tube. 

I made 20 rounds with the Winchester small pistol magnum. I'll go next Saturday and give it a whirl.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 07:16:22 am »
    There are crucial differences in primers, and while ignition capability may be one of them, the really important aspect the thickness of the metal in the cup, and how well it can manage the pressures.

Pistol pressures are lower than rifle, and magnum pressures are higher that pistol or rifle pressures. Using pistol primers in a rifle cartridge is unwise for several reasons. The pressure capacity is one, but the pistol primer is also slightly taller and will usually not seat to the proper depth.

Rifle and pistol primers are the proper primers to use for non-magnum cartridges/loads because they are properly configured to handle the expected pressures.

Magnum primers are different product, and while they are suited for igniting longer powder columns, they are really appropriate because of their thicker cups, which handle the pressures better with those expected for a magnum.

Chasing additional performance by using the wrong primer is not advisable, and may not provide what you're looking for in the first place. I you want higher performance from a given cartridge, prime it appropriately, and adjust the powder charge to gain the necessary performance.

If the case will not accept the charge volume, switch propellant, or use a bigger case, or maybe reconsider that what you're trying to achieve may be questionable.

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

Vector16

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 09:28:53 am »
    If the case will not accept the charge volume, switch propellant, or use a bigger case, or maybe reconsider that what you're trying to achieve may be questionable.

Okay.  The IMR reloading data specifies a small rifle magnum primer.  Thats why I was curious about the pistol magnum. Its not cause I am chasing performance, its cause I was given 30K of them and only shoot 1 magnum gun. The 357 is about the size case as a BO just less powder.

thom

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 09:17:51 am »
    Great info to a beginner loader
    Thanks
    Thom
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement