Username: Password:

Author Topic: NFA Newbie  (Read 3800 times)

Mike-4

NFA Newbie
« on: April 18, 2018, 02:25:19 pm »
Hi - purchased a home in Gilbert last year and would like to get in the NFA game. I would like to permits for sbr's and suppressors via a trust. Couple of questions:

Who would you recommend to establish a trust?

After establishing a trust, what's my next step?

Thanks in advance.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

AlmightySheep

Re: NFA Newbie
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:12 pm »
    not to be a dick but
    id recommend going into a gunstore that deals with a good amount of NFA transfers and ask them about the process rather than an internet forum.  :shrug

that being said my dad created a trust using a template kinda deal from a lawyer that he bought. can't remember what it was though.
    "When there is mutual fear men think twice before they make aggression upon one another."
    -Hermocrates of Syracuse

Mike-4

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 04:10:12 pm »
    No offense taken.  Forgot to add I'd be looking for someone to help with a trust in Gilbert or nearby

JK357

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 04:14:20 pm »

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:55:02 pm »
    I’d check with pistol parlour...they do suppressors and such.. they might be able to help

DuneShoot

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:32 pm »
    I got a trust from NFA lawyers.com. This it was $100. Used it for a few items with no issues.

You can also get them from Silencer Shop for pretty cheap.
    Once you have a trust (from anyone) get set up in their system at one of their "powered by" dealers ( I use Chambered USA in Goodyear). Once set up it's TO easy to order.

Next step is to order a few cans, then wait.
    Form 1 an AR lower and once approved get it engraved with your trust name and put a short barrel on it.

It really is easy once you do one. The wait is what really sucks!

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 07:01:59 am »
    Just got a form 1 back last week.  Done on a trust, submitted 9/22/2017, so yeah you have to wait about 8 months right now.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

DuneShoot

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 07:02:17 am »
    There is always a wait with NFA items unless you have the proper FFL license.

There are a few advantages to a trust but the main one is to allow people on the trust to have access to the NFA item without you being present. If you want to loan it to a friend simply fill out and sign a form and add it to the trust naming them in the trust.
    Also makes it easier to decide where the NFA items go when you pass away.

Some people have said it's illegal if you bought the NFA item as an individual and your wife has the combo to the safe. They claim that she has access to the NFA item when you are not present. Dunno how true that is.

When I started my trust before the law/rules changed a couple years ago the advantage of a trust was you didn't have to get finger printed and didn't have to get CLEO (chief law enforcement officer/sheriff) signature/approval.

With the law change buying as an individual or on a trust needs finger prints and the CLEO is just notified of the purchase. The downside is everyone on teh trust needs to submit this info.

Buying an NFA item using the silencer shop kiosk makes it easy. Get set-up once in their system, can do finger prints on the kiosk, send them your trust, take a passport style photo with their app, and they take it from there. They send the form 1 or 4 to the ATF as well as notification to your CLEO. Again everyone on the trust needs to do this once. So if your brother who lives in Montana is named in your trust he will need to do the finger prints etc.

You can also do your own finger prints of finger print cards and send in all the paperwork yourself. Saves you $5 vrs using the SS kiosk.

DuneShoot

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 07:05:33 am »
    Just got a form 1 back last week.  Done on a trust, submitted 9/22/2017, so yeah you have to wait about 8 months right now.

Wait times are dropping. I picked up a suppressor a few months ago that was almost a year wait. Have a few more I'm waiting on now :(

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 09:39:32 am »
    I'm kind of in the "no trust" camp.  With the law changes (mentioned above), the benefit really isn't as great as it once was. Trusts were once a clever way to make an end run around CLEO sign-off.  But now that you don't need that, I just don't see the benefit of a dedicated gun trust.  And I've gotten NFA paperwork back in half time time that others have who have trusts.

If you have legit family planning concerns beyond guns and the like, absolutely do a family trust!  It's a fantastic legal tool to avoid probate, among other things.  But a dedicated trust just for guns/NFA items?  Meh.  These things aren't family heirlooms.  People treat them like they're made of platinum and they just aren't.

(This of course assumes we're talking about your basic new-manufacture suppressors and/or run-of-the-mill SBRs and the like.  If what you actually mean is a $40,000 antique machine gun or something, yeah maybe it is a family heirloom.  Act accordingly.)

-T.

Mike-4

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 10:23:34 am »
    So much good info, thanks again guys.

1969gto

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 11:06:27 am »
    Bruce Stevens he owns Mr Silencer can help. 4807885759 he is a good friend. Tell him I sent you. He is up to date on everything.
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:08:28 am by 1969gto »

BlazingSaddle

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 03:35:04 pm »
    I went the Silencer Shop route and recommend it. I had been dragging my feet for years just because it was a little intimidating navigating all of the false info out there. It was a nice one-stop-shop that customer service made extremely easy. I’ve got no regrets and would do it the same way again if I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GringoLoco

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2018, 08:51:43 pm »
    I also recommend Silencer Shop!  They really made the whole process simple.  I didn’t have to drive downtown and deal with MCSO and they basically took care of everything!  Just had to drive to shooters world to do the fingerprints.

Psybain

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:57 pm »
    Lots of good info thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 11:13:14 am »
    Thank you guys, great info!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bravoalphafirearms

• bravoalphafirearms
    « Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 01:00:18 pm »
    Trent at AZ Gun Law can help you out.
    Bravo Alpha Firearms
    Gilbert Az
    Don - 480-225-9299

delta6

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 02:12:06 pm »

If you have legit family planning concerns beyond guns and the like, absolutely do a family trust!  It's a fantastic legal tool to avoid probate, among other things.  But a dedicated trust just for guns/NFA items?  Meh.  These things aren't family heirlooms.  People treat them like they're made of platinum and they just aren't.
    -T.

Family planning issues can be concerning, but NFA items rarely show up, especially if a spouse survives the owners death. All NFA items on a non-trust form 4, transfer tax free to the closest next of kin and that person can defer the item transferred to anyone in the familial chain tax free. I once assisted in a transfer of a Thompson to a 3rd cousin tax free.
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon....

pscipio03

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:20:03 am »
    Not to awaken a necro-post, but I've got about 10 or so stamps- 8 on trust, 2 individual.
    Once 41F was enacted, I just didn't see the benefit of going through either: 1. Having each member on the trust get fingerprinted; or, 2. Removing each member; running the SBR through the system, then adding them back on after getting the stamp.
    So, back in late Dec I put two new builds into the NFA jail-time as an individual instead of trust for the first time.
    I got both my stamps back in less than 1.5 months. I can see on NFA tracker where trusts are taking 7+ months. I would have had them back in probably 3 to 4 weeks except the gov't shutdown meant they were only looking at Class III shops, not individual/trust stamp requests.
    So bottom line, if you're looking to add a fun toy to your list- I'd recommend the individual route. Fingerprints are mandatory and you no longer need CLEO clearance- it invalidated the convenience of the trust. 

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 06:24:26 am »
    Not to awaken a necro-post, but I've got about 10 or so stamps- 8 on trust, 2 individual.
    Once 41F was enacted, I just didn't see the benefit of going through either: 1. Having each member on the trust get fingerprinted; or, 2. Removing each member; running the SBR through the system, then adding them back on after getting the stamp.
    So, back in late Dec I put two new builds into the NFA jail-time as an individual instead of trust for the first time.
    I got both my stamps back in less than 1.5 months. I can see on NFA tracker where trusts are taking 7+ months. I would have had them back in probably 3 to 4 weeks except the gov't shutdown meant they were only looking at Class III shops, not individual/trust stamp requests.
    So bottom line, if you're looking to add a fun toy to your list- I'd recommend the individual route. Fingerprints are mandatory and you no longer need CLEO clearance- it invalidated the convenience of the trust.

Exactly  :thumbup
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement