Username: Password:

Author Topic: What's your go-to low recoil semi 12 gauge?  (Read 3977 times)

patkelly4370

Re: What's your go-to low recoil semi 12 gauge?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2019, 01:43:51 am »
Mossberg 500. I don't mind recoil.
My H&R single-shot 20g kicks just as hard because it's so light.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

markopolo50

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 09:24:00 am »
    Beretta A 400

CMore

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 09:01:37 pm »
    Benelli M-2
    K1CJM

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #28 on: October 28, 2020, 05:28:23 am »
    I've only shot Remington 870s, Mossberg 500s, Winchester 1300s, and some ancient double barrel.  None of them had any mitigation for recoil.  But someone on this forum gave me some advice.  I think it was 870PoliceMag IIRC.  After I shot some 3" high brass 00-Buck 15 Pellet and complained that I felt like I was in a car wreck, he told me big guys (and I'm one) tend to square up and try and dominate or control the shotgun, and as a result they take more punishment from the 12 gauge.  But little tiny women that aren't even 5 feet tall and barely weigh 90 pounds can handle magnum loads with ease because they let their body roll with it.  So instead of squaring up and taking all of the recoil in the shoulder and fighting it, be a little more loose and limber, let the recoil wash over you and roll with it.  In other words taking all of that recoil where the stock meets shoulder can be tough, but if you relax and let it give a little then you have your back and even hips / pelvis to rock with the recoil.  Just don't lose control of the gun.

Since then all shotguns have been low recoil shotguns.  Now I'm sure I'd notice a Benelli M-2 as being much softer even than an 870/500, but the advice of rolling with it has made all shotguns much easier and enjoyable to shoot.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 01:15:06 pm »
    Yup.  Target shooting at the range is the worst.  If you are trying to pattern test the gun you tend to lock it in like a rifle and they will pound you senseless in that type of scenario.  Fortunately it only takes a few shots to accomplish most of the time.  Field shooting is almost always standing, unsupported and frequently the gun is swinging on a bird and the  lock it in and square it up method is useless in that type of shooting and thus the recoil is not felt so sharply. 

Gas guns will always shoot a little softer and double guns add sufficient weight that the inertia slows down the recoil impulse.  I guess the worst kicker is a single barrel, break action gun in a heavy gauge like a 12 or a 10.  The have lighter weight and no mechanism to absorb any of the recoil energy other than a recoil pad at the end of the stock.   My family heirloom H&R Topper in 16 gauge will slap you silly with a heavy load if you are even slightly off balance.  Nice gun to carry though.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #30 on: October 28, 2020, 04:57:22 pm »
    Langdon Tactical modified Beretta 1301

And for Home Defense, an old LE Trade-in Beretta 1201FP that I, er, modified to fit a Benelli pistol grip stock.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:59:35 pm by Marx-ism's »
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

CMore

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2020, 05:38:37 pm »
    I've only shot Remington 870s, Mossberg 500s, Winchester 1300s, and some ancient double barrel.  None of them had any mitigation for recoil.  But someone on this forum gave me some advice.  I think it was 870PoliceMag IIRC.  After I shot some 3" high brass 00-Buck 15 Pellet and complained that I felt like I was in a car wreck, he told me big guys (and I'm one) tend to square up and try and dominate or control the shotgun, and as a result they take more punishment from the 12 gauge.  But little tiny women that aren't even 5 feet tall and barely weigh 90 pounds can handle magnum loads with ease because they let their body roll with it.  So instead of squaring up and taking all of the recoil in the shoulder and fighting it, be a little more loose and limber, let the recoil wash over you and roll with it.  In other words taking all of that recoil where the stock meets shoulder can be tough, but if you relax and let it give a little then you have your back and even hips / pelvis to rock with the recoil.  Just don't lose control of the gun.

Since then all shotguns have been low recoil shotguns.  Now I'm sure I'd notice a Benelli M-2 as being much softer even than an 870/500, but the advice of rolling with it has made all shotguns much easier and enjoyable to shoot.

I will have to try this..  Maybe I will start liking my Winchester model 12 Featherweight 12 ga. with a hard plastic butt plate that I grew up with since 12 years old better...  I have always hated pulling the trigger on that gun even when it was the only gun I owned... 
    K1CJM

Spartan301

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2020, 01:58:48 pm »
    U.S. Army/Sgt./67N (Aviation/1st CAV DIV, FT. HOOD/2nd INF DIV, S. KOREA/NTC FLT DET, FT. IRWIN)
    Veteran '81-'86
    NRA Lifetime Member, AZCDL Member,
    USCCA Member,
    Front Sight FTI First Family "Ambassador" Member

gaura99

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2020, 10:13:30 am »
     :I got this Turkish arms tactical one for cheap, a couple hundred bucks recoil ain't too bad

Bayonet

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 07:18:01 pm »
    I recently picked up a Citadel 12 gauge semi-auto. I was looking for a budget, entry level shotgun and really like this model. Shotguns were outside my area of interest for a while but they're becoming more appealing to me  :-)

Icarus1569

« Reply #35 on: Today at 05:38:04 pm »
    I recently picked up a Citadel 12 gauge semi-auto. I was looking for a budget, entry level shotgun and really like this model. Shotguns were outside my area of interest for a while but they're becoming more appealing to me  :-)

Have been looking at a semi 12 and saw that model and looked nice. How do you like it?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement