Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mauser 98 in .308 with Israeli marks  (Read 3435 times)

washeriff

Mauser 98 in .308 with Israeli marks
« on: June 27, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »
The story is the U.S. acquired a huge number of Mausers from the Germans after WWII.  (Figures.)  A large lot of them were sold (or turned over) to the newly formed nation of Israel in 1947, and the Israelis converted them to .308.  At some point, a number of them began to flow back into the U.S.  I have one.  It looks -- to my inexpert eye -- to be in somewhere between 'good' and 'very good' condition, and not only has Israeli marks, but a prominent '7.62' stamped in the back of the receiver.  Also have the original German bayonet.  Question: does anyone know what this pair is worth?  You know, approximately...

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

6.5 Gunner

Re: Mauser 98 in .308 with Israeli marks
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:57:01 pm »
    Pictures are worth a thousand words. That being said they are quite common and have little collector value, historically neat but never bring a premium. ALL are mismatched and usually have replacement stocks.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 02:55:10 am »
    Oddly enough, I always wanted one, never could afford one, neat history. Photos would be nice, sir, thank you for sharing.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 07:10:44 am »
    We need a picture.
    "Does your dog bite"?   Grrrrrr
    "He is not my dog"!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 03:52:24 pm »
    Pictures are worth a thousand words. That being said they are quite common and have little collector value, historically neat but never bring a premium. ALL are mismatched and usually have replacement stocks.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk
    Yes, pics are preferred over even detailed descriptions.  That said, they may be, "quite common and have little collector value, historically neat but never bring a premium." but I'm damned if I can ever find one of them for sale anywhere.   :hmm   I can find just about everything else in the way of Mauser rifles but almost never an Israeli marked 98K in 7.62 NATO.  If you have an idea where they are keeping these truckloads of old Israeli Mauser conversions please enlighten us.

And for the record, I would estimate the pair at roughly $500-$600 based on the description only - but again, I have not seen any for sale so that may be off the mark.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

RJ

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 03:58:12 pm »
    as an avid collector of this platform, i have never come across one in a few dozen or two years, while i can say i had not specifically looked for this marked unit, if i had come across one, it would have been a sure thing i would have purchased, since it would have been an oddly marked unit, so, as noted above, where is the truck loads of them
    Rj

6.5 Gunner

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:58:22 pm »
    as an avid collector of this platform, i have never come across one in a few dozen or two years, while i can say i had not specifically looked for this marked unit, if i had come across one, it would have been a sure thing i would have purchased, since it would have been an oddly marked unit, so, as noted above, where is the truck loads of them
    Rj

Right next to the truck loads of mosin-nagants. We all know there are a metric f-ton of them in the country, but does your local shop have them by the crate for 80 a pop? I would guess not. Just because they aren't oozing out of every gunshop across the nation doesn't mean the are worth their weight in gold. FWIW here is a pic of a C&R buyers guide for Israeli mausers. Im out  :imout

hikingwithguns

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:39:15 pm »
    Yes pictures please
    “Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.” Joe Biden

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 10:18:53 pm »
    Right next to the truck loads of mosin-nagants. We all know there are a metric f-ton of them in the country, but does your local shop have them by the crate for 80 a pop? I would guess not. Just because they aren't oozing out of every gunshop across the nation doesn't mean the are worth their weight in gold. FWIW here is a pic of a C&R buyers guide for Israeli mausers. Im out  :imout
    So, I'm guessing he doesn't know where they are either.   :yes   I can find lots of pictures of rifles in all sorts of books but finding an actual rifle like the one in the pictures seems a bit more of a challenge.  For the record, I have seen exactly two Israeli marked Mauser 98K's in my travels around the state in the last decade or so wandering through gun shops and gun shows and even the occasional private collection.  The two I saw were in a private collection and not for sale.  I have never seen a "crate" of them anywhere.  Mosin-Nagant rifles - yes.  Israeli marked Mausers - no.   I would be happy to buy the entire stock of "excellent condition" Israeli Mausers at $350.00 a pop from the good folks at C&R Buyer's guide but I'd bet what's left of my reputation that when I call them about it tomorrow they won't have any either.   :coffee
    « Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:21:57 pm by coelacanth »
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

needsmostuff

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 07:56:20 am »
    Going back about 15 years (Don't ya hate these stories :whistle) when I had  C&R I would get the flyers from the importers they did SEEM abundent . Seems like Samco was a constant source and Century / Sog  sometimes listed them , but ,,,,,, Samco bellied up and liquidated. May be they were not abundant, maybe they just took forever to sell ! :thumbup
    Now my rememberer (like most of the rest of me ) doesn't work real well but this is what's floating around in my mostly vacant head.
    Seem's like Israelis got guns wherever they could and Samco had a couple of grades available based on guns origin and model # including barreled actions. Germans were available but many were Spanish in both model 95 and 98 and they were mostly the ones that had the questionable reputation. Like always you paid more for matching bolts but it really meant little as they had been rebarreled. And like always buyers were cautioned to have the gun and the headspace checked before shooting. Seem's like the internet wisdom at the time suggested reloading on the milder side. Not a great reputation but I never actually /personally saw any failures .
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:58:50 am by needsmostuff »

washeriff

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 02:54:13 pm »
    My thanks to all who responded to my post.  I learned some stuff.  For all those who said 'a pic is worth a thousand words,' I took one.  Have a look.  And thanks again, guys.

needsmostuff

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 08:01:44 am »
    That looks way nicer than the Spanish 98/95s I remember seeing . I'd be proud of that one.
    I'm betting that bayonet (find a frog for it now if you still can ) is worth a $100 by itself.

hairygreek

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 09:43:11 am »
    Prices are getting stupid on a lot of things...

I would guess around $400-450 for rifle.  Bayonet is not German used, they didn't use the lockring, so it could be different nation's.  That will make value different but it looks like a nice build from here.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 09:51:15 am »
    That is a decent looking old Mauser and the bayonet doesn't appear to be trashed either.  :thumbup  Barring a closer inspection and/or evidence of a similar rifle-bayonet combo for sale or recently sold, I'll stick with my previous assessment of the approximate value. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

washeriff

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 05:51:15 pm »
    I was thinking of trying to trade it.  Maybe for a Marlin lever action .30-30.  Wonder what the chances of that are...  :coffee

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 06:36:59 pm »
    Depends on what you find and where you find it I guess.  Run it up the flagpole in the "for sale" section and see if anybody salutes it.  Marlin 30-30's are fairly common guns and a lot of gun shops will have one or more.  Whether they will arrange a trade for your Mauser is anybody's guess but you don't know until you try. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

RJ

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 07:50:50 pm »
    I was thinking of trying to trade it.  Maybe for a Marlin lever action .30-30.  Wonder what the chances of that are...  :coffee

I';ll look thru the lever action rack and see if there is a spare marlin, hard to say been trading and selling off, but will be at shop tomorrow, where i keep'm
    Rj

revlimit

• Phoenix
    « Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
    JG is selling old Yugos for $450

rubinschmidt

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 01:09:19 pm »
    Not knowing any more about your Mauser, I would say it's worth maybe half of what a Marlin 30-30 in decent condition would bring. If you think about it, that's not really too bad. When these converted Mausers were hitting the US shores 25 or so years ago they getting less than half the price of the Marlin.

Joe Kidd

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 09:23:20 pm »
    I bought a .308 “Israeli” Mauser about twenty years ago for $150. The rifle was in fair to good condition, and dusty. The side of the receiver had Herstal Belgium markings with Israeli stampings on top of the receiver as well as a 7.62 stamping. The underside of the .308 barrel near the receiver was stamped 7.62, some proof marks, and 1957. I’m assuming that’s when the new barrel was made and the original 7.92 barrel was replaced. I had the metal parts reblued and the beech wood stock changed out for a new one.
    U.S. Army, 4th ID
    Retired Firefighter
    NRA Life Member

Spartan301

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2019, 09:00:56 am »
    I always wanted one of these. More for the history factor.

If they could just tell the stories of the battles they have been through.

Hopefully I can find one at a reasonable price.
    U.S. Army/Sgt./67N (Aviation/1st CAV DIV, FT. HOOD/2nd INF DIV, S. KOREA/NTC FLT DET, FT. IRWIN)
    Veteran '81-'86
    NRA Lifetime Member, AZCDL Member,
    USCCA Member,
    Front Sight FTI First Family "Ambassador" Member

MyMalteseFalcon

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 12:11:58 am »
    I have several K98's chambered in the original 8mm. But I never knew this story re them being converted to .308 by the Israelis. Never even heard of this story.... Seem's what you have is a definite keeper in my opinion. Actually, I would think something like this would be worth more then just about the going rate for K98's. It's a real nice wall hanger & that's what I'd do with it. Very nice indeed.... Thanks for sharing!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement