Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where do folks around here like to get their supplies?  (Read 3619 times)

SnowinOnRaton

Where do folks around here like to get their supplies?
« on: September 24, 2018, 11:34:11 pm »
Hi,
I’m just getting into reloading and I’m wondering where folks here are shopping for supplies. I’m hoping there’s some good places local (I’m in Cave Creek). I’m guessing buying powder local would be best to avoid hazmat fees? I’ve got a decent pile of brass saved so I’m mostly lookin’ for powder, bullets, and primers. Only planning to load 9mm and .223 at first. Any advice is appreciated.

Thx!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

straightshooter1

Re: Where do folks around here like to get their supplies?
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:38:00 pm »
    Check out Bruno's Shooting Supply.   They often have good pricing on their reloading stuff. . . like powders.

Sent from Tapatalk

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:08:10 am »
    Agreed. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

daboone

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 06:53:52 am »
    Another vote for Bruno's. They are knowledgeable and are not arrogant.   

GoodGuyWithAGun

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 08:17:32 am »
    Check out Bruno's Shooting Supply.   They often have good pricing on their reloading stuff. . . like powders.

Sent from Tapatalk

Never heard of them before.   Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I've Fallen and I Can't Reach My Glock!

SnowinOnRaton

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 10:04:14 am »
    Thanks everybody, I appreciate the tip. I’ll be heading to Bruno’s this week to check it out.  :thumbup
    « Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:07:21 am by SnowinOnRaton »

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 02:08:56 pm »
    Bruno's is not bad.   "linky poo = http://www.brunoshooters.com/".  Their online inventory is pretty accurate.  This way you won't make unnecessary trips.  Some of the local small gun stores IE: Randel's in Glendale has some selection.  Beyond that you have Sportsman's (Several Stores around the valley), Carbela's (Glendale AZ).  That's about it locally.   

Oh forgot about Howie (UNAMMO) - (Glendale AZ), carries some reloading supplies, but not all of the time.
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

SnowinOnRaton

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 08:52:38 pm »
    Bruno's is not bad.   "linky poo = http://www.brunoshooters.com/".  Their online inventory is pretty accurate.  This way you won't make unnecessary trips.  Some of the local small gun stores IE: Randel's in Glendale has some selection.  Beyond that you have Sportsman's (Several Stores around the valley), Carbela's (Glendale AZ).  That's about it locally.   

Oh forgot about Howie (UNAMMO) - (Glendale AZ), carries some reloading supplies, but not all of the time.

Thanks for this info. I’m in Glendale twice a week for work so I’ll check out Randel’s for sure.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 07:46:38 am »
    Several times this year I have bought powder, both Internet (Midway, Brownell) and Local (CAL Ranch, Trail Boss, both in Sierra Vista). I start my trips from Pearce, in SE Cochise County.

Primers and projectiles are bought online, since most of my bullets are match style and seldom available locally. Primers are best bought in bulk, and that favors internet purchasing in my particular situation.

The locals will factor shipping and hazmat into the shelf price. This, in turn, makes Midway more affordable for me. Two pounds of IMR-4064 comes to $40.00 per pound (same price from Midway and Brownell's, all fees and shipping included), where prices at CAL and TB can be as high as $43.00 per pound, and add to that the trip (72mi, 1hr 12min, each way) to find out they don't have it (and yes, we've done some calling ahead). The variance is even higher for primers, as long as I wait for sales specials.

As much as I have a significant interest in keeping my business and money in the hands of local vendors, the economics (just barely) don't support that, and the difference in time invested is night and day; 5 minutes (at most) on the net to Midway vs 2 1/2 to 3hrs in person.

I hadn't really made any judgement until I responded to this topic. But I'm going with Midway, etc., until brick and mortar vendors open up closer to me with better rates.

I load several calibers,and also shoot 9mm, with the emphasis leaning more toward suitability and self reliance, as opposed to cost.

But for 9mm, purchasing would be the preferred approach. I use inexpensive 115gr Ball ammo (Independence aluminum case) for the grand majority of my shooting (practice mainly), and I'd rather use Federal Premium Hydra-Shok as my defensive/carry round, rather than building my own. I do, however, have a full capacity and good components set aside for 9mm should supplies dry up for any reason, but right now, handloading 9mm makes less economical and time expenditure sense. If I had the Dillon 650, that might change, but with the 550, I just don't load handgun ammo anymore.

For 223, my emphasis is on accuracy, but current pricing being what it is, my meager stock of ammunition includes a fair amount of 75gr and 50gr handloads, as well as IMI 77, and Hornady 75gr Steel Match (for applications where picking up fired brass could be impractical).

For .260, .308, and .30-06, the 260 is strictly handloads, the .308 is about an even balance between 168gr handloads, IMI150gr, and IMI 168Gr. The .30-06 is all 150-155gr and 168gr handloads configured for use in Garand(s) with nearly the entire supply loaded in En-Bloc clips, ready for immediate application. I have found that my 168gr 30-06 Garand Match loads shoot exquisitely in my 22" Axis II Sporter, and that substituting 165gr Game Kings for the 168 allows identical accuracy with about a 3" POI shift at 200yd.

Greg
    « Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 08:21:38 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 09:27:18 am »
    Good stuff Greg.  Thanks for sharing.   :thumbup
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 02:00:20 pm »
    However for our new Creeker, its a long ride to Sierra Vista  :hmm
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

SnowinOnRaton

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 02:25:34 pm »
    However for our new Creeker, its a long ride to Sierra Vista  :hmm

This is true!  ;-D

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 06:18:49 am »
    I forgot to add one other source.   At many of the crossroads of the west gun shows, Minwall attends selling their ammunition products.  But most of the time they also have primers & powder at reasonable prices.  They also have bulk pricing on these. 

cpa22

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 04:15:37 pm »
    I get most of mine through midway usa

SnowinOnRaton

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 08:47:02 pm »
    I forgot to add one other source.   At many of the crossroads of the west gun shows, Minwall attends selling their ammunition products.  But most of the time they also have primers & powder at reasonable prices.  They also have bulk pricing on these.

I think you meant Miwall and it looks like I just missed them. They were here earlier this month in Phoenix. I’ll try and keep an eye for them in the future. Thx for the tip!

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 03:24:41 am »
    Brunos has a bunch of stuff, but sometimes they don't have everything - found Accurate Arms powder at Guns Etc when Brunos was out. Still a great place for stuff, great selection.

rubinschmidt

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 12:29:49 pm »
    I like Bruno's too, But it's a long drive for me and I need to have other reasons to be driving in that direction. I think their powder and primer prices are quite fair for a stocking retailer.

I also like to stop in at AJI and rummage through the traded in stuff. I've found some real bargains there, but it's completely hit or miss.

Sportsman's Warehouse used to be a favorite, but prices have gone up too much for me.

Here are my evaluations of some on-line retailers I have used in the past on multiple occasions

Midway - Great service but almost invariably I can find everything cheaper somewhere else.
    Natchez Shooters Supply - Great pricing on many things but expensive shipping. Watch for free shipping deals.
    MidSouth Shooters Supply - Generally  good pricing and some good deals. Currently on my S*** List for cancelling an acknowledged order on an in-stock item and then doubling the price.
    Widener's - Used to have good deals on surplus powders but they quit doing that.
    Brownell's - Very retail friendly now. Regular prices are a little high but they have good specials and lots of parts and tools that are hard to find. The tools are high quality but mighty expensive for a hobbyist and many can be found for a lot less at industrial supply houses.
    GIBrass - Great deals on surplus powders, but not a wide selection anymore. If you need some SLOOOOOW 20mm cannon powder he always has that for cheap but also some good powders for 223R and 308W size cartridges
    Grafs - A good place to hunt for obscure milsurp brass and bullets. Once in a blue moon they have a special on something I want

SnowinOnRaton

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 07:52:15 pm »
    Thx guys. Lots of good info for powder and supplies in general. I really appreciate it.

Any recommendations on sources for 115gr RN bullets? Looking to balance affordability with reasonable performance. I shoot a lot of Win whitebox, and Magtech 115gr fmj-rn. Looking to make bulk practice ammo comparable to this stuff I guess. Is plated a good way to go or not really any notable savings there? Who has the best deals? Any great Black Friday deals I should hold out for?

Curmudgeon

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »
    Bruno's  :thumbup

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 03:40:15 pm »
    Thx guys. Lots of good info for powder and supplies in general. I really appreciate it.

Any recommendations on sources for 115gr RN bullets? Looking to balance affordability with reasonable performance. I shoot a lot of Win whitebox, and Magtech 115gr fmj-rn. Looking to make bulk practice ammo comparable to this stuff I guess. Is plated a good way to go or not really any notable savings there? Who has the best deals? Any great Black Friday deals I should hold out for?

I have always use Berrys plated over the years, but I found RMR (Rocky Mtn Reloading), and for $2.00 more for a batch of 250, they have jacketed round nose.  I'm trying them out right now.   The only issue with Plated, you have keep them sub-sonic, or the plating will peel and depending on your crimp, re-using them is problem matic since any crimp will leave a mark all around on the projectile.  Other than these couple of issues, I've shot at least 25k thru my subgun, and another 5k thru standard hand guns over the years.  Never had a problem.   :coffee

SnowinOnRaton

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2018, 05:01:51 pm »
    Just wanted to say thx again to everyone. I placed an order with RMR for 1000 RN jacketed. Almost went with Everglades but having joined TheHighRoad forum and reading about the RMR history there I decided to give them a shot. If I like’em I’ll place an order for 4K more. Also I went to Bruno’s the other day and picked up 2k CCI 500 primers and a pound of Power Pistol and a pound of CFE Pistol to make my first finished rounds. I’ll be loading on a single stage for the first few months until my Mark7 Evolution progressive gets built and delivered. Man am i ever lucky to live just 20 minutes from such a great resource like Bruno’s! Awesome! Cleaning brass as I write this. Can’t wait to get started.  ;-D

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #21 on: October 30, 2018, 05:57:24 pm »
    Good onya' brother.  Welcome to the dark side .  .  .   :beer
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Clifffalling

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 06:56:00 pm »
    Bumping the thread. Adding everglades ammo. I get bulk bullets here.  https://www.evergladesammo.com/
    Also xtreme. They run specials that are pretty good. Really happy with the quality of their plated bullets.
    https://www.xtremebullets.com/
    Flagstaff: Poverty with a view.

thom

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 08:19:10 pm »
    Thanks for the info. just started reloading myself.
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement