Username: Password:

Author Topic: As of today, can you move a personally owned NFA item into an NFA trust later?  (Read 1876 times)

PogoJack

• Contributor
  • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
So I am going to get my feet wet and I am looking to start the process of getting a supressor for a Ruger 10/22.

When I get a bit of extra cash in a few months, I will probably set up an NFA trust.

Question is, if I get the ball rolling now, can I later move it into the trust cheaply and simply, or should I just wait that extra 3 months?

I know the pros and cons of an NFA trust and I have decided that it's right for me at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JK357

Is $200 for another stamp cheap? :hmm

DuneShoot

If you're going with a trust you need the trust 1st.
    If not you have to pay another $200 transfer fee from 'you' to the trust.
    Dumb-yes!

I got a trust from here and it's worked excellent: https://nfalawyers.com/

Bravoalphafirearms

• bravoalphafirearms
    Might check with Trent at AZ Gun Law. Its what he does all day. He can help you set up a trust and is local.
    Bravo Alpha Firearms
    Gilbert Az
    Don - 480-225-9299

j4site

Trusts and Corporations became popular when Obama was getting elected.  It was thought that if you own a company that the government could not take away your right to own NFA weapons.  I call all that BS.  I know people that setup a different Corp for each gun.  Believing that to sell the gun they just sell the corporation.  There is truth to that but is more complicated.  I would just put it in my name.  Easy cheesy.

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    Might check with Trent at AZ Gun Law. Its what he does all day. He can help you set up a trust and is local.
    Thanks.  His office is super close to my humble abode. I'll probably be contacting him this year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

jnojr

Trusts and Corporations became popular when Obama was getting elected.  It was thought that if you own a company that the government could not take away your right to own NFA weapons.  I call all that BS.  I know people that setup a different Corp for each gun.  Believing that to sell the gun they just sell the corporation.  There is truth to that but is more complicated.  I would just put it in my name.  Easy cheesy.

Having it in a trust lets you add others to the trust as beneficiaries, and then they can legally possess and use the firearm.  And you can name a successor so when you die, they get it without delays, paperwork, more transfers, etc.  Putting an NFA item in your own name is pretty dumb and short-sighted, and a great way to get people you love in legal or financial trouble.

Everyone should have a gun trust.  And no, you don't need to pay hundreds of dollars for one.
    AZCDL - Life (join at https:/azcdl.org/ )
    NRA - Endowment Life
    SAF - Life
    GOA - Life
    ASRPA - member

brucea4

OK, how does one get all his NFA toys in a Trust?  I want to add my wife so God forbid I predecease her there will be no problems upon death...Green Valley Tucson area only...

anm2_man

• Contributor
    OK, how does one get all his NFA toys in a Trust?  I want to add my wife so God forbid I predecease her there will be no problems upon death...Green Valley Tucson area only...

Its going to cost you the cost of a transfer stamp to get each item into your trust.   You need the trust first as others have stated.   I personally do no believe there is any attorneys in the Tucson area that specialize in Gun trusts.  Trent at AZ Gun law is a knowledgeable attorney and specializes in Gun Trust.   You should call him.   It may not be necessary for you & your wife to road trip up here.  Most of it can be handled via snail mail.  All  you need is a place where you can sign the papers and have them notarized (Most banks offer this service).   
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

brucea4

Thank you. I will contact them...

ynotaz

Having it in a trust lets you add others to the trust as beneficiaries, and then they can legally possess and use the firearm.

You need to consult an attorney. 

A "beneficiary" does not have a right to control assets of a trust until the trustee distributes assets of the trust.  Only co-trustees have access to assets, including NFA registered firearms.
    Finally found my new sig:

https://youtu.be/yuEBBwJdjhQ?t=46

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement