Username: Password:

Author Topic: Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1 - Savage Question  (Read 981 times)

Parttimer

Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1 - Savage Question
« on: March 02, 2019, 06:47:03 pm »
Can anyone tell me why these units are marked "US Property" at the top of the receiver?  I have done a bit of research and there are several answers to this question.....anyone have the right answer?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

6.5 Gunner

Re: Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1 - Savage Question
    « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:21:35 pm »
    Can anyone tell me why these units are marked "US Property" at the top of the receiver?  I have done a bit of research and there are several answers to this question.....anyone have the right answer?

When we were still "neutral" in WWII, the British contracted savage to build rifles as part of the lend-lease act in 1941.

Long and short of it: You can't lend what you don't own, so they were marked as US property. When December 7th rolled around and war declared the next day, it became a moot point.

The Neutrality act of 1939 and the Lend-Lease acts are thought provoking reads. More than a few people believe that if LL hadn't been approved it would have kept us out of the war, would it have? Who knows...either way, interesting bit of our history.

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 05:50:20 am »
    As a side note there was not a single Enfield offered for sale at the last two gun shows I have attended...I thought that  unusual. At the previous guns shows I had observed some pretty beat up Enfields listed at ridiculously high prices.  Not sure what that means if anything. Perhaps the cost of .303 if a factor...or maybe they have all been converted to "jungle carbines"...hard to say.
    "Does your dog bite"?   Grrrrrr
    "He is not my dog"!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:33:06 pm »
    Prices have definitely crept up as availability has decreased.  They have always had a fairly significant collector base what with all the variants of a rifle that was in service as long as it was but the beaters and shooters are apparently being kept home rather than traded these days.  Ammo availability is not what it once was but there is still some around and the prices aren't completely at nosebleed levels yet either.  I think Prvi Partizan still has it in their production run schedule in the 150 grain, 174 grain and 180 grain bullet weights. 

Biggest problem with keep one running these days is spares and parts for stuff that eventually breaks.  That stuff is getting scarce and is bringing top dollar when you can find it. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:13:22 am »
    I did see a single single Ishapore at the gun show at the Tucson Fair Grounds yesterday. It was in very good condition but they had a $650  price on it which to me was shocking. What Coelacanth said was spot on.  I have way too many of the different Enfield versions and should get rid of some of them.  I have one of the metal British original ammo cans also...which falls into the category of "Why did I buy this'?
    "Does your dog bite"?   Grrrrrr
    "He is not my dog"!

Parttimer

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:29 am »
    When we were still "neutral" in WWII, the British contracted savage to build rifles as part of the lend-lease act in 1941.

Long and short of it: You can't lend what you don't own, so they were marked as US property. When December 7th rolled around and war declared the next day, it became a moot point.

The Neutrality act of 1939 and the Lend-Lease acts are thought provoking reads. More than a few people believe that if LL hadn't been approved it would have kept us out of the war, would it have? Who knows...either way, interesting bit of our history.

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!!  :thumbup

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement