Username: Password:

Author Topic: Accomplishment .... I just HADDA do it  (Read 1458 times)

Curmudgeon

Accomplishment .... I just HADDA do it
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:23:36 am »
Need to reload some .45 ACP soon.  Other calibers are pretty much caught up ....... BUT I guess I had a bit too much time on my hands.

Decided to do a marathon session, and see if I could run some crazy amount of 9mm.  I managed to do OVER 20 THOUSAND rounds.

Pretty proud of myself.  I feel like that was an accomplishment on a Dillon 650.  I did require 2 trips to Dillon to replace a broken spring, and another minor issue, but other than that it was actually pretty easy.  Some days, I'd knock out 200 or so, and some days I'd do a thousand.  I guess it took me about 2 weeks total.

I still have enough polished brass, and components to crank out another 10,000 easily, but I think I made a statement to myself already.

Besides that  .....  My shoulder is friggin' killing me :-P

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Accomplishment .... I just HADDA do it
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:01:29 pm »
    I think you officially qualify as crazy.    :yes   That said, with all the money you saved yourself on ammo you're probably well on your way to being able to afford a powered reloading press.   :woot 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    • Klingons never bluff. nottojtlhInganpu'.
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 12:31:15 pm »
    Woot! That's the spirit.

Better to die on our feet than live on our knees! "The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable." -Sun Tzu

Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:06:26 pm »
    This brings a new dilemma:

As you can see, I am phasing out my coffee containers, for those cool Harbor Freight ammo cans.  BUT I didn't set the 9mm cans on the shelf yet.

Wondering about the weight.  I would hate to have my fancy shelving start to sag in the middle.  Those cans of 9mm, go a bit more than 30 pounds each, and I figure I can go 9 across.

Whaddaya' think?

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 02:06:24 pm »
    Oh yeah - Good job there.  20k is a bunch (even in 9mm).    Most I ever did was 5k of 30-06 in 2 days on my 650 (2x8 hr days) and I was beat.   

As far as that shelf, its probably not going to hold.  On mine I had to prop up the middle with some 2x4's starting at under the bottom shelf, then I filled it with ammo cans and wedged another 2x4 to hold the second shelf up.   This went on for another shelf.  See pics:

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:16:53 pm »
    Oh yeah - Good job there.  20k is a bunch (even in 9mm).    Most I ever did was 5k of 30-06 in 2 days on my 650 (2x8 hr days) and I was beat.   

As far as that shelf, its probably not going to hold.  On mine I had to prop up the middle with some 2x4's starting at under the bottom shelf, then I filled it with ammo cans and wedged another 2x4 to hold the second shelf up.   This went on for another shelf.  See pics:

Yeh.  Bummer if I can't load them up.  I can probably keep 3 cans to the extreme left, and three to the extreme right.  Leave the middle for some cans that aren't so full.  I think I have cans with about 500 38 special.  Although I could apply your idea with the 2x4's under the bottom shelf, load the 9 cans across the front, and probably 4 sideways across the back

RJ

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 02:17:16 pm »
    lol, i did about 4 k over a week or so, probably do another 4-8 k in the next few weeks,  have another 4k on their way 9mm, but i just started the .45s, see how far i get.
    \
    nice job
    rj

DuneShoot

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 04:28:09 pm »
    Nice job!
    Let us know if you need help unloading it  :-P

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 05:19:11 pm »
    Mr Curmudgeon,
    I am impressed.  Where do you get to go and shoot even part of your load?  I know you are not doing this for resale.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 06:33:00 pm »
    We’re gonna shoot out by lake pleasant tomorow if anyone wants to go
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 07:53:55 pm »
    Mr Curmudgeon,
    I am impressed.  Where do you get to go and shoot even part of your load?  I know you are not doing this for resale.

My wife and I shoot weekly at shooters world.  Generally we average 500 to 600 rounds per week, so it does add up.  We switch calibers fairly often, so I'm thinking these nines will last WAY more than a year.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:24 pm »
    We’re gonna shoot out by lake pleasant tomorow if anyone wants to go

LMAO ........  And I don't plan on bringing any 9mm  ;-D

Last hurrah for my bump stock, and a couple of wheel guns

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 06:54:49 am »
    I got 1000 rounds of 9mm for Christmas one year.
    Took me 18 months to use it up.

I could probably go my whole life and not use that stash!  Way to go!
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Iocona

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 10:03:33 am »
      Watch out.  If you keep pulling that lever with the same arm, you could end up looking like this.....

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 04:09:31 pm »
    Ooo somebody needs to start playing with the bat and balls with the other hand
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 04:32:43 pm »
      Watch out.  If you keep pulling that lever with the same arm, you could end up looking like this.....

LMFAO

Curmudgeon

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:15:50 am »

Wy wife checked the specs on my shelving.  Says about 600 pounds per shelf.  I put 13 of those boxes on bottom shelf last night.  Still looks fine today.  No sagging at all.  Starting to load the other shelves today

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 02:31:00 pm »
    Wy wife checked the specs on my shelving.  Says about 600 pounds per shelf.  I put 13 of those boxes on bottom shelf last night.  Still looks fine today.  No sagging at all.  Starting to load the other shelves today

Yes - I didn't notice your bottom shelve was only a single row.   That should work.   I just wish I had some more single shelves since on the bottom shelf I have 2 full rows of .50cal ammo cans (20 total), with each filled with 540 rounds of 30-06 = is just shy 1.5 ton per shelf (Ouch - now I know why my back hurts).

:thumbup
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 05:57:01 pm »
    Yes - I didn't notice your bottom shelve was only a single row.   That should work.   I just wish I had some more single shelves since on the bottom shelf I have 2 full rows of .50cal ammo cans (20 total), with each filled with 540 rounds of 30-06 = is just shy 1.5 ton per shelf (Ouch - now I know why my back hurts).

:thumbup

Brand new Harbor Freight 67th and Peoria right close to my house.  Gotta get some more of those cheap plastic ammo cans.  Phasing out the coffee containers :coffee

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement