Username: Password:

Author Topic: Discolored Brass Question  (Read 5941 times)

MikeT

Re: Discolored Brass Question
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2019, 02:03:48 pm »
I've seen several videos of guys using them to dry their brass. I think they do as good a job as the purpose built ones. Seems to me the Hornady unit works very much like a dehydrator does.

Mike

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

MikeT

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 08:57:43 am »
    Majority of the ordered stuff arrived yesterday afternoon. I unpacked the box, got the RCBS tumbler, function tested with empty drum works fine. The Lyman Dual sifter came no damage of any kind. Frandford Media Magnet tested and it sucks iron. The Lyman Cyclone Case Dryer box and contents all fine, test ran same and found it to DOA. Plugged it in turn up the timer and nothing, no heat, no blower everything dead. Called Lyman this morning talked with a very nice C/S person, Sent them the Midway delivery confirmation via email and they are sending out a replacement with a paid return shipping label for me to return the bad unit. Couldn't ask for better customer service. Disappointed with the unit not working, but it happens.

Mike

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 09:28:01 am »
    Congrats.  Sounds like you're almost ready to get started.

Post some pictures of your first batch of cleaned brass when you get rolling.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

MikeT

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2019, 09:56:55 am »
    Well the drama continues. Lyman answered my email (not good news), they would be willing to send me a new dryer, however they are out of stock and don't expect any more until May 20 so on to plan "B". I tried to contact Midway by phone, first attempt 19 minute wait , hung up. Next try 10 minute wait phone died right after they answered. Tried email got a canned response. Decided to hell with it. This morning filled out a return/refund request and ordered another one from them on sale for 9 buck less than I paid for the bad one. Had to pay shipping this time so it cost me 5 bucks more than I paid for the first one. But at least I don't have to wait for the bad one to get to them and then for them to ship a new one. This way I will have a dryer in a little less than a week and be up and running (hopefully) by the time the bad one gets back to them. It's going to be exciting to see how all this plays out, keeping all my paperwork and emails etc.

Mike

straightshooter1

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2019, 12:24:38 pm »
     :facepalm  uhhh  . . . just use your wife's flow drying in the meantime.   ;-)

MikeT

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 09:53:07 am »
    :facepalm  uhhh  . . . just use your wife's flow drying in the meantime.   ;-)

Did that yesterday. The replacement dryer should be here Saturday.

Mike

rubinschmidt

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2019, 11:51:29 am »
    If your wife is like mine she's probably going to buy a new blow dryer soon anyway, so be a thoughtful, sensitive, modern man and buy her a new one now just because you love her.

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 02:36:13 pm »
    If your wife is like mine she's probably going to buy a new blow dryer soon anyway, so be a thoughtful, sensitive, modern man and buy her a new one now just because you love her.

^^^^ THIS - Amen  :whistle
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

MikeT

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 07:38:28 am »
    No need busy the rest of the week and like I said new dryer arrives on Saturday. she saw her birthday present arrive last night along with a media sifter. Very suspicious woman! Wanted to open it Right Now. She's going to wait until May 19. Still in my office leaning against a safe. Going to move it to a secure spot today.

Mike

MikeT

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 12:49:29 pm »
    The Lyman Cyclone Dryer arrived this morning. Unpacked it after lunch and it actually works. So tomorrow I will do my first load of actual brass into the tumbler and see how everything works out. The dryer is pretty quiet, but seems to move the air pretty well. I'll run the tarnished brass (the actual subject of this thread when I finish this first load of brass) and report back on how they turn out.

Mike

MikeT

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 04:10:11 pm »
    Sunday ran a batch of 75 30-06 brass. Came out looking like new, dryer worked great, am thinking about putting some fine screening on a couple of dryer shelves so I can dry the media in it too. Yesterday ran almost a full load of 300wm brass, somewhere between 150 and 200 cases including all the tarnished stuff. It weighed out a little over 25 pounds with media and water. RCBS says that the tumbler can handle up to 30 pounds, so this was a bit of a test. I let it run for about 2 hours each tumbling and drying. All the brass came out perfect - couldn't be happier just like you guys said it would. Air dried the media, that took until just about noon today. Wife said she found some very fine screening at Hobby Lobby today. So I may be able to dry the pins along with the brass soon. I'll start a new thread if things get interesting with this new project.

Mike

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 08:36:51 pm »
     :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

straightshooter1

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 08:46:54 pm »
    All the brass came out perfect - couldn't be happier just like you guys said it would.

:thumbup    :thumbup

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #38 on: April 10, 2019, 08:46:17 pm »
    thinking about putting some fine screening on a couple of dryer shelves so I can dry the media in it too.
    There is no need to dry the media. Just make sure it is well rinsed and leave it wet. SS pins won't rust if left submerged.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

MikeT

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2019, 07:46:43 am »
    In the instructions from RCBS on their tumbler they state that "Stainless Steel pins should be cleaned and dried and should be stored in a dry location". Further they state "if pins develop rust or corrosion, cleaning the pins in brass cleaning solution will help remove it". I suspect that the pins are not a "true" stainless steel but some sort of cheaper hybrid that can rust and/or corrode. I've seen some of the Youtube crowd talking about drying the pins too. I do air dry mine now, but am working on some screening in hopes of getting them to dry in the dryer.

Mike

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #40 on: April 14, 2019, 09:10:04 am »
    I substitute a solution of Great Value (Walmart House brand) Unsweetened Lemonade Mix, in the small (Koolaide size) individual serving packets. It goes in a spray bottle, and I use it to dampen Walnut tumbler media prior to adding the brass to the conventional tumbler.

The solution causes the Walnut media to swell, and this process needs to be allowed to complete itself before adding the brass. Otherwise the Walnut media will continue to swell once it's inside the Brass; and it will be like chipping out concrete to get it back out.

I start up the tumbler without any brass, give the media just enough spritzes to dampen it, then let the tumbler run about ten minutes to spread the solution evenly and finish expanding the walnut media before adding the brass.

The combined action of the walnut and the lemonade solution will do a serious polishing of the brass. Once the Walnut Media has had a few cycles with the lemonade solution, the lemonade mix can be dispensed with and the sprayer can be filled with plain water. As far as I can tell, it looks like I invented this process.

I discovered something else by accident, forgetting to empty and separate the brass after shutting the tumbler down overnight.

The brass came out with a dull olive green patina.

It is durable enough to survive F/L resizing, does not reflect sunlight to any great degree, and can be easily removed by repeating the Media/Lemonade process without the prolonged soak afterward.

Some may find this unexpected effect to be novel and perhaps somewhat useful.

It also seems to work similarly with copper bullet jackets, but if you do this, I'd recommend treating the ammunition as corrosive and clean the bore with Hoppe's #9 or Windex soon after firing.

Greg
    « Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:18:22 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

tharger

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 05:24:27 am »
    Dawn and limi shine work well in a wet tumbler.  Just do Not use to much Dawn, as it will turn the brass a nice brown color.  Of course if you want nice brown brass.

fr3db3ar

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2019, 11:35:02 am »
    my pins go back in the tumbling tub and air dry.  no issues with rusting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement