Username: Password:

Author Topic: The .30-06 is dead? Say what??  (Read 1473 times)

Parttimer

The .30-06 is dead? Say what??
« on: April 11, 2019, 09:03:53 am »
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/3/29/opinion-the-30-06-is-dead/

Got this article in my inbox this morning and I couldn't disagree more.  Any opinions? 

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: The .30-06 is dead? Say what??
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:50:58 am »
    Just more talking heads doing what they do, talk smack.  The venerable 30.06 will be around long after they are (any nay sayers) are dust. It will be in action as long as brass and bullets can be found for it. Hell, even it's much maligned red headed step child, the .270 still has commercial loads being made for it, and manufacturers producing new rifles in their factories today in that caliber.

The 30.06 is dead(?) total BS.
    Just my honest opinion.

[emoji41]

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:01:27 am »
    many just don't use it much anymore cuz there are more effective cartridges in a smaller package now
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:37:10 pm »
    Yup.  Its dead.   :coffee    Just as dead as the .30-30 Winchester, the .45-70 and several dozen other rifle cartridges that continue to sell well enough for manufacturers to continue producing them every year.   Whatever else you pick in the way of a rifle cartridge may be marginally better than the .30-06 Springfield for a given application but the .30-06 Springfield will cover about 90% of anything you will ever need to do with a rifle.  If you want to reload for it that moves it up to about 95%.  It was, and is, a wonderful tool in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.   

"I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."     William F. Buckley, Jr.

FreeInAZ

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:49:55 pm »
    Yup.  Its dead.   :coffee    Just as dead as the .30-30 Winchester, the .45-70 and several dozen other rifle cartridges that continue to sell well enough for manufacturers to continue producing them every year.   Whatever else you pick in the way of a rifle cartridge may be marginally better than the .30-06 Springfield for a given application but the .30-06 Springfield will cover about 90% of anything you will ever need to do with a rifle.  If you want to reload for it that moves it up to about 95%.  It was, and is, a wonderful tool in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.
    THIS ^

[emoji41]

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:40:29 pm »
    HEY - I will buy all of everybody's inventory of 30-06 Milsurp Cash on the SPOT   :whistle

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Pwc

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 08:23:10 pm »
    Sounds like a discussion on another forum...what is the universal caliber.  Then everyone tries to justify their favorite for specific uses.  Hello..."universal" = available anywhere and can do it all.  Well, most of us won't go to Africa to face the behemoths there, so make universal = North America Continent (30-06 is available world wide tho).  There is nothing that the 06 can't handle from grouse and prarie dogs to the moose, brown, grizzley and polar bear, with the right bullet selection.

So, the 30-06 is the universal all around get it anywhere cartridge because of its terminal performance.

This does not mean there are not more efficient cartridges for specific game / targets, but they can't do it all like the 06.

Parttimer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 08:47:08 pm »
    Sounds like a discussion on another forum...what is the universal caliber.  Then everyone tries to justify their favorite for specific uses.  Hello..."universal" = available anywhere and can do it all.  Well, most of us won't go to Africa to face the behemoths there, so make universal = North America Continent (30-06 is available world wide tho).  There is nothing that the 06 can't handle from grouse and prarie dogs to the moose, brown, grizzley and polar bear, with the right bullet selection.

So, the 30-06 is the universal all around get it anywhere cartridge because of its terminal performance.

This does not mean there are not more efficient cartridges for specific game / targets, but they can't do it all like the 06.

Well said. 

The article states the newer generations want a single caliber to a single use.....I am more inclined to think that is the manufacturer's talking.  :saywhat 

However, like a lot of folks I learned to hunt with my father....so I still carry my go-to work-gun in the field, 1970 Reminton 700 .30-06......still putting game on the table and "almost" as nice as it was 40+ years ago. 

rubinschmidt

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 04:21:02 am »
    Yep, the 30-06 has died as predicted, just like cotton clothing, internal combustion engines and red meat.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 09:50:32 am »
    Hah! Pundits implausibly punditing! They stir the pot, readers get agitated, and the rags sells more adverts. Not a new tale in any way or manner.

I'm about 80% of the way through producing a stock of M-2 Ball loads in 8rd Enbloc Clips. I think there are already about 600rd, in either M-1923 Rifle Belts, or 6-Pocket WWII repro Bandoliers. It's a 'just-in-case' labor of love intended to enable extended play with my 1940 SA Garand. My, my; how time (and brass)  flies when one's having fun! Load = Hornady and Fed Premium brass, CCI 200 primer, 150gr Hornady FMJBT W/C, 50.0gr of IMR-4064. Clips from Ammogarand.

Some folks might consider this excessive, yet I'll have no problem imagining that as far as Garand collectors go, I'm actually just another mediocre Piker.

I still have components waiting for 250 more rounds, and I'm taking my time and doing it right.

Greg
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 09:53:11 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 08:04:51 pm »
     :thumbup
    "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."     William F. Buckley, Jr.

christopherRobin

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 09:19:25 pm »
    Maybe ".30-06 makes it dead" is more accurate.  Still way too many rifles chambered out there to write an obituary yet.  Give it another 50 years and we'll revisit the topic. 

Might be less new arms chambered in such.  But electric/hybrid cars aren't killing the internal combustion engine too quickly either....I hope  :'(

Pwc

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 11:22:40 pm »
    30-06, DC 3/C-47, and C-130 will be around forever.

needsmostuff

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 07:24:54 am »
    Heck , the pundits can not even kill the 32-20 or 30-30 as hard as they try, let alone the 30-06.
    There are a lot of the latest and greatest , gonna supersede everything else cartridges designed in the last 20 years , that are deader than the '06.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 07:54:14 am »
    Heck , the pundits can not even kill the 32-20...

I'll agree with all of the statements above with the one exception of the 32-20.  Yes you can still get it and shoot it.  Does that make it dead?  Depends on where you draw the line.  I sold an 1870 Winchester in 32-20 because I couldn't find the ammo for it and when I did it was old ammo, expensive ammo, it was downloaded for cowboy action, and all they had was a box or two.  I had a hard time selling the 1870 because it was a 32-20.  I would ask "Are you going to shoot it?"  They would respond, no but it would be a cooler gun to hang on the wall if it were in a better cartridge.

So the fact that:
    It is nearly impossible to find or at the very least unpleasant to search for
    It is expensive
    It is low quality
    It alters the perceived value of the gun
    There are much better chamberings in the lever platform as a carbine that don't have any of these issues
    And I'm not aware of any manufacturer making rifles in 32-20 outside of custom bespoke one off gun builders

I'd say that cartridge, if not dead, is in hospice an rattling.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

delta6

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 08:15:18 am »
    I'll agree with all of the statements above with the one exception of the 32-20.  Yes you can still get it and shoot it.  Does that make it dead?  Depends on where you draw the line.  I sold an 1870 Winchester in 32-20 because I couldn't find the ammo for it and when I did it was old ammo, expensive ammo, it was downloaded for cowboy action, and all they had was a box or two.  I had a hard time selling the 1870 because it was a 32-20.  I would ask "Are you going to shoot it?"  They would respond, no but it would be a cooler gun to hang on the wall if it were in a better cartridge.

So the fact that:
    It is nearly impossible to find or at the very least unpleasant to search for
    It is expensive
    It is low quality
    It alters the perceived value of the gun
    There are much better chamberings in the lever platform as a carbine that don't have any of these issues
    And I'm not aware of any manufacturer making rifles in 32-20 outside of custom bespoke one off gun builders

And the cases are difficult to reload....

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 12:24:42 pm »
    Yeah, you have to be careful with them but its a sweet shooting cartridge in either a lever gun or a single action revolver when you get it right.  Loaded sensibly those cases last many reloadings in my experience.  If I were trying to reproduce or better that performance in a modern lever gun or revolver I might opt for the relatively new .327 Federal magnum.  Again, a fairly expensive proposition in terms of factory ammo but if you are a reloader its not really any worse than many other relatively obscure rounds. 

As for the old 30-30, even P. O. Ackley couldn't do much to improve it over its original design.  It will likely be around for at least another hundred years IMO.   :coffee   

You can usually tell a good design not only by how long the original stays around but also by how many wildcats it spawns and the venerable 30/06 Springfield has many.  Some of those wildcats have gone on to become factory loaded rounds in their own right and spawned other wildcats of their own - all of them traceable back to the original cartridge. 

The current grin on my face is the result of finding out how popular a wildcat of a wildcat has become of late.  The 30/06 spawned the .280 Remington which spawned the .280 Remington/Ackley Imroved which has now, in the current 6.5mm caliber infatuation we have, spawned the 6.5mm/.280 Remington Ackley Improved or, 6.5/280RemAI .   Cool huh?    :yes

428CJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 01:38:23 pm »
    What? I guess I will have to  give up my Rem 700 LR  30.06. It holds small groups at 1,000 yards and out. You can take game with it. It don't beat up a old man's shoulder like his 300 Win Mag. Yes, it's going to be around for a long time.

Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast

needsmostuff

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 09:35:11 am »
    32-20 :thumbup

I had a hard time selling the 1870 because it was a 32-20.  I would ask "Are you going to shoot it?"  They would respond, no but it would be a cooler gun to hang on the wall if it were in a better cartridge.

Hey Amigo , I hope they did not beat you up too bad and if they did you probably had better not look at GunBroker completed sales . Unless they are a beat up turd they bring GOOD money. :cursing

True if one dabbles in 32-20 reloading is mandatory ! Sometimes troublesome to reload a few simple tricks make it no worse then anything else.
    Also true is the old guns , while big fun are not where you are going to find sparkling performance. Good but anemic.
    In a strong , modern gun made of modern steel 32-20 can go toe to toe with the 327 fed. :woot
    New guns available , you bet, if you look hard . While all seem to be Single Actions several are available Ruger , Freedom Arms ,Uberti , Thompson Center and even USFA had it as an option.  Marlin did a small run of lever guns several years ago.
    When sold ALL command a oddball hard to find premium price.

If pressed towards honesty  I would admit when hot rodding a 32 I usually go with a 327 ,,,,, it's just that much easier to get the same results. It may eventually take out the 32-20 but,,,,,,
    For now it still has legions of true believers .

But then again I still shoot 225 Winchester, so obviously I seldom see the writing on the wall.  :facepalm
    « Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:41:11 am by needsmostuff »

bill460

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 01:34:02 am »
    I heard the same silly crap about the .300 Winchester Magnum when all the short, fat wonders came out. It was no good, "because it had a belt". Then it was all .300 WSM, or else the .300 SAUM, (remember that turd?) It lasted 5 minutes. Now you see .300 WSM's everywhere.... All discounted. And the .300 Winchester Magnum is still around, and in demand. Hearing some idiot "claim" the .30-06 is "dead", tells me he doesn't have a clue. I hope that writer doesn't quit his day job.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement