Username: Password:

Author Topic: Reloading HELP  (Read 1613 times)

GrabYourGat

Reloading HELP
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:36:03 pm »
Fellow reloaders, I think I done goofed... I just started reloading and I think I just underloaded about 250 .357s. In the load data I was looking at the CC powder measurement instead of the starting grains since I'm using a Lee perfect powder measure but I didn't realize I would still need to set it to be at starting grains cause that's what the scale I'm using measures in.

158 jacketed hollow points, accurate #2 powder and I think I've been loading all of them with 4.9 grains instead of the starting 5.9 grains.The 5.9 grain starting load is supposed to clock in at about 889 fps and I'll probably be shooting out of my Astra with a 4 inch barrel.

Did I just load a ton of squib loads or should I be good to shoot these?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ben

Re: Reloading HELP
    « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:41:32 am »
    Pull a few, weigh the charge, and see where you are. Following the load chart, 4.9gn would put you at roughly 760fps. Only you can decide what is safe to shoot, but that is on the very low end of .38spl velocity territory which you can also shoot in your Astra.

SLOW DOWN.

Weigh each charge individually for the first few. Then run 10 charges in a row, and dump them in the same container. Divide by 10. If that number matches what your charge should be, then you are good to go in that department. Reloading is very exciting at first, and you can forget things in the excitement, but taking good notes And being patient are very important. Also, I typically load about 10 rounds at a given charge for pistol, go to the range, and see if I’m happy with the performance. If so, then I come home and replicate the load in quantities. Perhaps you wouldn’t have been happy with the 5.9gr charge. Testing your loads saves time and components.
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:58:12 am by ben »

GrabYourGat

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:59:42 am »
    Thank you for your prompt response, Sir. I appreciate it. As long as the projectile clears the barrel then I'm fine with it but yeah you're right, I'm definitely going to have to make small batches and test as applicable.

spafxer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:56 am »
    This should be a learning moment for you.

Something in your technique is not right. As Ben said, pull a few and weigh the charge to confirm.

My question would be if you set up the Lee in CC's how did you not weigh the powder load in grains before you started filling cases?

To answer your question about did you make squib loads, no, the numbers you provided are a bit over max 38 special +P but as you know below starting loads for .357 Magnum rounds (I assume you're doing these and not Sig .357, correct?) Have to be accurate in all aspects when reloading.  :thumbup

rubinschmidt

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 04:22:41 pm »
    Another good practice is try to select powders that will overflow your case if you double charge them, and to make it a practice to visually check the powder level in the case if you can.

I like Bullseye and use it a lot, but the visual check is mandatory when I use it since it can easily be double charged.

ben

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:26:39 pm »
    What was the verdict? Did you get a chance to pull a few and weigh the charges?

GrabYourGat

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 01:18:28 am »
    Hey guys, sorry for taking so long to reply. I did end up shooting my rounds and they worked fine, I did end up getting one squib but a friend of mine and myself determined that it was due to possible contamination (based on unburnt powder that was discolored.)

I have since adjusted my measurement procedures and it has been working a lot better since. Thank you guys for your help

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement