Username: Password:

Author Topic: Building a few cans...  (Read 2920 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
Building a few cans...
« on: July 04, 2019, 11:06:41 am »
Pretty fired up! After the ren faire next weekend I should have the extra cash to e file a pair of form 1s (DEFINITELY e file, they are coming back in 10-30 days at the moment). 1 will be a little 1x6 aluminum .22lr can that I'll swap around to different hosts. The other will be a heavier experiment on doing a budget full auto capable 9mm can. Steel tube, pressed freeze plug M baffles, and a stainless radial cone for the blast baffle. I've run a friend's of the same design and with subs it is "giggle quiet". Tube is 1.5" od, so will fit nicely on a 4" chopped cz scorpion barrel under a HB Industries hand guard. This can is dedicated to this gun, so I'm going direct thread and will use rocksett to kepp it in place. Gonna be a bit heavier than really needed, but for just under $300 including the $200 stamp and building from off the shelf parts with drilling being the only machining needed, it's a great proof of concept for sure
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Administrator
    Re: Building a few cans...
    « Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:18:02 pm »
    Hell yeah! I can't wait to see(and hear) how it turns out Steve.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 02:50:18 pm »
    Hell yeah! I can't wait to see(and hear) how it turns out Steve.
    Once I get my tamps returned (Via email PDF, since on an E File they don't send a hard copy), I'll start the builds and take pictures along the way for sure.
    And then, the ever important videos...
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

JT

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 01:07:31 pm »
    I just tried to register for Eform. Government idiots require user ID to be 1st initial and last 5 letters of last name plus a number. My last name only has 4 letters. Wont let me register.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

qkarl

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:54:45 am »
    I just tried to register for Eform. Government idiots require user ID to be 1st initial and last 5 letters of last name plus a number. My last name only has 4 letters. Wont let me register.
    I know a bunch of people with last names that are 4 or less letters. Not surprised at government IQ though.

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 12:47:45 pm »
    I'm registered with 4 letter LN but I have been since they started E-Forms.  Might have changed something but they have been so slow in doing anything I doubt there were changes.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

JT

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 09:42:39 am »
    Found the problem and fixed it. I had to dump the Jr. I filled out the Eform 1 as an individual. I found a tutorial that got me through it. Hopefully I did it correctly. I am not buying any parts until I get the stamp. I am looking at a 9mm and the WIX set up. Any better suggestions? Main use will be on my 357 mag single shot for heavy subsonic 38 spl. It would also go on my 9mm carbines and AR9 pistol.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

ben

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 06:45:03 am »
    Can you post a link to the tutorial?  Thanks.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 09:34:32 pm »
    Found the problem and fixed it. I had to dump the Jr. I filled out the Eform 1 as an individual. I found a tutorial that got me through it. Hopefully I did it correctly. I am not buying any parts until I get the stamp. I am looking at a 9mm and the WIX set up. Any better suggestions? Main use will be on my 357 mag single shot for heavy subsonic 38 spl. It would also go on my 9mm carbines and AR9 pistol.
    Go at least "B tube" size for 9mm or larger (I prefer D tube for pcc). SD Tactical sells tubes as barrel shrouds. For subs, run radial cones from totality industries. First one in stainless, rest in ss, al, or ti, all will work for your intended purpose. Check out the form 1 builders fb group for lists and vids of decent builds.

JT

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 07:19:27 am »
    Thank you Steve. That is some good information.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

JT

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 02:26:37 pm »
    Received an email today to submit the finger print cards. They have to be submitted within 10 days of receipt so I had them done and sent them. Hopefully it keeps moving fast.
    Tutorial; https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/9ukljl/how_to_guide_and_walkthrough_guide_for_the_atf/

Looked at the Mag Lite C cell type tubes available. The maker calls it a walking stick handle with storage cups.
    « Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:29:39 pm by JT »
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: July 22, 2019, 09:18:21 pm »
    Received an email today to submit the finger print cards. They have to be submitted within 10 days of receipt so I had them done and sent them. Hopefully it keeps moving fast.
    Tutorial; https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/comments/9ukljl/how_to_guide_and_walkthrough_guide_for_the_atf/

Looked at the Mag Lite C cell type tubes available. The maker calls it a walking stick handle with storage cups.
    You can do your own prints in the future and save $. Get an ink pad from amazon and atf ill send you fingerprint cards free.
    lol on the walking stick handles

JT

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 01:11:38 pm »
    I got my approval so now I have to figure out what to order for 9mm. I am looking at
    1.5"x6" with cups and blast chamber @ $90 USA.
    1.358"x6" Mono core @$70 USA.
    C cell 1.25"x6.375" or 7.5" with 2 SS cups and 6 aluminum cups @ $120 USA.
    D cell 1.75"x6.8" with K cups @ $24 from China would be really cheap but questionable.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 07:40:30 pm »
    I'd skip the monocore for 9mm. They work much better for .22lr.
    Ks work well. cones are ok. Radial cones are ideal for 9mm, but with totality being shut down, you'd have to make them. M baffles (formed freeze plugs) are quite effective, but heavy. Titanium valve spring retainers work great as well.

JT

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 07:03:47 am »
    Thanks Steve. I ordered the 7.5" C tube with 2 SS cups and 6 Alum cups. $100 shipped USA. Primary use will be on a single shot rifle with 38 spl. Other possibility is a Freedom FX9 pistol. With the 1/2x28 threads it will also fit my 22lr guns but kind of big for that. I have a small commercial suppressor for the 22lr.
    « Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:08:24 am by JT »
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement