Username: Password:

Author Topic: Bullet sizing question  (Read 2285 times)

Curmudgeon

Bullet sizing question
« on: July 13, 2019, 11:40:44 am »
Acme Bullet called me yesterday, and told me that they had some bullets make it out that were not sized, and asked me to check my last order.  (.40 cal)

This particular order, shipped in 4 small wooden boxes, instead of the one large wooden box, like I normally receive (2,000 bullets)

One box is gone.  Already loaded them with my last run of 3,000 rounds, and they are mixed into that batch, and stashed behind my previously loaded .40's

I checked the remaining 3 boxes.  One was fine, sized to .401  The other 2 boxes measure out at .404.  I called her back, and she is sending me 3 new boxes, no return necessary.

Ordered a bullet sizer.  Quite inexpensive, so I basically got 1500 free bullets.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

It's going to be quite a while before I get to those rounds that I recently reloaded.  Definitely a year or more.   We chamber-check all the ammo we take out of my bulk boxes, before we bring any to the range.  There is a 50% chance that there may be 500 rounds with the .404 sized bullets.  If that is the case, will that difference be enough for them not to chamber-check ?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

delta6

Re: Bullet sizing question
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:27:03 pm »
    More or less it depends on the throat and the leade of your barrel. The bullets should shoot fine and safe. No way to predict the accuracy until you try them.
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon....

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 05:35:12 pm »
    Depends on your crimp. Your crimp maybe squeeze it down to size BUT I bet your gonna cut the plating of the bullet. Accuracy should be bad.
    When In doubt pull em man!
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2019, 07:20:22 am »
    Depends on your crimp. Your crimp maybe squeeze it down to size BUT I bet your gonna cut the plating of the bullet. Accuracy should be bad.
    When In doubt pull em man!

Bullets are coated.  I was concerned about the coating if I resize them.  The girl at Acme said should be no problem.  They size their bullets after they are coated anyway.

Forget pulling 'em.  No way to locate those 500 in that last batch, and I'm not gonna pull the whole 3,000

Besides, there is still a decent chance those bullets were good.  I'm hoping 2 boxes were good, and 2 were bad.  I didn't have any of the coating flake off during seating.  That may be an indication they were fine.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 07:31:46 am »
    Measure your flare.
    Of course they will tell you your fine. They messed up.

Sizing dry bullets drag bad from my experience.

Your bullets are tumbled/ polished before they come to you after they size em. So when you do it, it will leave some marking
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

delta6

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 08:11:16 am »
    Acme Bullet called me yesterday.............

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

It's going to be quite a while before I get to those rounds that I recently reloaded.  Definitely a year or more.   We chamber-check all the ammo we take out of my bulk boxes, before we bring any to the range.  There is a 50% chance that there may be 500 rounds with the .404 sized bullets.  If that is the case, will that difference be enough for them not to chamber-check ?

Simple solution.....
    You have indicated that you have some .404 sized bullets that you have not loaded. Load some of them as a test. Go shoot them. You'll have your answer.
    You work hard, discover that success is not a destination but rather a road you travel upon....

Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 08:54:42 am »
    Measure your flare.
    Of course they will tell you your fine. They messed up.

Sizing dry bullets drag bad from my experience.

Your bullets are tumbled/ polished before they come to you after they size em. So when you do it, it will leave some marking

The good thing is, they are sending me another 1500.  She initially told me to just shit-can the bad ones, of if I wanted to, I could re-size them.  Worst case scenario:  I break even.  Best case scenario:  1500 free bullets

Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 08:57:38 am »
    Simple solution.....
    You have indicated that you have some .404 sized bullets that you have not loaded. Load some of them as a test. Go shoot them. You'll have your answer.

Actually, I was gonna do almost that.  I'll seat and crimp one or two, and try them in the chamber checker.  That will answer my question.

Like I said, it's gonna be way more than a year down the road, before I even get to this batch.  I've got thousands waiting in line for their turn.

Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:26:11 am »
    Well guys  .......  LOOKS LIKE I'M GOLDEN  :thumbup

.404 bullets won't chamber check in the EGW  (but they do in the Dillon)

More importantly  ..........  All the settings on the press are what they were.  I noticed a HUGE difference, as soon as I set the bullet on the case.  Wouldn't enter the flare.  AND a lot of the coating shaved off when I seated it.  I definitely would have noticed that.  Soooooo   .........  I'm good to go

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 09:55:24 am »
    very interesting. can you take the barrel out and see if it fits the chamber. I usually run .005 tolerances for neck tension and i think we did something similar to yours. so they MAY fit the barrel
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Curmudgeon

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 10:21:13 am »
    very interesting. can you take the barrel out and see if it fits the chamber. I usually run .005 tolerances for neck tension and i think we did something similar to yours. so they MAY fit the barrel

I've got several .40 cals. but I just took the barrel out of the Springfield because I gotta clean it anyway.  Here ya' go

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 05:43:08 am »
    If you want to re-size those projectiles, this stuff works good.  Been using it for years.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 07:09:40 am »
    If you want to re-size those projectiles, this stuff works good.  Been using it for years.

I was wondering if I should use some type of lubricant.  Thanks for the tip

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 07:37:25 am »
    Ooooo Alox is sticky nasty! You don’t cut that with mineral spirits or anything? And usually you don’t have to lube Coated bullets only soft lead.
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Curmudgeon

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 10:52:56 am »
    Ooooo Alox is sticky nasty! You don’t cut that with mineral spirits or anything? And usually you don’t have to lube Coated bullets only soft lead.

Good to know.  The girl at Acme said no lube should be necessary.  If I encounter any issues, maybe I'll just try a little of the alcohol/lanolin concoction

Curmudgeon

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 10:57:29 am »
    Looking through the posts, I'm surprised nobody mentioned anything about this:

See the round that didn't drop into the EGW chamber-checker?  See how it also didn't drop into the barrel?

That round checked out just fine in the Dillon chamber checker  :hmm

Something to think about for folks who only rely on the Dillon one

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 11:01:20 am »
    Exactly that’s why I always say just use the barrel. Everyone has tolerances
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Curmudgeon

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 11:41:46 am »
    Exactly that’s why I always say just use the barrel. Everyone has tolerances

Just for shits and giggles, I'd like to take the barrels out of all my .40 cals, and see how much difference there is between the different guns.  I'm too lazy though

Curmudgeon

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 07:37:39 pm »
    Tried the bullet sizer today.  First bullet had a tiny bit of coating scratched.  I guess cuz it was a brand new die.  Rand a few more, they looked good and mic to spec.

Put a little lanolin/alcohol lube on them.  Holy crap, now they fly through the sizer like shit through a goose.

Acme sent me a tracking # for the free 1500 bullets today.

I'm a happy camper.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement